Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 Premier Site Summit . . . OR, Why Has Not Anybody Made a Thread On This Yet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008 Premier Site Summit . . . OR, Why Has Not Anybody Made a Thread On This Yet?

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
    You know, the argument about the alliance that gets the kill... and the title...

Dont HNMLSs have point systems to decide who gets which drop? They kill HNM multiple times so more people can get the drops, can't the same thing be done with AV? If people want the title so bad, kill it multiple times...
    In my defunct ls, the person that got the minerva's ring left the ls and I believe he quit the game not too long afterwards. I don't know, the thought of all that work/effort and getting such an awesome drop and then people quitting/leaving etc just makes me sick to my stomach.
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

• Re: 2008 Premier Site Summit . . . OR, Why Has Not Anybody Made a Thread On This Yet?

And so that begs the question of why even bother making these things so god damned hard/time consuming in the 1st place.
      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
        You know, the argument about the alliance that gets the kill... and the title...

Dont HNMLSs have point systems to decide who gets which drop? They kill HNM multiple times so more people can get the drops, can't the same thing be done with AV? If people want the title so bad, kill it multiple times...
        While it sounds simple enough, it ignores the fact that he's near impossible to actually kill, let alone do it repeatedly. With monsters like him, where you need so many for so long and have very little chance at actually winning, a different system should be in place for the titles at least. Maybe something like the Dash Sash event a while back with a ??? spawning on the ground that only people who engaged the mob can click or something.

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
        And so that begs the question of why even bother making these things so god damned hard/time consuming in the 1st place.
        Because people want fights that are hard and time consuming. And while 6 man BCs and other battlefield type mobs may be good for some, for many others they're not worth doing because they're too easy. With Mobs like AV, and now the Warden, people can say there is still a monster to put up a fight against the best they have.
        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
          Because people want fights that are hard and time consuming.
          1 in a 10,000 maybe. Everyone else who is honest about it wants something challenging enough to allow them to wave their e-peens with the kill title while easy enough to allow them more than a fair chance at obtaining "must have drop #4".

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
            While it sounds simple enough, it ignores the fact that he's near impossible to actually kill,
            Once again, Ziero, you're making assumptions based on what we know about AV.

WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT AV IS OBVIOUSLY NOT THE WAY TO KILL HIM.

Comment

I consider a hard/time consuming fight something that lasts up to an hour, two tops. Anything beyond that is excessive.

"YAY! I wasted an entire day killing a virtual monster!"

Here's your medal, go you play with yourself. At least that's how I see it. (Note; this is a generalization, not an attack on anyone @.@ so dun jump on me mods)
              sigpic

Comment

Here's your medal, go you play with yourself.
                Do me a favor. Type /playtime.

Then say "YAY! I've wasted </playtime> playing a video game!". For that matter, look at how many video games you have on your shelf, and figure up how much they cost. Then say "YAY! I've wasted <amount of money>, not to mention a fuck of a lot of time, playing video games!".

You are not one to judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                  For that matter, look at how many video games you have on your shelf, and figure up how much they cost. Then say "YAY! I've wasted <amount of money>, not to mention a fuck of a lot of time, playing video games!".
                  This depressed me.....thanks Feba. I could have a brand new Harley....with accessories!
                  Originally posted by Feba
                  But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                  Originally posted by DakAttack
                  ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                    This depressed me.....thanks Feba
                    I play to my strengths.

Comment

I feel for the people who spent their money on shit like sports memorabilia or collector's items, etc. I'd say Harleys but I'm afraid of my non-video gaming grandmother. One who's been exposed to GTA cannot be worth crossing.

...anyway, looking at other people's lives I occasionally think "Wow. Look at all the time they're spending, getting involved in everything and never relaxing for a minute. Look at all the money they've spent on exercise equipment and lawn gnomes. Look at all those excessive matching coffee tables. Think of how many good video games they could be through."

/shrug

To each their own.
                      "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

There's a line between having fun with a hobby and simply wasting hours of your life to at a blatantly stupid/excessive goal. Comparing how much game time you have overall to say spending 10 hours fighting AV isn't the same thing at all;

One is a measurement of how much time you've invested into the game as a whole over a long period of time. The other is an arbitrary, sadistic event spewed forth from the Dev Team's bowels and in all seriousness a total f'ing waste of time (though this is subject to opinion, would you rather spend maybe 30-120 minutes having some fun and maybe accomplish a few small goals, or blow pretty well your entire day killing one "epic" monster. Hmm...)
                        sigpic

Comment

There's a line between having fun with a hobby and simply wasting hours of your life to at a blatantly stupid/excessive goal.
                          So spending months, if not years, of your life making a little computer person more powerful and getting shinies for it ISN'T stupid, but something that takes a FRACTION of that time is?

Three things Malacite:
                          1- No matter how you try to rationalize it, you have absolutely no room to judge.
                          2- Even if you had never played FFXI, you still would have no room.
                          3- Please let me know what drugs you're on. They seem fun.

Comment

I think that the point he is trying to make is that in the 18 hours he might be spending trying do down AV, he could have done so much more to his character. He's not trying to say that perhaps FFXI is the most productive use of time (because let's face it, it's not, but we all enjoy it), just that the thought that just doing one thing in this game, that may or may not drop the item he wants, that may or may not be his based on points anyway, is really such a waste. I don't want to spend 18 hours on one mob. I really don't.

And the ultimate irony in all this is that message that comes up before you hit Play. "Don't forget your family, your friends, your work, or your school." ORLY? Then why the hell do you want us to spend 18 hours on AV?
                            sigpic
                            ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                            ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                            ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                            ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                              I don't want to spend 18 hours on one mob. I really don't.
                              advice: DON'T.

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                              And the ultimate irony in all this is that message that comes up before you hit Play. "Don't forget your family, your friends, your work, or your school." ORLY? Then why the hell do you want us to spend 18 hours on AV?
                              Again, you're assuming it's a straight 18 hour fight and you cannot change groups; which clearly isn't the case. Even it it were, 18 hours is NOT really a large commitment. Waking up at 6AM and going to sleep after 12PM, on a weekend, is perfectly reasonable for most people. Not everyone is so swamped in their life that they can't put aside a day or two for themselves every now and then. Still, given that it's in an open place, it should be pretty clear that you can swap out members as needed.

This is like saying "ORLY? Then why do I have to wait around TWENTY FOUR HOURS A DAY for Charbydis to pop?". Simply, YOU DON'T. With a little bit of planning ahead, you can spend a MUCH shorter length of time on it.

Comment

One things for sure, I know when I heard about the 18-hour bit, I completely lost interest in Absolute Virtue. In one day fighting him, in theories concerning, even his drops are wholly unappealing anymore.

I mean, for an 18 hour fight and < 100% drop rate, I'd expect pretty much everything he offers to have some sort of +20(percentage or otherwise), attached to it. But it doesn't, so there's nothing even remotely worthwhile for the effort involved.

I wonder how many others had the change of heart I did when they heard about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X