X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taru DRK hate?

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/dosw...darkknight.txt

What is the best race for DRK?
    - the guide says to pick mithra, I asked my linkshell and they said no way.
    Pick Elvann or Galka for most damage and health, pick hume and mithra for ok
    damage and decent black magic, and tarus for Great black magic, accuracy and
    pure shock factor.I am personally a hume because it is more accurate than
    Elvann and Galka. I really suggest you don't pick Taru LOL

^ I thought taru DRK's could be really skilled at dark knight? Just an ignorant person?

And btw, im a new dark night ^^ hurray!

I dont watch anime. Sorry.
    Check out my webpage and forums at www.freewebs.com/concordtraceurs
    Parkour-Freerun.
    *~^~*Bard for life*~^~*

Re: Taru DRK hate?

Any race can be any job. Race stat differences may affect some gear choices you make and your play style but they do not make some jobs impossible to play.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Plus is shock factor exactly a bad thing?
      As a tarutaru just take the time to learn the more technical side of playing dark knight and you will be fine. Proper use of absorb spells and a little equipment swapping and you will be a great Dark Knight.

Comment

If Humes have any more dex than Galka, its about +3 more and thats only after like level 60.

Comment

There's no way to stress that any race can do any job, and that skill and gear greatly level the playing field. Either way we still see a lot of posts of "what's the best race for <job>?" I think a number of us would like to get our hands around the neck of the person that wrote those guides saying which race made the best <job>.

There are a few Taru DRKs I've partied with on my server who have seriously impressed me. I've seen some Taru WARs make Elvaan WARs look silly, I've seen Taru DRK with so much Acc and Atk that a PLD working with a THF couldn't keep hate off the little guy.

Pick the race you like. Whether it's astetics, or MP, or HP, or STR, and then play the job that delivers the most fun.
          Odude
          PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
          RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
          SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

Burn that brady guide you have in your hands. It does nothing but spew crap.

Other than listing spell levels/abilties and monster weaknesses, all the commentary in that guide is crap.
            Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
            ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

/shrug
              it's saying Taru drk is like circus. you jump around trying to entertain the mob.
              game faqs is a good place for resource. but not good for ff11 obviously.
              There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
              but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
              transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Well statistaclly speaking Elvaan and Galka are the 'best' jobs for Drk with their High HP and Str. As much as people try to deny it, certain jobs are 'best' performed by certain races. Now as for how large a margin they are the 'best' however is still something that's highly up for debate.

On that note, a Taru can be a great Drk. Just make sure you have all your gear, spells, food and such all up to date and lvl. Know what you should be focusing stat wise for every action you take and do not fear gear swaps. You can *easily* outpeform most other Drks you meet as long as you know what you're doing.
                "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
                  Burn that brady guide you have in your hands. It does nothing but spew crap.
                  I think that link is Gamefaq, which is even worse. Those guys there troll so much crap, makes the whole human race seem clean in comparison.

Tarutaru make good DRKs. They, however, need to compensate their physical damage with some spell casting. They are the race with a lot of mana to burn, however, so this shouldn't be an issue.

With that said, let me tell you, a Taru DRK can tank as well as any other race when a situation is called for. For example, if in a party, the tank loses hate and the monster starts wailing on your healer like no tomorrow, a Taru DRK will NOT get one-shot with a normal hit or even a normal critical, like so many players will tell you or make jokes about. I've partied with Taru DRKs before and believe me, they can more than hold their own if they have to.

In the end, with Humes, it's all about versatility. Because they're so well balanced, they can do many things. However, they don't excel in any one area or job class. Humes are great for playing all the jobs and is recommended for that reason (Other than that's what majoirty of players roll when they first fire up FFXI) I'd say, if there were any race differences, it would lead to only a difference in the style of play, but the difference is not that great (Unless we're talking specific instances, for example, a Galka and Absorb spells and a Taru and Souleater)

Comment

At end-game Galka DRK outperforms everyone when you're looking at high burst damage.

Galka DRK75 using Kraken Club + Souleater + Blood Weapon will do way more damage than a Tarutaru DRK with similar gear and setup, since Souleater's bonus damage is linked directly to current HP (which stays full due to Blood Weapon).

Aside from this single aspect, there's very little difference between the various races for most melee jobs, DRK included. A few points of damage isn't going to make or break you.

For the majority of the XP from 1-75, there's effectively zero difference between different races of DRK, and it's also negligible difference in most other conditions too (and the difference above only matters in a fistful of fights, such as Dynamis Lord, where you need something dead in a hurry and have a Paladin around to Invincible and keep you from getting swatted like a mosquito after using Souleater).

