Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DakAttack
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Originally posted by Armando View Post
    You're essentially forming a habit. For example, there's a vending machine very close to my cubicle at work. When I'm sleep-deprived, I tend to eat more, and resort to buying Pop Tarts from the vending machine. If I do this multiple times in the same week, I start to get urges to buy Pop Tarts even once I've stopped being sleep-deprived - but only at work. I don't get those urges when I pass Pop Tarts at the supermarket, or even when I see Pop Tarts in other vending machines at my work place. When my wife comes over on the weekends we generally grab sushi or pizza at some point. Having her in my apartment acts as a habit trigger. If she's around, I start to think about those foods.

    The trick is to figure out what your triggers for eating certain foods are and then try to associate that trigger with different foods.
    This.

    Originally posted by Malacite View Post
    Never-ending battle of will. The psychology behind food is really interesting - like associating a certain food with a given activity (e.g. I only ever eat popcorn when I've got a movie to watch late at night, and usually a horror flick at that).
    And this. I associated Mountain Dew and Amp with good memories. I used to play FFXI for six to eight hours, and drink Mountain Dew the entire time. Whenever I sat down to play FFXI, I wanted a twelve pack of Mountain Dew right there beside me. I've been drinking Amp for a while now, and I've associated with a lot of different games. It's really hard to sit down, now, and play League of Legends, Battlefield, DayZ, Left 4 Dead, etc, without craving an Amp.

    When I'm at work I want donuts, and when I have donuts I want Amp. I have a lot of good memories of working the weekends, feeling relaxed with an easy assignment, and snacking on donuts some good soul brought in. Every day at lunch, I fight the urge to drive down the Dunkin Donuts/gas station on the corner and load up on donuts and Amp. My biggest regret is that the people who work there know who I am and what I like to order! That's embarrassing.

    It is really hard to get past this stuff, and it's the very first step. If I don't, no amount of exercise, T3, or SARMs will help me.

    Apologies for the rant.

    Leave a comment:


  • Malacite
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Originally posted by Caspian View Post
    So far the only side effect I've experienced is some wickedly bad gas. Like damn near choking myself out, bad. Probably more than you needed to know, but seriously, fucking awful.

    Meat, especially red meat also gives BO if you eat too much.


    EDIT: Yeah every time I'm in the super market I take just one glance at the sushi and it's nothing but pure temptation. I know I'll get far more value by going to the all you can eat place down the road, but goddamn I love me some sushi and it's really, really hard to resist buying it.

    When I'm at home I might get the odd hankering for something, but usually I don't care too much what I eat - I can be picky about some things (mostly veggies) but generally whatever meal plan is offered I go for it. But at the stores? FML @__@

    Never-ending battle of will. The psychology behind food is really interesting - like associating a certain food with a given activity (e.g. I only ever eat popcorn when I've got a movie to watch late at night, and usually a horror flick at that).

    Leave a comment:


  • Armando
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Originally posted by Caspian
    Read a study that said the more you eat sweets and such, the more likely you are to crave them. I used to drink upwards of 6 or 7 Dr. Peppers a day. I first scaled back to one a day at lunch, then just started having them every week or so. The less I drank them the less I wanted one. Same with sweets and even potato chips.
    You're essentially forming a habit. For example, there's a vending machine very close to my cubicle at work. When I'm sleep-deprived, I tend to eat more, and resort to buying Pop Tarts from the vending machine. If I do this multiple times in the same week, I start to get urges to buy Pop Tarts even once I've stopped being sleep-deprived - but only at work. I don't get those urges when I pass Pop Tarts at the supermarket, or even when I see Pop Tarts in other vending machines at my work place. When my wife comes over on the weekends we generally grab sushi or pizza at some point. Having her in my apartment acts as a habit trigger. If she's around, I start to think about those foods.

    The trick is to figure out what your triggers for eating certain foods are and then try to associate that trigger with different foods.

    Leave a comment:


  • Caspian
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Originally posted by Malacite View Post
    You wanna be careful with your protein intake by the way, as high protein diets can cause hair loss. Proteins also blunt the impact of sugars in the bloodstream - it's generally advised not to mix proteins and carbs, as it makes things harder to digest but there are cases where it can be handy - particularly if you want to "stretch" the sugars for a workout.
    So far the only side effect I've experienced is some wickedly bad gas. Like damn near choking myself out, bad. Probably more than you needed to know, but seriously, fucking awful.

