This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Before locking up threads ...

I don't consider my position and Pai Pai Master's to be in conflict. We want to know what you think or this thread wouldn't still be open. Establishing a policy is a good thing to do, but when it comes down to it the real rules are defined by the discretion of individual moderators. Both mods referenced in relation to the other thread excercised their own discretion, and while they acted entirely differently, I don't believe that either acted wrongly.

Concerning your PM problems, I'm too new to address that directly. If you have an issue with a Moderator and that person isn't resolving the situation with you to your satisfaction, you should go over their head and contact an Administrator about the problem. If that recourse fails, then feel free to come to the community and decry the failings of the system, but please exhaust the system before you do that. These procedures are in place for a reason, and I'd ask you to respect that.
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

This thread is not still open to argue about moderators.

This thread is still open so we can get feedback from you. I'd like to know how you think we could have handled the situation better, as our decision is apparently incorrect in your opinion. If you cannot provide us with constructive discussion about how you think we can deal with such things in the future, please take your grievances to Private Messaging.

This thread has been moved to Site Comments/Suggestions.
      PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
      Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
      WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
      Currently Playing:
      FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Pai Pai Master
        This thread is not still open to argue about moderators.

This thread is still open so we can get feedback from you. I'd like to know how you think we could have handled the situation better, as our decision is apparently incorrect in your opinion. If you cannot provide us with constructive discussion about how you think we can deal with such things in the future, please take your grievances to Private Messaging.

This thread has been moved to Site Comments/Suggestions.
        i think NT did the right thing, an did exactly what you said. he moved it to a new area cause of the direction of the topic. then he told us to becareful so the thread did not go south. because he felt we still were discussing it rationally. he acted, the exact way in which you wrote.

something aint right when one MOD feels its still an ok thread, an another closes it. thats a conflict of the policy. an basically one MOD saying their OP on the thread is more correct. TGM gave us their final OP on the topic then closed it.
        Last edited by little ninja; 03-28-2006, 10:19 PM.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

Dear little ninja,

Thank you for your concern.

Please be aware that the moderators are given some discretion as to how they apply the rules. Please be aware that each circumstance is different and each thread involves different people and generally we try to be as liberal as possible without being too totalitarian about our rules. Because of this, PiNG provided a general guideline as to what moderators and other administrators should do to maintain order on the boards.

Therefore, due to the generality of the guidelines and the almost impossibility to predict all possible situations to provide exact rules, moderators are told to excerise somewhat reasonable discretion when acting on their powers. Please keep in mind that some moderators prefer a proactive approach, while others are more passive; hence while one moderator may not close a thread, it doesn't mean another will not once they see it. Even if the actions of two moderators given a situation are different, none of them are wrong, and neither of the two have abused their powers. Simply put, they have applied the rules slightly differently. This is the same in the real world with judges ranging from lower State Circuit Courts to Federal District Courts to the Supreme Court of the United States.

Also, it is important to note that we can only patrol so many areas so far, and so much, so we might be able to catch some problems and not others. In this case, we would appreciate if you report such posts to us.

Please also further note that moderators are allowed to give warnings, but cannot by themselves take it back, yet (I think PiNG is going to fix that). Upon a request of a moderator, an administrator can undo the warning, but only an administrator can undo any warnings. (This should change soon.)

If you have a problem with a decision made by a moderator, please PM that moderator to try to resolve it. If that moderator does not resolve it to your satisfaction, you may contact ONE OTHER moderator to ask for a second opinion to try to resolve it with the first moderator. If the result is still not to your satisfaction, then you may contact an administrator (not PiNG) to try to resolve the situation. If you are still not satisfied with the result, you may then FINALLY contact PiNG via PM to ask for a FINAL APPEAL. Please note that PiNG may choose to ignore you, and repeated PMs may result in a permanent ban or total ignore of you from him.

IMPORTANT: What ever PiNG decides is absolutely positively final, no ands, no ifs, and no buts. That is it, once PiNG says it, that ends the discussion. Too freaking bad if you don't like it.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,
          AKosygin
          FFXIOnline Moderation and Administration Team.
          Signature was intentionally left blank.

