Noob SCH and the Dooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob SCH and the Dooms

Just a simple question...How the heck did you scholars make it through the dunes with your sanity? Currently I'm a level 15 scholar and more often than not I'm asked to main heal a party with only Cure (since we don't get Cure II until 17).

I keep telling party leaders that there is no way I can maintain the life of the party with only Cure and that they would be better off finding a dedicated healer and have me as a backup/nuker.

My last party had myself and several members of the party die twice because the leader refused to listen. He then finally got a RDM and he was unable to main heal either because he was only level 12 and didn't get Cure II until 14.

Please...any advice would be helpful.
    Last edited by Alekia; 04-20-2009, 09:16 AM.
    Name: Allekia
    Server: Shiva
    BST 99 | DNC 99 | WHM 82 | THF 78 | RDM 61 | SMN 50 | SAM 50 | BLM 50 | NIN 50 | SCH 37 | DRG 37
    AF: BST, WHM, THF, RDM, SAM, DNC
    Empyrean: BST, DNC +1
    Bastok: Rank 10 San D'Oria: Rank 10 Windurst: Rank 6
    CoP: 7-2 RoZ: 16 ToAU: 15 - Black Coffin WotG: In Progress
    ACP: In Progress MKE: Complete ASA: In Progress
    Abyssea Bosses: 7/9

Re: Noob SCH and the Dooms

Can't help you with your main healing problem.
    I had to go through that as summoner, which has less utilities at hand then scholar.
    But that's not the topic.

Tips to make dunes easier:

-Take 1 man less in your party.
    A while ago ago SE gave a signet exp bonus to parties with less then 6 members.

-Chain weaker mobs.
    Don't go after those IT+ gobbies,crabs and pugils for the 200+ exp per mob.
    In the time you kill those you will have killed 2 or 3 their Tough to very tough counterparts for 100~170 exp each + chain bonus.
    Side bonus is weaker mobs hit less hard, which in return makes playing healer a lot easier, your MP pool last longer and getting more exp over time in the long run.

-Solo.
    SE also beefed up the exp you gain from killing easy prey up to Decent challenge mobs making soloing a viable alternative.
    Quetzalcoatl Server | WHM 80 | SMN 76 | NIN 75

Comment

Honestly, its a lot better just to find someone to duo with than spend time in the dunes (or Qufim, for that matter) in a PT as a SCH. Once you have Cure II, things will get a little more bearable til you have Cure III at 30.

Right now, I'd advice going through Field Manuals at an earlier camp or look into duoing with someone out in Maze of Shakarami on worms or even in the early parts of Koraokkola Tunnel. Perferably someone that's a DNC or /DNC so things stay low maitenence on healing.

I didn't party in the dunes or Qufim on SCH at all. If you still choose to do so, insist on playing it BLM style. People in this game sometimes don't care to learn how other jobs work and assume that if you're a mage, you can simply cure them, best way to avoid those people is to just not deal with them at all.

Comment

You don't need to go to the dunes... Nuke worms in North Gustaberg [S]. Tunnel Worms, then Stone Eaters at the outpost when able.

It's boring but much less frustrating.

Comment

Requesting title change? >.> I thought this was going to be about Cursna (Dooms) but it's about Valkurm.
          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Dooms

Doons

Dunes?

Comment

Re: Noob SCH and Valkurm

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
              Requesting title change? >.> I thought this was going to be about Cursna (Dooms) but it's about Valkurm.
              My bad...I was just trying to be funny/sarcastic with the title in that Valkurm us pure hell.

Anyway...I appreciate the advice given, even if its stuff I already knew. I was just wondering what you guys did in the same situation.
              Name: Allekia
              Server: Shiva
              BST 99 | DNC 99 | WHM 82 | THF 78 | RDM 61 | SMN 50 | SAM 50 | BLM 50 | NIN 50 | SCH 37 | DRG 37
              AF: BST, WHM, THF, RDM, SAM, DNC
              Empyrean: BST, DNC +1
              Bastok: Rank 10 San D'Oria: Rank 10 Windurst: Rank 6
              CoP: 7-2 RoZ: 16 ToAU: 15 - Black Coffin WotG: In Progress
              ACP: In Progress MKE: Complete ASA: In Progress
              Abyssea Bosses: 7/9

Comment

I stumbled my way through a handful of frustrating parties where I could never settle into any kind of defined role and ended up just casting whatever the hell random spells seemed like a good idea at the time. \m/
                Ellipses on Fenrir
                There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                . . .

Comment

I waited until I was level 17 and had Cure II before venturing out there. Before that I solo'd, which was painful, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't as bad as trying to keep a whole party alive with Cure. I also felt the hurt in the late 20's when I didn't have access to Cure III. Luckily I got a few parties where I was backup cure, and could use elemental/enfeeble spells most of the time instead.
                  "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

I was never asked to main heal on SCH at the Dunes levels. I think that's because we had a PL for everything. Just when you get invited to a party, ask them, "Am I main healing?" If they say yes, turn them down. Put it in your search comment, too (not that people read them, but you'll at least have that to fall back on when they get mad for saying no. "Well, I had it in my search comment, you shouldn't have even asked me in the first place.")
                    sigpic
                    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

I wish I could help, but having had taken whm, rdm and smn through the Dunes and knowing how much fun it was to not have Cure II? I found me a progression of worms (Konstadt > Sandy [S] > Gustaberg [S]) and gave the whole party thing up as a bad habit until the 20s.
                      WHM75-SCH75-DNC75-THF75
                      To do: Sandy 7-1, ToAU 42, WoG15

Comment

I had the same issue and ended up soloing most of the time until 17 and even then with Level Sync I had to watch party mems get massacred.

Comment

I got lucky at the dunes lmao. I lvled sch the day it came out and made it to like lvl 30+ in one day lmao!

Comment

Sorry to Necro, IT's been ages since I've been guilty of it.
                            Currently I've been in the dunes as a Scholar. I'd had already had a browse of the topics and expected to be wanting to pull my hair out. Currently I'm at 19 and at the oasis killing crabs with my npc between parties and I'm getting exp just over 100 not the best but it's more productive than sitting at the outpost with my flag up.
                            The best party I'd had during this experience took me from 14-19 we had a person that tanked decently a dancer a crazy blm that kept going frontline. Curing with Cure I was a bit of a stretch and thats putting it lightly, The arrival of cure II and regen was gladly welcomed. I only managed to nuke a few times when somehow a damselfly became aggressive allthough I didn't see what/who caused it.
                            But all in all, This run through the dunes hasnt been as bad as it usually is.

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

i would leave the pary lol... when i play SCH it is to boost my BLM ... i will be BLM/SCH
                              i play the way i want... it dose help that 90% of the time i have a static party of real friends
                              what server are you on, ill help you out my SCH is only 17 or18 i think but i have friends that will help powerlevel or just set up a party that will help you and you can play anyway you want with us... just dont over nuke or you might die lol lol (unless we have the powerleveler) happy hunting
                              BLM50/WHM25
                              San D'oria Rank 4
                              Alexander

Comment

Working...
                              X