No announcement yet.

What games are you currently playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What games are you currently playing?

I still think The Moon stage is likely the best video game melody of all time, and I adore Virt's spin on it. I'm a couple of levels into Ducktales Remastered but have been splitting my time between that, Dragon's Crown and The Last of Us. My backlog is never going to be cleared at this rate...

Icemage

Comment

I don't understand the appeal of the moon stage theme. It's a decent enough tune I suppose, but it's not the holy idol the internet says it is. It doesn't hold a candle to a lot of what's out there. I could rattle off examples all day long, or I could just point to Chrono Trigger's soundtrack and guffaw at all the subsequent rebuttals.
      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
      Name: Drjones
      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Hmm, if we're talking favorite gaming tracks of all time, there's just too goddamned many to pick from.

As far as classics go though, toss up between Wily Stage & Bubble Man from MM2.

EDIT: Damn it, now I can't resist...

sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
          I don't understand the appeal of the moon stage theme. It's a decent enough tune I suppose, but it's not the holy idol the internet says it is. It doesn't hold a candle to a lot of what's out there. I could rattle off examples all day long, or I could just point to Chrono Trigger's soundtrack and guffaw at all the subsequent rebuttals.
          I think what's special about the Moon Theme is it feels like one of those tuns that takes flight on its own. It stands out amidst an already great soundtrack as something just a bit greater. Everyone heaps praise on Super Mario Galaxy's soundtrack, but when you go off humming or whistling something from it, its likely Gusty Garden Galaxy. Koji Kondo has done loads and loads of great work for Nintendo over the years, but I wouldn't be surprised of Gusty Garden Galaxy was the track Nintendo started revisiting for years to come. Moon Theme is on that tier for me.

Were there any other reason for people loving it so much, well, Hiroshige Tomomura seemed to have a short career and this game may have been where he peaked. That and Ducktales was among the first games based on a cartoon license that was really, really good. Probably helps it was built on Megaman's game assets and some of its team members, too.

Comment

This week's Jimquisition makes it hard to listen to Duck Tales music ever again

- - - Updated - - -

How I react to getting a Cash Drop on Payday 2

Payday 2: A Normal Reaction to Getting a Cash Card Drop. - YouTube
            Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
            Reiko Takahashi
            - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
            Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Why I no longer bother with stealth in Payday 2
              Reiko Takahashi
              Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Over 100 hours later, Street Fighter IV is still really fucking hard and really goddamn frustrating. I don't know how to get better at this game and the internet doesn't appear to be able to help in any meaningful way.

Comment

Well, I was almost excited for Soulcalibur II HD, then Namco showed they're not giving the arcade version any love at all and just peddling the console versions with their pandering gimmick characters minus Link. Not that I wanted Link back - he and Spawn were terrible additions in terms of the game itself, but they're adding Spawn anyway. There's no Link because there's no Wii U version of the game.

With online play and servers and "the cloud" the arcade version's Conqust Mode totally could have been in the cards for edition of the game, but it appears Namco is just going to give us the watered-down console port, which is Arcade Version F minus its best feature.

Conquest Mode was more or less a singple plyer practice mode. You'd stick in your tokens, enter a login name and password, then play against five other characters. The thing was that you were challenging five characters based on the AIs of other players who used that particular arcade coin-op. As you played through Conquest Mode, an AI would e built around your playstyle of your chosen character and when your characters faction was challenged by another player, it was possible you character would later be tapped to fight them. Your character would fight in your stead and your win/loss ratio would continue even while you weren't playing.

This is kind of what Dragon's Dogma did with pawns, except the difference there is that your pawns are put up online and hired by other players, those pawns go out on quests with those players and then come back to you with new knowledge of the world, its quests and improved stats and gear they came upon. Forza 5 is touting something along these lines as well. So with modern games catching up to this asychronous multiplayer concept, its kind of sad Namco didn't take advantage of something that added some replay value for people that just prefer a short single player game.

