Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: /RDM needed?

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
    ...I've heard that the Enspell accuracy would be based on the target's Enhancing Magic skill though, so melees would still see many resists. Haven't seen it done yet, and I don't have enough inventory space to unlock SCH atm.
    It would be silly to base my buff's effectiveness on it's target's skill. For instance, any time I cast Stoneskinga, the amount blocked is based on my targets' Enhancing magic rather than mine, which is clearly untrue. The spells "power" is set when it is cast and attaches to the target with my power fixed upon it. If what you're saying was the case, if I unequipped my Enhancing boost items, my damage would drop immediately, but it does not. The spell is "frozen in time" when cast and the "effect" attaches to the target. Once it is cast, it does not differ from it's original effect parameters.

This is theory of course, but I believe it's solid.

Comment

That's what I was hoping, but what I stated was what I had been told by someone leveling SCH. They may very well just be a dingbat though, I was going to test it w/ some friends once one of them hits 40, it should be super easy to do using the AoE JA and RDM's self-cast barspells.
      Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Originally posted by Sabaron View Post
        It would be silly to base my buff's effectiveness on it's target's skill.
        Basing effectiveness at least partially on the target's stats instead of the caster/user's alone may or may not be silly, but wouldn't be unprecedented. Cover's duration is influenced by PLD's MND vs. target's VIT, according to this. (If I'm reading it correctly.) Curing Waltz's potency is apparently determined by the DNC's CHR and the target's VIT, as another example.

Wouldn't surprise me if Accession + en-spell actually uses caster's Enhancing Magic skill and targets' INTs both, or even if it uses caster's INT and targets' Enhancing Magic skill.

However it calculates the damage/accuracy, should this method suck, it certainly wouldn't be the first time S-E gave us a laughable additional damage effect. Not that I'd be terribly concerned about that; it's already cool and powerful enough to have an Erasega or whichever -na needed every four minutes instead of Divine Veil via Divine Seal every 10 minutes (or 8 minute 20 seconds, if fully merited).

Dispel-ga which stripes every blink/copy image, and everything dispel-able. On every critter in range.

*drools*

Dispel is 320 CE and 320 VE. Would Dispel-ga gain enmity based on number of effects erased per monster? Umm... Say, puller brings a WHM type with a THF link with 4 buffs each... That would be 1280 CE + 1280 VE... That's almost like using Provke x 2.8 at the start of the fight. With each monster. Except, half of the enmity won't fade unless the critters wacks the Scholar (quite) a few times.

Itazura the overly zealous SCH/RDM is defeated by the mad Goblin White Mage and his friend, the even madder Goblin Thief.

*dies*
        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
          Wouldn't surprise me if Accession + en-spell actually uses caster's Enhancing Magic skill and targets' INTs both, or even if it uses caster's INT and targets' Enhancing Magic skill.
          We can actually test this on RDM. If I can finagle an Enhancing Torque I'll let you know what I find out.
          There will be cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Patchinko View Post
            We can actually test this on RDM. If I can finagle an Enhancing Torque I'll let you know what I find out.
            You can? But, Accession is SCH40...
            Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
            yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
            Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
            leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Enspells can't be in a category of their own, and should behave like any other enhancing magic... they could test Phalnx II, Protects, Shells... Or even better, Barspellna, gies a definate number on youre status screen.
              Originally posted by Ellipses
              Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
              Originally posted by MCLV
              A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
              More Sig:

Comment

...Wouldn't surprise me if Accession + en-spell actually uses caster's Enhancing Magic skill and targets' INTs both, or even if it uses caster's INT and targets' Enhancing Magic skill....
                I can see the Target <> Mob INT differential as a possibility (similar to Charged Enspell weapons), I cannot really fathom the logic behind using the target's Enhancing Magic--that would make me so very, very angry. No other AoE spell buff in the game works that way. Yes, you assert that Cover may use some unusual formulae, and testing may indicate that a target's VIT affects a dance--we still don't have any precedent for a buff being affected by a target's skill. If we look at Phalanx for instance, say that I cast it fully decked out and get 25 damage reduction. Now, I take off all my +Enhancing and my damage reduction goes down to 23 which makes it pointless for me to even have the +Skill equipment.