Icemage

Comment

I do agree with Icemage with regards to Galka and burst damage (Although I've outparsed Galka DRKs 3 levels higher before - which goes to show it's not who you are, but how you play) but I disagree that there's zero difference between races. An extreme example I can give is one when I was on Middie a longtime ago and a Galkan DRK named Strength was trying to rescue a few members of PhoenixDown in Davoi when some RNG asshat trained/MPK on them with nearly 20 high level orcs in the central areas + a super gigantic ass load of train of everything else (Those that can still con T or so to my 72 DRK)

His lack of MP didn't allow him to whore stun + drain as I would've in that situation, since one good stun negates as much as 500+ dmg from TP moves (Like one the stupid dragoon has) Sure, he had ass loads of HP, but blowing it with souleater isn't necessarily any better

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
                        I think that link is Gamefaq, which is even worse. Those guys there troll so much crap, makes the whole human race seem clean in comparison.
                        Tarutaru make good DRKs. They, however, need to compensate their physical damage with some spell casting. They are the race with a lot of mana to burn, however, so this shouldn't be an issue.
                        With that said, let me tell you, a Taru DRK can tank as well as any other race when a situation is called for. For example, if in a party, the tank loses hate and the monster starts wailing on your healer like no tomorrow, a Taru DRK will NOT get one-shot with a normal hit or even a normal critical, like so many players will tell you or make jokes about. I've partied with Taru DRKs before and believe me, they can more than hold their own if they have to.
                        In the end, with Humes, it's all about versatility. Because they're so well balanced, they can do many things. However, they don't excel in any one area or job class. Humes are great for playing all the jobs and is recommended for that reason (Other than that's what majoirty of players roll when they first fire up FFXI) I'd say, if there were any race differences, it would lead to only a difference in the style of play, but the difference is not that great (Unless we're talking specific instances, for example, a Galka and Absorb spells and a Taru and Souleater)

Ya it was gamefaq. guess i wont look there anymore O_O. Ya i see all the remarks about galkas and a new friend of mine (taru drk 75!) said he can match dmg on galka with mp rather than attack if not exceed it. Im lvl 5 and freakin loving it so far. First job i can solo {Tough.} in west ronafaure (sp?). 100 tp + slice + 2 stones + a crit...thats just pure fun.

I dont watch anime. Sorry.
                        Check out my webpage and forums at www.freewebs.com/concordtraceurs
                        Parkour-Freerun.
                        *~^~*Bard for life*~^~*

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
                          ... I disagree that there's zero difference between races. An extreme example I can give is one when I was on Middie a longtime ago and a Galkan DRK named Strength was trying to rescue a few members of PhoenixDown in Davoi when some RNG asshat trained/MPK on them with nearly 20 high level orcs in the central areas + a super gigantic ass load of train of everything else (Those that can still con T or so to my 72 DRK)
                          His lack of MP didn't allow him to whore stun + drain as I would've in that situation, since one good stun negates as much as 500+ dmg from TP moves (Like one the stupid dragoon has) Sure, he had ass loads of HP, but blowing it with souleater isn't necessarily any better
                          I remember Strength well; he was a very cool guy.

With that many Orcs, though, the "effectively zero" clause I was talking about definitely applies. If you try to take that many on as DRK/anythingexceptBLM expect to die a messy death.

---

For all intents and purposes, a Dark Knight is a Dark Knight regardless of race. Damage is roughly on par regardless of race (there's some differences in accuracy and damage, but not that much on regular hits, and only somewhat noticeable on WS), and when you look at it from a group perspective you're not going to see that your group suddenly sucks because you have a Tarutaru DRK instead of a Galka DRK or whatever.

It's not that there aren't differences - it's just that you can function perfectly well despite the minor differences (except for the single case I mentioned above).

Icemage

Comment

Icemage, does that apply to most other melee classes or just dark knight in particular?

Comment

Originally posted by Nataka View Post
                              Icemage, does that apply to most other melee classes or just dark knight in particular?
                              When you boil it down to group effectiveness, all races can play most other melee jobs at about the same level of effectiveness (Samurai, Thief, Warrior, Beastmaster, Ranger).

Dark Knight is a standout exception because it has a job ability that triggers specifically off of a stat that varies greatly between races (Souleater triggers using 10% of your current HP).

Dragoon is notable for races when you're using a mage subjob also, since Healing Breath also triggers on current HP%, and higher HP races like Galka therefore can operate much more safely when playing DRG/mage. When not subbing a mage job, Dragoon fits the melee mold pretty much exactly - race doesn't matter.

Monk deserves a special mention here because hand-to-hand damage is linked much more closely to Strength than other attack types, so high-STR races like Elvaan enjoy a measurable advantage in physical attack power when used as monks (though other races can make up some of the shortfall with gear, etc.)

Otherwise the difference isn't really anything to write home about. A fistful of stat points in STR and DEX is really all that separates melees otherwise, and those stat points don't really determine your overall effectiveness. Survivability is a minor difference - good melees generally ride the hate line and take minimal damage anyway.

EDIT: Again, I'll stress that I'm not saying there aren't differences even in melee jobs that don't stress specific stats. A well-equipped Elvaan melee will generally hit harder than an identically equipped Tarutaru melee. But differences in non-HP/MP stats don't make a huge impact on your effectiveness.

Icemage
                              Last edited by Icemage; 10-03-2006, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X