This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrMrLordX
    45-49 isn't so bad. Steel Visors are easy to make and easy to sell, but you may lose a ton of money depending on the iron and steel prices on Odin. This would be a good time to either farm a ton of goblin mail/helms and break them down, or to go mining, or both.

Both iron and steel prices have gotten stupidly high on Midgardsormr. I am glad I'm not at this level of blacksmithing anymore *)

btw, iron chains sell for so little because high-level blacksmiths can get 2(possibly more?) iron chains per synth on HQs. A skill 80+ blacksmith would be able to crank them out like crazy. And they probably do, too.
    yeah.. I finally got to 60...
    I started on Nodowas at 55.4, and it took me like 8 stacks of iron sheets and silk threads each on on earthday at full moon to get to 60... failed like 80% of the time at first, but slowly worked my way to 60.... after passing 58, I pretty much was successful on every synth... ^^

I was talking to another blacksmith on Odin who's at 66 now, and he's having trouble lvling it past that.. he said he was trying darksteel picks, and failed 30 times in a row at it... my guess was that his woodworking lvl was too low, but he said he had no problem with mythril picks before. DrMrLordX, do you have any insight onto lvling after 66?

edit: nm.. I saw your update on darksteel picks... I guess I'll try it when I get there... ^^
    75DRK/75BRD/42WHM/40WAR/40THF/40BLM/37NIN/30BST/24SAM/15MNK
    -RETIRED-

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?7810

Comment

im currently on lvl 10 i just got lvl 10 the other night, i wanna start synthing tin ores(scale mails are abit too expensive for me to synth) wheres the cheapest place i can get tin ores from?
      ::Bringing The Pain!!:: <call1>

Comment

Smithing guild in bastok's metalworks

Comment

Hey, it's a great guide but I have one problem: It sucks up my money like no other. What is a good way to make gil to continue levling the craft?(I'm Level 14 WAR, and Level 10 smithing)
          This is my alternate character...

Comment

Nobody?

Comment

Nobody?

Comment

nope nobody, but I have a question, IM lvl 15, I hear you can't synth iron Ignots easily until lvl 16, Tin Ignots wont take me up anymore past 15, so what else can I make real cheap for a fast level, thanks
                MNK:45 WAR:25 BST:24 WHM:19 THF:15 NIN:12 BLM:11 BRD:03
                Alchemy: 58
                Blacksmith: 40
                Fishing: 40
                Cooking: 33
                Goldsmith: 20

Comment

tfung: When doing darksteel picks, set up Fire Moghnancement and keep a bucket close by in case vomiting occurs. I found the losses to be dismaying at first, but eventually, I started making a profit off it. I don't know what the woodworking requirement is to make darksteel picks. All I know is that, at 37 woodworking, I was apparently above the trivial mark(I gained no woodworking skill doing these).

Your experiences with nodowa sound pretty normal to me, though I think they may have altered skill-gain rates when doing risky(trivial 6-10 points above current craft skill level) synths. I think skill gain is pretty much even if you skill up on the same recipe over the course of 10 points of skill(in other words, 56-66 on nodowa should require the same number of synths as before).

Guitarhooligan: Your guess is as good as mine. I've been spoiled by having a decent selection of crafting skills for months. You could probably do alright farming choice items off low-level monsters and doing simple gardening(try growing fire or light crystals or something).

xShagratx: You can actually do iron ingots at 15. You will be taking a risk by doing so. If you can afford it, set up Fire Moghancement(yes, I know it can be expensive).

Comment

yeah... darksteel picks are great when they don't fail... I finally got to 73 smithing, and basically after lvl69 or so, they hardly ever fail... made a tiny profit on those selling to npcs, even when I bought stacks of ingots from AH at 120k a stack... even more profit if I made the ingots myself.

However, from 73 onwards, it's no longer as easy as before... I talked with another NA smither who's at 73, and we're both stuck on what to make next.. seems like every recipe from 73 onwards involves at least 3k loss per synth if selling to NPCs. Some items will sell at break even on AH, but sales are usually VERY slow..
                    -RETIRED-

Comment

I'm going to be taking a small break from raising blacksmithing until I get some more scratch. That may happen 1-2 weeks from now. At that point, I'll try to sort something out, and post my findings once I'm done on my next skill path.

I see 3, maybe 4 potential things to make, but yeah, losses will likely result on all of them. I personally don't mind 3k losses per synth. That's about what I suffered while making steel greaves. Granted, if it takes 40-50 synths per skill point, you're looking at 120-150k gil per skill point. Woop! Not pretty.

Anyway, if you want to post your findings here if/when you find the next best skill path, go for it. I'm going to keep my speculation to myself until I've had a chance to test it with my own money.

Comment

For this craft, how much is a good amount to save up and just completely splurge on this craft? And still make 50% of it back or so hopefully?

Like 100k?
                        And what skill will that get you to?

If you were to craft all the way to level 100 without ever selling ur goods how much gil would it cost?

Comment

Originally posted by blueoakleyz
                          If you were to craft all the way to level 100 without ever selling ur goods how much gil would it cost?
                          My guess is at least 50 mil... if not more.... You can't really survive with crafting if you don't sell back the stuff you make...
                          -RETIRED-

Comment

13 mil on my server will get you to about 90 (i spent half that so far and im 62). Smithing is just a pain to lvl fast, your better off takin it slow and build materials for a week then guild your ass off for a day or 2. BTW makin nodawas SUX, i wanna get as close to 66 b4 i attepmt darksteel picks. I can make them now but i have like 99% failure rate. Plus if i can make darksteel picks i really dont care how fast i skill as long as i dont fail too much. 12k per pick in AH is quite nice, seeing as how i have high woodworkin skill i can HQ elm till the end of time and fund myself plus stack materials. Alson has anyone been doin the guild quest everyday, its quite fun and im lookin forward to the guilding equip ^^
                            Smithing 68
                            Weaving 60
                            Leather 30
                            Woodworking 73
                            Alchemy 50
                            Amazing what one will do to level Blacksmith in this game -.-

Comment

currently im on the Sylph Server and from what ive notived blacksmithing is much more profitable than Goldsmithing. i started out as a goldsmith but am now starting to switch over to blacksmith. thanks for the post ^^ this will help out :D

Comment

I'm a Level 30 RDM and I got my Blacksmithing up to level 11ish with this guide. First off, thanks for the guide. It's been very helpful!.

Secondly, I have a few questions regarding profit. I'm looking at a 130k+ on new items to buy (Dispel, Centurions Sword, etc.) and it's not pretty. I'm going Tin Ingots now - but the price is very eratic on my server. I'm looking at Iron Ingots to make some profit. What do you think? The price for ingots is more than the price to make them (unless I calculated wrong) but I don't know much about skill failure.

What do you think about this idea...or should I wait until I can make Iron Sheets. Will this be a steady way for me to make profit (making tons of cash isn't as important as consistancy and sell rate).

Will this work for me or should I just hunt those stupid Rams.

Comment

Working...
                                X