Dispel-ga which stripes every blink/copy image, and everything dispel-able. On every critter in range.

*drools*

Dispel is 320 CE and 320 VE. Would Dispel-ga gain enmity based on number of effects erased per monster? Umm... Say, puller brings a WHM type with a THF link with 4 buffs each... That would be 1280 CE + 1280 VE... That's almost like using Provke x 2.8 at the start of the fight. With each monster. Except, half of the enmity won't fade unless the critters wacks the Scholar (quite) a few times...
                Are you sure Accession + Dispel functions like that? Are you sure it doesn't just apply a normal one-spell Dispel to the targets?

Comment

Originally posted by Sabaron View Post
                  Are you sure Accession + Dispel functions like that? Are you sure it doesn't just apply a normal one-spell Dispel to the targets?
                  Nitpick ahead. Proceed with caution.

Accession + Dispel certainly wouldn't, but Manifestation + Dispel might.
                  Originally posted by Armando
                  No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                  Originally posted by Armando
                  Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                  Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                    Nitpick ahead. Proceed with caution.

Accession + Dispel certainly wouldn't, but Manifestation + Dispel might.
                    I'll have to renitpick you because II didn't reference Manifestation. She just said "Dispelga" in reference to SCH which implies Accession.

Yes, yes... quite true. Wiki does say that Manifestation works with Dispel, but wiki doesn't say how... I don't think wiki knows yet. Of course in order to get Super Dispelga like that you need to wait 8 minutes to get two Stratagems--which is certainly not bad considering that it takes 10 to get a seal. Of course, of all the things I can think of being highly situational... I would say this is near the top of the list. An 8-minute wait on Super Dispelga using two of my precious Stratagems...and I can't at this moment think of an instance where I'm up against multiple well-buffed enemies that would warrant such an expenditure.
                    Last edited by Sabaron; 12-07-2007, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Just to end the debate on using Accession:

SCH casting Stoneskin with Accession on the party is Based off of the SCH's Enhancing/MND, not the targets.

Kohanacat's post, middle of the page for source. (Has Phalanx testing too)

Keep reading through the tread for more on Enspells, since its a bit more detailed on how it works. To really boil it down, the Enspells that are used with Accession need to be the target mobs elemental weakness or the party members will only hit for 1.

http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/vie...sd=a&start=510
                      sigpic
                      Y'okay!

PSN: goboaj (be my friend damnit)

Comment

I would say this is near the top of the list. An 8-minute wait on Super Dispelga using two of my precious Stratagems...and I can't at this moment think of an instance where I'm up against multiple well-buffed enemies that would warrant such an expenditure.
                        Any of the BCNM60s with beastmen that come pre-buffed would be one case I could think of.

Comment

Originally posted by Gobo View Post
                          Just to end the debate on using Accession:
                          Keep reading through the tread for more on Enspells, since its a bit more detailed on how it works. To really boil it down, the Enspells that are used with Accession need to be the target mobs elemental weakness or the party members will only hit for 1.
                          That's not quite what it says...
                          Enspells
                          This seems to be based of the recipient's stats, but our testing wasn't very .... scientific? On the spiders in the desert I was hitting consistantly for 17 extra damage with enblizzard. Vylia was hitting for mostly 8's but did occasionally (rarely) get a 15. I think the formula was too complicated for us so we didn't really do much with this. Sorry. D:.
                          It basically says, that they couldn't figure it out from the data. Basically, what is happening is that the target is getting 50% resists. If she was getting all 1's that would basically mean that it's based on the target's skill. It is clearly not as the maximum damage with 0 skill is 1 damage. Therefore, what is happening is that her associate has low INT or MND (whichever is used) and the spell is using the differential between her and the mob to calculate the spell resistance which makes sense. This evidence rules out power based on target skill, but strongly suggests attribute-differential resistance based on the wielder.