Comment

As for the thread in question and Neighbor's post before mine, I did not see his post. I had opened the thread and while responding I received a phone call. When I got back to the puter, I finished my response and posted. If I had read Neighbor's post before I had posted, I may have talked to him in PM's (something that users need to do when they have questions) about it.

I personally have never received a PM from a user with a question (pertaining to being a mod). I answer all of my PM questions otherwise. I have a feeling little ninja that no matter what answer you got to your question, it would never be good enough for you based on your posts in the forums. That could be one of the reasons you feel your questions are not answered in PM's.
            Originally posted by Feba
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            Originally posted by DakAttack
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

well AKosygin, i feel that we need the MODS to meet half way between the passive, an the proactive. an we really cant have MODS contridicting each other.

Originally posted by TheGrandMom
              As for the thread in question and Neighbor's post before mine, I did not see his post. I had opened the thread and while responding I received a phone call. When I got back to the puter, I finished my response and posted. If I had read Neighbor's post before I had posted, I may have talked to him in PM's (something that users need to do when they have questions) about it.

I personally have never received a PM from a user with a question (pertaining to being a mod). I answer all of my PM questions otherwise. I have a feeling little ninja that no matter what answer you got to your question, it would never be good enough for you based on your posts in the forums. That could be one of the reasons you feel your questions are not answered in PM's.
              definately needs to be more communications between mods. unless its totally obvious. one mod says be careful, another mod a post later closes it. has happened before.

as for PM's go TGM. im nto saying its you. but i know of a few MODS who never returned an email, especially when all it pertained to was a question. it doesnt matter what answer i was gonna be given, it was the fact i was never answered.
              Last edited by little ninja; 03-28-2006, 10:36 PM.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

Dear little ninja,

So far the mods have not contradicted each other as you have implied, but rather expressed a different view on the application of the rules and what they each feel is better for the boards. Because of this general grey area many threads or rules sits upon, each has to be judged individually and to say half way between passive and proactive, it is quite difficult to define. How much is proactive? How much is passive? And what is considered too proactive and what is considered too passive for a given application for a particular rule based upon a situation?

To outline this down to the tiniest detail would take too long and is virtually impossible for all circumstances to be useful. As such, much latitude is generally given. Maybe if you provided a specific example (link), I maybe willing to entertain the example and give you what [I]I personally[I] think of that specific topic for that specific example.

If you are in the grey area, please expect a somewhat different response from each moderator.

Thank you,
                AKosygin
                FFXIOnline.com Moderation and Administration Team
                Signature was intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by little ninja
                  ... or answer why i even have a warning, when they wrote that i was cleared of all charges.
                  That Warnings: 1 you see is ONLY a historical information. You should have gotten a PM about your warning being cleared. (Depending on what you have gotten warned for, 3-7 days)

It's only for record. These historical records get cleared every 365 Days.

If you feel that you recieved warning points unfairly you are always welcome to talk to me about it. Once in a while I usually go around each history and manually delete all the entries for people that I usually see very active. It seems I may have over looked and probably missed you (There are many pages I have to go through). But even if I did, thoes records are meant to automatically disappear every year.

Manual deletion of the history is only accessible by either me or Akosygin.

When you have a warning point that's currently active you should see status like how it's shown here. (WARNING LEVEL)

ALSO, that "Warnings: 1" is ONLY viewed by your self and moderators, No other users on the forum will see that history. Don't think you are being marked publicly for warnings. That's not the case here.

Hope this explains your question.

-PiNG
                  Last edited by PingTestAcc; 03-28-2006, 11:00 PM.

Comment

actually i remember complaining cause (warning level 2 ) was still showing up after i got the message. now i noticed a red 1 i figured it was still the same thing. only written differently. an apon recieving the warning i contacted the warner. with no response back. after that i sent you an email. no response back =/. maybe you dont remember, or maybe i never it never got sent. not 100% sure either way.

back on topic, i still believe mods should communicate more with each other. its something i used to do along time ago when i did a little MoD. if it was so obvious we were aloud to rule with an iron fist. if it was questionable, then MoDs who were on basically got together an ruled on it. usually it was 2 mods who conversed on the subject, then the apropriate action was taken. usually a warning the thread would be closed.

i cant sleep so if that sounds like im rambling. i will word it better on more then 3 hrs sleep.