    Leave a comment:


  • Malacite
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Well, Food is something I love and I personally refuse to cut out all the stuff I love, even if it's bad for me. It's also why I don't "puss out" and go for the diet crap - I'd rather have the full experience if you will, just less often so I don't go nuts.

    I have a really, really bad sweet tooth but I've learned to curb that by snacking more on fruit lately, or a tiny piece of dark chocolate (which is good for your heart). The bakery section is still my favorite part of the grocery stores lol, but I force myself to resist the temptation. Another great option for dessert is Breyer's new frozen yogurts. They're every bit as tasty as their ice cream but with far less fat and sugar. Baking your own sweets is another great option since you can control the ingredients (I'll take a homemade soft-baked oatmeal cookie or some processed, hard storebought crap any day) and fun too (well for me it is - I love baking, I just don't get to do it very often.)


    You wanna be careful with your protein intake by the way, as high protein diets can cause hair loss. Proteins also blunt the impact of sugars in the bloodstream - it's generally advised not to mix proteins and carbs, as it makes things harder to digest but there are cases where it can be handy - particularly if you want to "stretch" the sugars for a workout.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aksannyi
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Same diff

    Leave a comment:


  • Mezlo
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
    (and Uranus, for that matter)
    ftfy

    Leave a comment:


  • Aksannyi
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    That worked for me with fast food because if you go long enough without it, it fucks your stomach (and your anus, for that matter) all up. So I don't eat it very often to the point where I don't really want it anymore.

    With things like ice cream and chips, I crave them all the time, to the point where I have left my house for the sole purpose of acquiring them, even if it's been weeks since the last time I had any. So I've found it true to a point, but certain foods I just don't have the willpower to give up entirely.

    Leave a comment:


  • Caspian
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Read a study that said the more you eat sweets and such, the more likely you are to crave them. I used to drink upwards of 6 or 7 Dr. Peppers a day. I first scaled back to one a day at lunch, then just started having them every week or so. The less I drank them the less I wanted one. Same with sweets and even potato chips.


    In other news: Upping my protein intake is finally taking effect. Gained 5 pounds in the last month. All muscle near as I can tell. Definitely noticing more definition in my arms and shoulders. Feel good and now I don't look like I'm skin and bones (well, I still do, but slowly less so)

    Leave a comment:


  • Malacite
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    IMO, cutting out all the things you love is probably the worst thing you can do - it's only going make the craving worse and worse.

    You're actually better off "treating yourself" once a week or so. Life's no fun if you can't even enjoy the food you eat. It's all about moderation & life style. Just look at the French, they eat some of the fattiest foods there are and drink plenty of alcohol, but it doesn't affect them negatively - Stress is far, far worse for you and while I'd like to avoid this thread getting political, Americans are being worked to death and for very little gain (just the opposite if anything, except for those at the very top anyway).

    Leave a comment:


  • DakAttack
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    I use the term loosely. There are some side effects of hyperthyroidism that you're looking for and some that you're not.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mezlo
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
    I'm also taking T3. About .5mgs a day to induce hyperthyroidism.


    - - - Updated - - -

    "When taking T3 for weight loss, the aim is to increase the levels of T3 to the edge of the upper limit while not stepping over and setting off hyperthyroidism."

    - - - Updated - - -

    "To do that, it is important to closely monitor the plasma levels of T3 while taking the supplement.

    Where this is not possible, clear signs of hyperthyroidism such as irregular, rapid heartbeats should be the indication to stop T3 supplementation."

    Leave a comment:


  • DakAttack
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Originally posted by Mezlo View Post
    Holy shit! You're doing something else too other than eating smaller portions with that kind of water loss weight loss.
    Whenever I lose or gain weight, it's always pretty quickly. I've cut out soda, donuts, and pizza, my biggest weaknesses. I'm also now eating around every four hours, beginning at 8am, so that I get a meal one hour before I leave work and I'm not tempted to stop for food on the way home.

    I'm also taking T3. About .5mgs a day to induce hyperthyroidism.

    Leave a comment:


  • Malacite
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    You should actually be nomming every 3~4 hours truth be told. Even if it's just a tiny little snack like some raw carrots or nuts. By munching just a tiny bit every so often you help keep your blood sugar more regular and it curbs your overall appetite at meals.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mezlo
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
    I've lost about 9 pounds over the past 7 days.
    Holy shit! You're doing something else too other than eating smaller portions with that kind of water loss weight loss.
    Last edited by Mezlo; 02-10-2014, 07:54 AM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X