Conquest mode was great for just stopping in the arcade with what little time you had and wasn't a big time commitment, yet if you somehow missed your friends, there was still a chance you could fight them. Imagine being able to challenge people from your friend's list in that way, even when they're at work or not playing that night. It gives you a totally different way to talk shit to each other later.

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
                    Over 100 hours later, Street Fighter IV is still really fucking hard and really goddamn frustrating. I don't know how to get better at this game and the internet doesn't appear to be able to help in any meaningful way.
                    Originally posted by Armando
                    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                    Originally posted by Armando
                    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                    Matthew 16:15

Comment

Guess which game I haven't been playing! (or rather, haven't been able to play)

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
                      sigpic

Comment

It kind of amazes me people still complain about stuff like that.

I mean, I get why people are excited to play a new MMO - or in this case what seems to be what's now a very solid MMO revamped and relaunched - but shit like this ALWAYS happens during the launch of an MMO. Why do people keep expecting it to be otherwise? when people just pack in to the first servers they see, of course there's going to be issues.

I always tell people to just wait two or three weeks to start a brand new MMO. By then the server congestion has died down.

Comment

Played the Killzone Mercenary "beta" on PS Vita.

Very pretty graphics with occasional pop=ins.
                          Confusing objectives.
                          Sluggish, janky controls.
                          Pointless touch elements, backtouch nonsense that makes you sprint by accident (thankfully it can be turned off).

At the very least its better than Black Ops Declassified and Resistance Burning Skies, but its still not making a strong case for the FPS on Vita. Perhaps Borderlands 2 will.

Comment

Listening to the soundtrack of Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, I realize that game might actually do a better job of executing Rez's novelty mechanic of creating your own beat/tune. Some of the music in 3rd Strike really is just a back drop for all the sound effects of the fight to be arranged on.

Comment

How are you still having issues with ARR? They pretty much fixed everything last week.

I want to get Outlast sooo bad, but I'm gonna wait for the PS4 version so I can live stream it on twitch ^^

Rocking Borderlands 2 in the mean time. My buddy and I beat TVM finally, and I'm just messing around gearing up my Zer0 for UVM - I already have a Bee, but I'd like to try for one with Corrosive Immunity. Also managed to get my hands on an Unkempt Harold (sadly wasn't Double Penetrating) and all I have to say is SWEET JESUS OP PISTOL IS OP! Particularly with The Bee... Got a nice Leech grenade off The Warrior as well, though I still want to farm Boom Bewm for their legendary (for more crowd control if needed - Leech is my primary for keeping myself alive.)

My friend runs a Turret-oriented Axton so he's usually all the CC we need, but Ultimate is a lot scarier than True Vault Hunter so all bets are off. My favorite thing about our setup is we basically just picked what we liked aesthetically/thematically and as it turns out, it's a rather OP combination. I think the only combo that could have been stronger would have been if I'd gone with either Maya or Krieg (Krieg wasn't out at the time we began though) but even so we're basically at the point where we can slaughter everything but Seraph Guardians with ease.
                              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

The only issue I'm having with ARR is that the WoW Elitists are still plaguing endgame with "Speed Runs" that are doomed to fail because they are doing it with randoms and not guild groups. But they should have fucked off back to WoW at the end of the month anyway. Half of the raiders from my SWTOR server are playing on Balmung anyway so it's really easy for me to get groups now they know who my character is.

That and BLMs are in HUGE demand for endgame so I literally only have a two minute wait to get into a premade group.

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                                Played the Killzone Mercenary "beta" on PS Vita.

Very pretty graphics with occasional pop=ins.
                                Confusing objectives.
                                Sluggish, janky controls.
                                Pointless touch elements, backtouch nonsense that makes you sprint by accident (thankfully it can be turned off).

At the very least its better than Black Ops Declassified and Resistance Burning Skies, but its still not making a strong case for the FPS on Vita. Perhaps Borderlands 2 will.
                                I tend to call FPS on the Vita glorified Tech Demos. They are great fro showing off that the machine can do...It's just a shame there's no real gameplay to talk about.
                                Reiko Takahashi
                                Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Working...
                                X