Comment

To continue with the discussion, I maintain threads should only be locked in extreme cases where the content is in extreme violation of good taste, decency, and risking the continuation of the board such as posting material which could legally damage the board, its members, and staff.

If left to themselves most threads eventually die out when people either reach an agreement, whether that be agreeing to differ, or otherwise. The actions of TGM locking that thread left a bad taste in my mouth and doesn't bode well for her future moderation style. Call me elitist, but I take umbrage to someone who has been around on these boards less time than me suddenly enforcing what she feels is right and wrong on what was once a melting pot for players from many walks of life with many differing viewpoints. If we're now expected to adhere to the values of middle America someone please confirm this now and I'll walk away from these boards for good.

Comment

Originally posted by little ninja
                        actually i remember complaining cause (warning level 2 ) was still showing up after i got the message. now i noticed a red 1 i figured it was still the same thing. only written differently. an apon recieving the warning i contacted the warner. with no response back. after that i sent you an email. no response back =/. maybe you dont remember, or maybe i never it never got sent. not 100% sure either way.

back on topic, i still believe mods should communicate more with each other. its something i used to do along time ago when i did a little MoD. if it was so obvious we were aloud to rule with an iron fist. if it was questionable, then MoDs who were on basically got together an ruled on it. usually it was 2 mods who conversed on the subject, then the apropriate action was taken. usually a warning the thread would be closed.

i cant sleep so if that sounds like im rambling. i will word it better on more then 3 hrs sleep.
                        Hey, just cool down a bit and relax.

We'll get together and figure things out. I give freedom to moderators and make all of them able to moderate all parts of the site. Most of times I trust the moderators to take their own approporiate action. The reason is sometimes things needs to be shutdown faster than it takes times to discuss about it.

What we used to do was lock -> discuss -> unlock or move to moderated archive forum. Perhaps that will need to comeback, but for now I do not wish to put extra "steps" into moderating. But rules on moderating is never in stone, so if it needs to be changed, It will be.

I always tell new moderators to take it easy and don't treat moderating as a choire, because I really hate giving unneccessary burden on people. I treat giving permission to moderate on these forums as simply another "Rank" that anyone will able to do.

It is very rare that we run into arguments with members. Feel free to contact me regarding anything if you have any more questions.

As for your warning history, i'll manually clear it. It may not have been explained properly in first place. I'll explain in a different article/thread about entire warning system and how it works.

-PiNG

Double Post Edited:
                        Originally posted by Grizzlebeard
                        To continue with the discussion,

I feel there WILL be no need to continue on this discussion, it'll be looked and discussed by all moderators. There's plenty of information collected already.

I maintain threads should only be locked in extreme cases where the content is in extreme violation of good taste, decency, and risking the continuation of the board such as posting material which could legally damage the board, its members, and staff.

The threads are indeed locked in those extreme cases and would be good depending on other cases. But don't you feel it would be good to lock it before those extreme contents are discussed?

If left to themselves most threads eventually die out when people either reach an agreement, whether that be agreeing to differ, or otherwise.

From my experience, it is VERY rare case when a thread dies just by letting it go in a heated discussion. heck it almost sounds like that we won't be needing moderators? We sometimes WISH people can reach an agreement.

It is due to the fact that there are countless types of people and just way too many people with different views. This has been proven during the beginning days of this forum back in 2001. Yes, there are threads where it eventually died out, but after months, sometimes year long thread either comes back to life after a year of dormant or a new person reading them are offended thus start of another discussion regarding that post.

In my opinion, if a thread is started with a topic, and once that topic is discussed and answered, that should be the end of it. Or in most cases... hopefully.

The actions of TGM locking that thread left a bad taste in my mouth and doesn't bode well for her future moderation style. Call me elitist, but I take umbrage to someone who has been around on these boards less time than me suddenly enforcing what she feels is right and wrong on what was once a melting pot for players from many walks of life with many differing viewpoints. If we're now expected to adhere to the values of
                        middle America someone please confirm this now and I'll walk away from these boards for good.

I'm sorry, but I don't pick moderators from just figuring out how long they've been on the site. As I explained in other post. I pick them depending on how helpful they are in discussion of any given topic, and how they answer all topics. There is no way I can go around reading every single post and putting a name to it. They are sorely picked by all other moderators (most cases) after a discussion or I pick them up as I feel. Not fair? DON'T CONTACT ME.

