Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the heck does this rep system work?

Ok, I have seven green dots by my name and rep power of 18. Yesterday I had a rep power of 17, and checking my control panel it doesn't look like anyone's rated me up since then. ... Ok, now someone has but that didn't happen until after my rep power went up. The other day I'm pretty sure I jumped from 7 to 17.

Meanwhile Icemage and Neighbortaru have more rep power than me, but less little dots. Icemage only has one.

What gives? What do the dots and numbers actually represent and what makes them go up and down?
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Re: How the heck does this rep system work?

I've been wondering that myself for quite some time. Since it's not really used much I haven't bothered, and I admit I'm lax about rating people up/down in any case. But I'm not sure that's a bad thing, since similar systems appear on other forums and don't seem to do much to alter the general tone of the site (not the way having conscientious moderators does, anyway).

Icemage

Comment

Rep power is how much a person's reputation changes when you rate their post. Thus, if Icemage were to rate me up, my reputation would go up 20 points. The green bars are just an indicator of total reputation. I currently have 224 which gives me 3 bars. How much do you have for those 7 bars Task? I suspect it takes more and more points for the greater number of bars, but just a guess.

Your rep power is based on many factors and dependent on what Ping selected when he added the system. On another forum I use that added this, it was the sum of factors. 1 power for every year of membership, 1 powerfor every 1k posts, 1 power for every 100 rep points. Given my rep power went up 2 just after I got 200 reputation points, I would say the last one appears true. However, this leads me to ponder how Icemage has 20 rep power yet apparently so few reputation points. Maybe mods get extra rep power?
      Whm 75 Blm 37 Brd 75 | Bastok Rank 10 | Whm > Rdm

Comment

I have 844 points total. Still not sure how I got them since I've only recived rep probably ten times. I'd assume it was a mod perk except that I would expect Icemage to have more than one bar if that was the case.

That explanation seems to add up. I have above 800+ rep (8), 700+ posts (7), and 2+ years of membership. 8+7+2=17. Icemage has, I assume, 100+ rep, 1700+ posts, and 2+ years. 1+17+2 = 20.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. Have some rep. ^^

Comment

Ah, so that's where it differs. 1 rep power for every 100 posts instead of 1,000. Does seem about right in that case.

Comment

I think donating money changes it as well. I gave someone a few thousand and it shot my rep power way up.
            I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Good call. I just donated 800 gil to you and my rep went from 844 to 942.

Comment

I just donated 2 gil to rones. The amount of gil he now has is what he is after he donated money to the poorest member of ff11! ; ;
                ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage
                  Just sent it back to you. I think we found a loophole in the system

Comment

Hmm. That's not good.
                    There is a small tax, but ...

Comment

How are you checking your actual reputation points? Either I'm blind, looking in the spot, or its some sort of special Mod power that us puny mortals can't access.

Comment

My Settings > User Control Panel. It's on the bar below your subscribed threads that says Latest Reputation Recieved.

Comment

Option A. was correct. I'm blind
                          Thanks TM.

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage
                            Wow that's a major loop hole. 1 gil = .1225 rep according to that ratio. So that means I could buy myself 36,750 rep....Anyone want some gil?

Edit: Just donated 5k gil and got 500 rep. Its an exact 10% ratio that goes to your rep.

Edit2: Extensive testing and playing of Santa has been done as can be seen. I know understand how Ping got so much rep. When he implimented the new gil/rep system, he started off with tons of gil and gave away a lot to mods to distribute to people. Interesting sysytem in that if you give away too much gil, you can't generate much in the bank anymore. The less rep you get now, the more you get later from saving more money in the bank before donating. I need to becareful about my rate ups and downs now.
                            Last edited by Rones; 04-08-2006, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Lol, nice Rones.

Comment

Working...
                              X