Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fliegar
    replied
    Re: My PC is driving me batshit, need help!

In Alberta there are a pretty good amount of rigging jobs from what I've seen. The majority of new Highschool graduates that don't want to go to college get a job on the rigs.

Leave a comment:

• ItazuraNhomango
    replied

Can somebody remind him that there may be a lot of paying jobs in oil boom towns, with qualification as low as "warm body"?

Canada should still have some oil boom towns. (e.g. Canada's surprise light oil boom) Job = money to replace computer. (Though, I think he'll appreciate the increase in self-esteem more.)

Leave a comment:

• cidbahamut
    replied

You could replace it piecemeal. Start with the fan.

Leave a comment:

• Malacite
    replied

No it's hardware I know it is. Machine's been reformatted twice already and the problems persist, just takes a while before they start up again. IIRC the guy at Canada Computers told me last time that there was major damage to my harddrive from the virus they removed for me a couple years ago, that there was partial failure. It's probably just been getting progressively worse.

My rig is 7+ years old now anyway time to replace it, just wish I had the cash.

Leave a comment:

• Firewind
    replied

What Cid said. Reformatting fixes a lot of stuff and you don't need a disc for it. Basically just download the Windows whatever version you have ISO from the Microsoft website, and find out your CD key with something like Magic Jelly Bean.

Leave a comment:

• cidbahamut
    replied

Just back up your data and format. It'll be easier than dealing with whatever's wrong with your system unless it's a hardware issue, in which case formatting will let you confirm that it is a hardware issue.

Leave a comment:

• Firewind
    replied

A broken fan can lead to any one of the following:

1) Damaged CPU
    2) Damaged GPU
    3) Damaged Motherboard
    4) Damaged RAM
    5) All of the above

Leave a comment:

• Malacite
    replied

So yesterday my PC actually booted up fine with MBAM running! O.O

and today it's not working again. I don't even...

Leave a comment:

• DakAttack
    replied

Norton is terrible. It's routinely disabled by foreign programs. That's why I switched to McAfee.

Leave a comment:

• Malacite
    replied

yeah but I can't figure out why - I've cleaned the damn thing time and again and it still gives the error message.

Thing is I can hear it running though so wtf?

Leave a comment:

• Firewind
    replied

There's your problem.

Leave a comment:

• cidbahamut
    replied

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
    the system fan doesn't want to work, ever
    Click image for larger version

Name:	iuJhL7WKAxtLy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1476854

Leave a comment:

• Malacite
    replied

A friend of mine thinks my PC's on its last legs and I think he's right.

For one thing the system fan doesn't want to work, ever, no matter how much I clean the damn thing. At this point I'm just praying I don't get any nasty malware on here and that it holds together until I can afford a new one :/

Leave a comment:

• Icemage
    replied

Inconsistent performance could be a lot of things. Maybe a CPU that's got a fried circuit or two, maybe a memory stick that's going bad, maybe a hard drive with an IO interface that's dying. GPUs rarely cause system crashes when they start going bad - usually you'll see visual artifacting like lines or discoloration or snow or something under load as the GPU starts to break down.

No way to tell which it is unless you have other components to swap in and test.

Icemage

Leave a comment:

• cidbahamut
    replied

Can you get to your files to back stuff up? If so you really ought to just reformat. It'll be easier and faster than trying to troubleshoot whatever the fuck's going on with your machine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X