Occasional hits for 15 are 90% resists: 17 * 0.9 = 15.3 (or 15)
                          50% Resist: 17 * 0.5 = 8.5 (or 8)

The numbers hold up quite well.

I think a good test for the next run would be to use it on a Summoner subbing something without Enhancing magic skill. If it is based purely on stats, then the Summoner should have a damage output comparable to the Scholar. This might result into some interesting insight on how statistics play with Enspells in general.
                          Last edited by Sabaron; 12-07-2007, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Was just giving the basic idea. Using just any enspell with Accession would only result in 1 damage Enspell for the part members. Using the Mobs elemental weakness will result in the 1/2 resists/partial resist damage.

I can tell you now, Rolling Thunder does jack crap, usually hitting for 1 unless the target has enhancing skill. However it doesn't disprove it isn't based off the SMNs Enhancing (or Ramuh's?) since it is from the subjob.

Thats the Enspell damage formula. I guess stats play a role in resists.

En-spell: Enhancing < 150: (SQRT(Enhancing) - 1) * (1 + day bonus + weather bonus)
                            Enhancing >= 150: (Enhancing/20 + 5) * (1 + day bonus + weather bonus)
                            Correct day = +0.1, Weather = +0.1 for each "dot"
                            Opposite day = -0.1, Weather = -0.1 for each "dot"
                            sigpic
                            Y'okay!

PSN: goboaj (be my friend damnit)

Comment

Therefore, what is happening is that her associate has low INT or MND (whichever is used) and the spell is using the differential between her and the mob to calculate the spell resistance which makes sense.
                              Nope. INT and MND have never made a drastic difference in resist rates. Moreover, they were beating on Lv.40 spiders and Vylia, the BST, had a Tulwar Scorpion for a pet when they tested Stoneskin. Tulwar Scorpions are Lv.53-56.

Enspell resist rates are supposed to be based on the caster's Enhancing Magic Skill. Vylia doesn't have any. That's the most likely reason. While this would strike you as odd, you do have to consider that some aspects of Enspell ARE calculated on-strike (for example, its base potency is determined at casting time but +Enspell Damage items are checked for on each strike.) Because some things aren't set in stone based on the stats at the time of casting, it's very much possible that Vylia's non-existant Enhancing Magic Skill is being checked for Enspell accuracy when she hits.

Comment

I just attempted to do calculations based on recipient's Magic Accuracy, but I cannot find a site that relates MAcc to the resistance grades. I know that I have seen a correlation but I cannot remember where. Does anyone know where I can find an article containing an experiment wherein the tester correlates resistances with skill or MAcc?

I might be hallucinating, but I'm sure I remember seeing something like this.

If MAcc plays a role, then what is needed to push the damage up is a Threnody, Ninja Wheel, or Ancient Magic attack. A combination of two of those would be quite useful. This is compounded by the notion that the mob could also be weak to your element. For instance, while fighting Ice-vulnerable Spider, a NIN BRD SCH center could use this combination:

SCH: Enblizzaga
                                NIN: Huton: Ni
                                BRD: Ice Threnody

to minimize resistance to the attack.

I'll see if I can get a group to go and test this on an Attercop or something when I XP next. Provided we end up with a SCH healer. SCH is unpopular as a healer because they lack Haste and Refresh, but we'll see if I get one in my next XP pt. I'm currently in Puk land which is a bit bad because Puks absorb wind magic (e.g. Huton), but at least I can stick the Threnody and we can probably pull an Attercop (right before we take a {Short Time} {Break} so the Slowga can wear off...
                                Last edited by Sabaron; 12-08-2007, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X