Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drama and criticism from 5th Aniversery thread

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Feba
    replied
    Re: Drama and criticism from 5th Aniversery thread

    My opinion on the matter would be to make more mods (out of your power, I know), and to keep threads civil. Such as, making a single comment that could be perceived as rude is fine, replying to it is fine, but derailing a thread over it is not. Take this situation:

    A: Should I be a PLD or a NIN?
    B: NINs suck, play PLD.
    C: Are you an idiot? Have you ever SEEN utsusemi?
    B: NINs aren't meant to be tanks. PLD is awesome with hate too.
    D: NINs *are* tanks though, so you can't say they're not good because of that. Personally, I like PLD, but go with what you enjoy more.
    C: NINs are good with hate too, better than PLDs in same cases

    Then even though B and C could both be perceived as rude, take no action.

    In this situation:

    A: Hi, should I play PLD or NIN?
    B: PLD is awesome, play that
    C: B, PLD is alright, but it's nothing compared to a ninja tank, what with Utsusemi and the Ni Wheel
    B: PLD can beat any ninja if the player is good enough, just because you only play with crappy players doesn't mean that NIN is better
    C: Are you braindead? PLD takes much less effort to play than NIN. PLD just has to voke and flash, a NIN has to voke, cast utsusemi, throw shuriken, and cast enfeebles to hold hate!
    B: PLD 'only' vokes and flashes if the person 'only' is a crappy player.

    Then warn B and C. Of course, if B is arguing with C and C is being polite, then warn only B, and vice versa.

    Leave a comment:


  • Eohmer
    replied
    Re: FFXI Fifth Aniversery

    Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
    This is what I'm wondering .. do you think the mods should be stricter about enforcing our standards on off-topic, inflammatory or crude posts?
    Yeah, I'd say so...

    Basically.. one person said they translated text with babelfish... another person yelled at him for using babelfish. :-P

    Leave a comment:


  • Taskmage
    replied
    Re: FFXI Fifth Aniversery

    Originally posted by neighbortaru View Post
    ok just stop it right here. stop with the drama, stop with the bitching. if you want to hold a grudge over someone, do it in PMs. next person to start drama in this thread will get slapped with a warning.
    Quoted for emphasis. Don't. I really don't like giving out warnings and tend to let people get away with a lot, but as far as this thread is concerned it's zero tolerance from here on in.

    Now I kept this thread because there's obviously there's something that needs to be discussed here. Whenever a thread gets this nasty there usually is. People are concerned with the relatively light mod presence lately and some feel that the quality of the site is going down. I'd like to determine how much if an issue this is.

    I'm not really sure what happened here. I personally haven't been around nearly as much as I used to because of a new job that I'm still trying to figure out how to schedule my FFXI life around. The last time I saw the thread it still only had one page, there was some unnecessary off-topic posting that bordered on spam but nothing that I felt really deserved a warning. I figured that topic would get boring and die soon enough and let the actual anniversary discussion start. I'm pretty laissez-faire about moderating and usually it works out because our membership as a whole is pretty responsible.

    This is what I'm wondering .. do you think the mods should be stricter about enforcing our standards on off-topic, inflammatory or crude posts?

    I usually let this stuff slide unless it gets really out of hand. It seems to me that certain members take this as a license to be as crude or insulting as they want and then they're pissed off when they get warned for it because it never got them in trouble before. Myself, I don't really want to be a nazi going around warning every 4-letter word and pulling out the flame-o-meter to see if this insulting-looking sentence is a friendly jab, acceptable criticism, or something I should put the smackdown on. If I have to I will, but unless that's deemed necessary I won't.

    Leave a comment:


  • Feba
    replied
    Re: Drama and criticism from 5th Aniversery thread

    huh, I thought JeanRC left awhile ago. Anyway, I agree, this thread serves no purpose but to cause fights, it might as well be closed. Any valid opinions in this thread have been defeated by people yelling back and forth over their e-peens.

    Leave a comment:


  • Eohmer
    replied
    Re: Drama and criticism from 5th Aniversery thread

    Honestly, I think this thread should be closes all together. Someone started a new one anyway... maybe that one will stay clean.

    Leave a comment:


  • neighbortaru
    replied
    Re: FFXI Fifth Aniversery

    Originally posted by JeanRC View Post
    Feba is from alla before moving back to here, so he did bring the alla shit over for sure. Thats why we got more bitching shit nowadays
    ok just stop it right here. stop with the drama, stop with the bitching. if you want to hold a grudge over someone, do it in PMs. next person to start drama in this thread will get slapped with a warning.

    Leave a comment:


  • JeanRC
    replied
    Re: FFXI Fifth Aniversery

    Feba is from alla before moving back to here, so he did bring the alla shit over for sure. Thats why we got more bitching shit nowadays

    Leave a comment:


  • Vyuru
    replied
    Re: FFXI Fifth Aniversery

    even two or three new mods would help. I nominate Mhuron and that one person who hardly ever posts with the mithra avatar.
    I nominate myself!

    I would be a stern but benevolent moderator

    Leave a comment:


  • Susurrus
    replied
    Re: FFXI Fifth Aniversery

    Less drama and more translations please!!

    Leave a comment:


  • neighbortaru
    replied
    Re: FFXI Fifth Aniversery

    yeesh people...
    feba, might I request that you do less bitching please

    anyway, it looks like the post is up on the POL site now. If it's anything like the previous adventurer appreciations, you talk to a moogle, he'll give you some trivial stats and some junky item. yay!

    Leave a comment:


  • Achaicus
    replied
    Re: FFXI Fifth Aniversery

    Any more news of the 5th anniversary event? Would it be doable for my wife's lvl 12ish character.

    thx,

    - Greg W.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mhurron
    replied
    Re: FFXI Fifth Aniversery

    Originally posted by Feba View Post
    I nominate Mhuron
    Did you hit your head or something?

    Leave a comment:


  • John Doe III
    replied
    Re: FFXI Fifth Aniversery

    Originally posted by 711rocks View Post
    I admit that I make a lot of useless/DB posts, but this really is still my favorite forum for this game. It's definatly the most mature, KI is a joke.
    Good thing you have not seen Gamefaqs (or have?) either way. That is a joke, not just with FFXI but with every single other game.
    Last edited by John Doe III; 05-04-2007, 03:55 PM. Reason: sdfsdf

    Leave a comment:


  • 711rocks
    replied
    Re: FFXI Fifth Aniversery

    Originally posted by Feba View Post
    even two or three new mods would help. I nominate Mhuron and that one person who hardly ever posts with the mithra avatar. If nothing else, they'd be entertaining.
    And yes, a community is a machine, weak link, etc.
    Lavik4mod08

    Leave a comment:


  • Feba
    replied
    Re: FFXI Fifth Aniversery

    even two or three new mods would help. I nominate Mhuron and that one person who hardly ever posts with the mithra avatar. If nothing else, they'd be entertaining.

    And yes, a community is a machine, weak link, etc.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X