Another thing is, since about few years ago I have taken out many steps into helping a moderator moderate. I'm now used to letting each moderator think for them selves and take appropriate actions them selves. If there is any problem with how each moderator is moderating, contact him/her first (And please don't be sending rude comments and tell a moderator how they should be moderating, instead perhaps tell them how you would've handled the problem or something similar in your views), than if it can't be resolved CONTACT ME.

If you feel that this system I'm using is unfair, I'd like to say "Too Bad", but as always, if you can tell me more fair way to run the system. Please do tell me, I'm always open for suggestions.

There's no way to run a forum perfectly, No matter what happens, even if the rules are made to change there's always complaints caused from it. I'm not holding anyone down and begging them to stay on FFXIOnline.com or any of my other sites. This isn't being run by a company who's out to get as many people to hit their site either. So if you feel offended it is probably best to leave. I REALLY hate to have to retype all this every time a comment is made regarding any of the moderators on the site.

Please don't take this response personally either. Just wanted to let you know on my views.

-PiNG
                        Last edited by PiNG; 03-29-2006, 12:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Wow. Ok, since everything has been talked about to death, I just want to make one comment.

Good job to all moderators and administrators on all their hard work.

Different moderators handle things differently (Different strokes for different folks)
                          That being said, I really thing that what Grizzlebeard said was uncalled for, since this is a INTERNET board it is approached from a INTERNET and World Wide view. Many people do not share the same views with many people. I can live a few blocks from AKosygin and some of my views are not shared by him nor some of his views are shared by me. That does not necessarily mean that all of us are from Middle America. We are all different, we are all human, we all make mistakes. (except PiNG he's beyond mistakes rofl)

Anyways, lighten up? Discuss in PM with moderators, maybe they will reopen that post, maybe just CHANGE THE FRICKIN' TITLE MIGHT BE EASIER!!!! just say "I declare a boycott on FFXI" geez people, there's always a easy button, just gotta find it.
                          Hacked on 9/9/09
                          FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Well consider if the title had been changed early on in the thread, what do you think would have happened? That would have started a similar storm about mods abusing their power by altering things and it would have probably started a much earlier, and possibly uglier, storm about the use of Jihad etc. I had considered changing the title but realized that this would probably be the outcome so I left it and hoped that people would be mature about and they were for the most of the life of the thread.

But in all honesty, the thread had served its purpose. There wasn't much substance to the thread beyond "yes you deserved the slap on the wrist" or "no you didn't deserve it". Then the pot was stirred about a religious subject and not only is that totally off topic but also a potential powder keg. So before there was a flamefest, warning points issued, and most important to me, people hurt and offended, I closed the thread. So sue me for thinking of our members feelings.
                            Originally posted by Feba
                            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                            Originally posted by Taskmage
                            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                            Originally posted by DakAttack
                            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

there's always a easy button, just gotta find it.
                              yep, it's called the new thread button

If you feel that strongly about discussing the "etiquette" of /shout, start a new thread about it. Just leave religion out of it.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom
                                Well consider if the title had been changed early on in the thread, what do you think would have happened? That would have started a similar storm about mods abusing their power by altering things and it would have probably started a much earlier, and possibly uglier, storm about the use of Jihad etc. I had considered changing the title but realized that this would probably be the outcome so I left it and hoped that people would be mature about and they were for the most of the life of the thread.
                                I don't really have a problem with how things were handled, I thought they were fine. You know how online discussions are, people are always trying to infringe their views upon you no matter what. (take advertisement for example, those damn annoying pop-ups and pop-unders) It is an inevitable factor of life, where others will always try to influence your views.

Maybe if discussed with Jadeniteshade (Kerrigan) she may have been ok to change the topic title and remove all references of the word jihad. (I think she said that she's calmed down about it.) It was a valid discussion that was being talked to death. I havn't seen page 50 of anything anywhere on this forum. That might be a good thing or it might be a bad thing. Who knows! We've never reached it before. I know this may just be more work for the mods, so perhaps the easiest way to remedy this situation was just to close it.
                                Hacked on 9/9/09
                                FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Working...
                                X