This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• References for Taskmage

Hey guys! I'm applying for a professional Community Manager position, and I figure I have no better reference than the community I've been administrating for. If your experiences with me over the years lead you to believe that I'd make a good CM for another MMO, and you're willing to take a few moments to go to bat for me and explain why, I'd be super grateful if you'd make a reply in this thread to that effect. If for some reason you don't think that would be true, or feel the need to qualify your statements, feel free to do so as well. I want honest opinions; you don't have to sugar-coat for me. I just ask that you keep all comments sincere and unironic. I don't want to lose a job to Poe's law. XD

Thanks, all! ^^/
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Re: References for Taskmage

Speaking from the perspective of a long-time member and newly appointed Moderator of this community, I can say without a doubt that I have never encountered an Admin with as much of a down-to-earth attitude as Curtis.*

Although he maintains control of the forum from the seat of an Admin, I don't think anyone here truely sees him that way. Most all of us consider him to be a peer; someone we can relate to and feel comfortable talking to. In and of itself, this is not a bad quality. I personally prefer the concept of speaking on the level with someone rather than apealing to a higher power for guidance.

Perspective aside, he does make sure to maintain order and peace within the community. Unlike others, he accompishes doing so by sheathing his ban-hammer and instead chooses to wield one of fair judgment. As it states in our rules and code of conduct, everyone is entitled to the right to explain their actions and be granted a second chance. I have only recently gotten the chance to see how this process works from the Moderator's side of the site, but was taken aback by the number of disputes that have been resolved quitely and discretely behind the scenes.

Curtis has managed to keep in his Moderator team, a staff of uniquely opinionated people who often disagree. It really is genious in its simplicity. As every potential corrective action is taken to the Mod team for judgment, the diversity helps to ensure that everyone's opinions are defended equally.

Although he acts as the final veto power to every incident, I have rarely seen the need for him to use it. Instead, he acts as the judge over our court and manages to keep all of us in check. If you know any of at all, that's not an easy task to do in and of itself.

Since registering, I have witnessed Curtis solve and resolve many peoblems that have occured in both the community as well as the infrastructure of the site. His constant vigilance definately helps to ensure that any problem we encounter is quickly fixed.

For those of us like myself who virtually live on this site most of our waking hours, he has made it among my most enjoyable and stress-free experiences on the internet to date. For the smooth operation of this site and its community he will forever have my appreciation. I would gladly subscribe to and participate in any forum that he has a hand in.

If there were anything negative to say, it would be that perhaps hes a bit too prone to leniency at times, but not without an understanding of when immediate action needs to be taken.

(*It's unsettling to refer to him as anything apart from TM or Taskmage, lol)

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
    99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
    99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

^ Yyg pretty much hit the nail on the head, enumerating several of the reasons why TM/Curtis is not only a well-respected authority, but a well-respected member of our community.

I don't have much I can add to it, myself, but I can note that the community of this forum has remained friendly, fun, and thriving, with members who still participate in it even long after ceasing play of the game that is this forum's intended subject matter. While politics is still a subject that can get too hot to handle for us, this community has tastefully, respectfully, and productively discussed even normally verboten forum topics like sex and religion under TM/Curtis's watchful guidance.

Plus, one time, he lost a bet that required him to eat a hat-shaped object and document the proof of its consumption for any interested parties to see. It took him forever, but he followed through on that bet. If that doesn't tell you how awesome this person is, I'm not sure if anything can.
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Originally posted by Armando
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

To whom it may concern:

I've been a member of this forum for 8 years - just a few months longer than Taskmage has. Although I'm now a moderator, I was promoted less than two weeks ago, as can be seen from the date of this thread; my observations come from the point of view of a regular forum user, not a coworker or subordinate.

Taskmage has always been liked and respected as an administrator. This respect has been well-earned over the years; like any other forum, Dream of Vana'diel has seen its share of flame wars, trolls, and disputes. He has always dealt with disruptive behavior in a timely and impartial fashion. Many of the forum users have been around for years, and we don't always get along or agree on certain topics, but I've never seen Taskmage let his opinions of any user or subject get in the way of his administrative duties; he is often the one that has to be the bigger man and bite his tongue for the sake of restoring order. During times of peace he participates in discussion with the rest of us, which has always made him very approachable instead of coming off as a mysterious authority figure whose only function is to hand out punishment for misdeeds.

In fact, the main reason he made me, Yggdrasil and Murphie moderators recently is because some of the previous moderators have been missing in action for a while now and he didn't want to take decisions unilaterally.

Taskmage is also quick to respond when there are problems with the site. Here's a recent example - Taskmage responded within half an hour of the problem being reported, and resolved the issue in less than an hour despite not being able to reproduce the problem himself. He has also been proactive in reducing the amount of spam on the forum.

In short, I think Taskmage would be an excellent candidate for a role as Community Manager.

Comment

I don't think you'll find a better community rep than TM/Curtis (I didn't know your RL name was Curtis ). His dedication to this community has been nothing short of stellar. He is involved with the community and well respected by probably everyone here (not an easy feat for any one on the internet).

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

While I haven't been frequenting the site as long as other regulars, I must say that Taskmage is pretty much exactly what you want in a forum admin/moderator. He's part of the community, down to earth and is perceptive enough to moderate with more complexity than "rule breaking -> banhammer", which is something most Community Managers I've seen elsewhere are severely lacking in.

I don't really have much else to add. Others have said what I would and they've done it more eloquently.
            Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
            Name: Drjones
            Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Taskmage has been a wonderful replacement for PiNGU in the day-to-day operations of this forum. I feel that the moderation has been unintrusive for the most part and with ample warnings when required. The forums have been up for the majority of the time I visit (which is often when I'm not too busy to stop by) and the wonderful staff overall are indicative of the competant leadership. The only online community I've felt welcomed and comfortable in besides the smaller and private ones that I've been a part of.

Comment

I've spent a few days considering what I'd write here about TM. While I could fill an encyclopedia with praise about his community management style, there are three things that stand out to me as being the most important influences he's had on this community.

First is pragmatism. He always strives to be situationally aware of the repercussions of any given action, but never loses sight of the goal of keeping the community healthy and comfortable for both newcomers and veterans. Results are what matters.

Second is affability. He is unfailingly polite and understanding, even the most irate or obnoxious of people, or the newest of newbies. Being approachable goes a long way towards earning and keeping respect, and he is always approachable.

Last, and perhaps most important, is impartiality. The one thing that anyone overseeing a community must be able to do is to simply take a step back and view a situation dispassionately as an outsider, and TM absolutely does this. Even when he has a personal axe to grind, he is always willing to ask for a second opinion and ask how any given action might be viewed by the community at large.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that this forum is one of the most friendly and relaxed places anywhere on the Internet. We regularly have civil discussions on topics which would result in mass bannings in other communities, because the forum itself projects a certain image which the members not only respect but strive to uphold.

TM has contributed greatly to that atmosphere. His influence is felt not only with his interactions with individual members, but in his interpretation and formation of the community rules that the moderation team enforces.

Comment

Woah, sorry, i missed this post, you should have Messaged me, i would definitely vouch for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X