This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 spellcasters + Main Heal = NO :P

I made the mistake of forming a party last night (yes, my own fault, chalk it up to temporary insanity) where I ended up as main healer with 4 spellcasters:

PLD SAM RNG BLM BLM RDM

My preference would have been to sub Bard, but couldn't since we were fighting Anticans in Quicksands (Silena).

All I can say is, at level 51, even as a tarutaru with really, really good gear, I couldn't keep up with the MP demands of 4x Refresh while main healing on a PLD while trying to cast Paralyze, Slow, and Silence and tossing Dispels.

Hardly any time to /heal between fights meant I was bleeding MP like crazy even when I wasn't chaincasting Dispel, and I wasn't getting much help from the BLMs either.

Just shoot me if I ever try anything like that again.

Icemage

Re: 4 spellcasters + Main Heal = NO

omg, you're crazy...
    although, you should've chewed out those BLMs for not helping out (at least have them cast silena).

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Originally posted by neighbortaru
      omg, you're crazy...
      although, you should've chewed out those BLMs for not helping out (at least have them cast silena).
      One of the BLMs was /WHM, but was in Jamming Wave range every time in 2.5 hours of XPing so I always had to Silena her. :/

The other BLMs was /RDM, and didn't even have /WHM levelled... orz. At least he was sensible enough to stay out of AoE range.

And of course, I had to Silena the PLD first... *bangs head on wall until it stops hurting*.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by neighbortaru
        omg, you're crazy...
        i would have stopped refreshing both blms till they started helping out in the healing ^_~
        Last edited by TBoTB; 07-14-2005, 12:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Just got done with a WHM-RDM-RNG (x2)-PLD-WAR Party in Boyahda Tree. Not much refreshing duties, but when the PLD doesnt eat food (even admitted, hey I don't have food) and the WHM is AFK for 3 straight battles due to a crying baby and the RNG puller insists on speed pulling after only Chain #1... /sigh.

Windurst Rank 10. ZM14. CoP M5-2.
          RDM->62 (AF Completed), MNK->62 (AF Completed).

Comment

Once in a while we'll have to do it altho me too expect some help from the Blm.

Blm that doesn't /whm when fighting anticans are just selfish.
            There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
            but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
            transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage
              PLD SAM RNG BLM BLM RDM

Icemage
              Lol.. thought you were talking about my PT last night

we had asetup similar to that at first. then the SMN had to leave .. towards the end we ended up with
              RDM BLM BLM BLM NIN RNG
              fighting robber crabs.. Triple Freeze burst... quick xp

but of course.. our BLMs were helping out so i know it wasn't my PT.
              Of course gil sellers kept training crabs to zone, then this ignorant PT came right in the middle of us and started fighting...
              (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ====【†】 BIBLE FIGHT !
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage
                PLD SAM RNG BLM BLM RDM

My preference would have been to sub Bard, but couldn't since we were fighting Anticans in Quicksands (Silena).

All I can say is, at level 51, even as a tarutaru with really, really good gear, I couldn't keep up with the MP demands of 4x Refresh while main healing on a PLD while trying to cast Paralyze, Slow, and Silence and tossing Dispels.
                With that party setup, I probably wouldn't have bothered too much with Dispel and Slow to be honest. Did you try sticking the BLMs and RNGs on opposite sides and bouncing the mob around with hate? That would have been pretty fun to see.
                RDM70 | BLM37 | WHM18 | BST12

Comment

You HAVE to dispel Antica in Quicksand Caves. The PLD-type Princeps like casting Protect III and Shell III on themselves and any other Antica they see, and Antica also have Evasion Up and Defense Up WS boosters. If you don't dispel them, the chain dies because your party damage drops to zero.

Slow was an occasional casualty, but without it (remember, I was main healing too), the PLD ended up taking too much damage, which ended up draining more MP than Slow would. Catch-22.

Icemage

Comment

Sorry to hear about your rough party. I'll remember this as I'm taking RDM as my next job to 75.
                    75 White Mage
                    75 Ninja

Comment

Occtionlly...well thats probaly a undrstatement...about half the time now I end up as the main healer (50 RDM/BLM) and I havent had trouble most of the time. I do find it very troubling when there are multiple spellcasters in the pt though. Such as PLD, BLM, BLM, RDM, DRK, RNG. I ay this because of course I have to refresh the BLM and PLD and then the DRK had to go use too much MP so refresh on them too...and of course myself...all in all thats a big chunk of MP each fight and then to top that off debuffing and buffing and main healing with only alittle help from the BLMs because they are too stupid too see every fight I have no MP and that I am converting after every fight I can...you get the picture...,age heavy partys+main heal=bad.

But for parties that consist of PLD, BLM, RDM, BRD, SAM, RNG I heal extreamly well. Especialy when the BLM and BRD throw in a cure when the PLD hits in the low yellow or red HP(and BRDs seem to almost never need refresh to add the usfulness of them).

Comment

Things have gotten somewhat better. I just hit level 53, and have been using RDM/BRD lately. Much improvement, the extra MP from Ballad helps out a lot, though it's still way easier if there's a dedicated WHM or SMN around to handle the main healing. Not that I mind main healing, but I can't do it and handle the other parts of the RDM job adequately at the same time.

Icemage

Comment

RDM/BRD is an amazing combo- but I'll warn the lazy players not to try it =p I'm looking forward to hitting 50 and giving that a whirl myself.
                          75 White Mage
                          75 Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Tifa
                            RDM/BRD is an amazing combo- but I'll warn the lazy players not to try it =p
                            This bears repeating, lol! Many RDMs seem to have trouble handling the basic refresh cycle + enfeebling routine without throwing in 1-2 8 second songs into the mix (slightly less for RDMs due to Fast Cast but still hefty time crunch).

Still, I really enjoy the RDM/BRD combination. It's VERY powerful when used correctly, despite the huge organizational nightmare it can become if you aren't good about managing your time.

Icemage

Comment

You were insane to try that without a bard or least sub bard/black mage. :p

Comment

Working...
                              X