/MNK.... Um, what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: /MNK.... Um, what?

/MNK does not raise your skill cap at all (and saying that it does is the same as saying it adds to your H2H accuracy in any case.) The +Acc on your knuckles doesn't cover the skill difference, and even with Jack-o-Lanterns, your accuracy over daggers wouldn't be so big as to be noticeable through just observation. We're talking about 2-4% difference here.

EDIT: Also, Brass Knuckles +1 doesn't have less Delay than a knife unless you're a very high level MNK with high levels of Martial Arts.

Comment

Less delay than Brass knuckles NQ, I can how you misread the meaning of that, re reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarre View Post
        Ifrit, it depends on the mobs (blunt damage etc.)
        Damage type only changes the amount of damage (if the monster has modifier for them), not the accuracy.

Don't forget I am at lvl 14
        I already listed the skill gap between Dagger and Hand-to-Hand for Dancer at Lv.10; Your accuracy+3 weapon won't cover the difference at Lv.10, and so won't bridge the difference at Lv.14 either.

but with the mobs I was fighting when doing the tests (bats, worms, lizzards and sapplings) that is how it happened with my Galka.
        Being Galka has nothing to do with the accuracy between different weapon types. Your targets also has nothing to do with accuracy between different weapon types.

The only thing with anything to do what you reporting seeing is wishful thinking; you wanted H2H to work better so badly, you changed your perception to match the imagined reality you prefer.*

Unless, of course, you parsed your battles over a large number of monsters (of same type/level range for both weapons, same food/gears otherwise). No parse, no way to proving better accuracy--and no way to believe you given what we know about the game mechanism.

* Maybe H2H does work better for damage, but claiming it has better accuracy than Dagger with merely an accuracy+3 difference contradicts the accepted understanding that each skill in weapon equals 1 in accuracy at lower levels. If you want to challenge that notion, parse. (Get a friend to parse for you if you can't use a parser.) Armando can help you set up a real experiment. Otherwise, I'm calling your "result" of better accuracy B.S.
        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Then explain to me why my knife missed more than my H2H when H2H is capped at (at 98) and Dagger (at 80) (highest skill i have in hese 2 weapons, obviously at 14 the skill is lower but the point is both are skilled past the current lvl cap of my 14 dancer)

H2H weapon = Brass knuckles +1
          Knife = Apsir knife (lvl12)

Comment

Then explain to me why my knife missed more than my H2H when H2H is capped at (at 98) and Dagger (at 80) (highest skill i have in hese 2 weapons, obviously at 14 the skill is lower but the point is both are skilled past the current lvl cap of my 14 dancer)
            Did you miss more times, or a higher percentage of the time? Five misses out of 50 is worse than 10 misses out of 120.

And depending on the length of your tests, there's always blind, random luck. The difference at that level (taking the +Acc of the knuckles into account) is small enough that it's completely feasible you'd have a really good H2H run, or a really bad dagger run, that goes against the law of averages.
            Ellipses on Fenrir
            There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
            . . .

Comment

I missed more in percentage terms with knife than H2H. It was very rare that both knuckles missed using H2H.

Comment

Lantern's aren't that bad for DNC, especially since I believe @15 they get Evasion Bonus I. With the right gear and a Jack you can get around +37~40 evasion.

Or you can take the fun way and use Juicy Muttons like I do :3 +27% attack for 4 hours! ^^b

Gotta love having lv 95 cooking
                sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Did you parse this? If not, the explanation is very simple: "Wishful thinking".

I was fighting Imps two nights ago on my RDM with sword using Squid Sushi+1 and all the accuracy gear I owned (was goofing around while duo'ing with my sister). After a few, I thought to myself "Hey, my accuracy seems pretty good!"

Then I checked the parser; my accuracy was something like 64%. Half of the melees in merit parties hit the accuracy cap on Imps (~95%). My accuracy sucked. BADLY. I fooled myself into thinking I had good accuracy because I was expecting better than normal accuracy due to the Squid Sushi. That expectation completely distorted my perception, even though I didn't want it to.

Eyeballing does NOT tell you your accuracy. Parser, or else.

- Mugaku

Comment

Nad how do i use a parser or is this a third party software to use with illegal windower?

Comment

I run FFXI in windowed mode, no Windower is involved. Forgot where I got my parser, but plenty of others should be able to help. Parser does not in any way change your in-game play experience (it'd be a poor tool if it does), except maybe to cause some minor lag... Shouldn't be against the the spirit of ToS, though technically it is deciphering game data--just doesn't modify the game at all.

Remember you'll need a large number of monsters (at least 25 or 30 per weapon type) before you can determine the true accuracy. Keep as many factored controlled as possible (food, gear, target type/level, your own level, etc.).

Small differences in parse results over a moderate sample size doesn't mean one is slightly better than another--it means the difference between two (whatever these "two" are) are not truly distinguishable given the testing parameters. i.e. You can't use data like that to claim one is better than another--you can only claim "I can't tell without more testing."

- Mugaku

Comment

I'm sorry, but I find it VERY hard to believe your H2H is capped at 98 and your Dagger is capped @ 80. For one thing that goes way off from DNC's B skill in Dagger and D in H2H. For another, it goes way off from my 32 DNC/NIN that has 100 Dagger(I have 8/8 Dagger merits so I guess subtract 6 from that for 94 Dagger) and 87 H2H. Even if you had merits, at lvl 15 that's only about 2 extra skill on both weapon types. That's not going to give you those numbers.

Prove of my skill cap (hm....might need to squint to see lol. I suck at posting these types of SS):

Comment

Originally posted by Zempten View Post
                          I suck at posting these types of SS
                          Are those ToDs in your LS message?
                          Ellipses on Fenrir
                          There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                          . . .

Comment

I think he meant that both skills would be capped on his Lv.14 DNC, not that his DNC14 has 80 or 98 skill in anything.

- Mugaku

Comment

Correct

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
                                Are those ToDs in your LS message?
                                Im sure anyone who HNMs knows them already.
                                75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
                                Woodworking 91.9+2
                                ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

Working...
                                X