Blue magic learning guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blue magic learning guide (1-30)

I've been leveling for hours and I still can't even get new armor! This whole game has sucked from the beginning!
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by capitalistnihilist
      /ja "Emo Wristslash" ftw then I guess.....

Lets just forget how damned cool the job itself is and whine about the spell acquisition process.....
      Or we can argue in some forums, right? It seems that's what you want to do when somebody expresses their frustration in a the six-hour crab slaughter marathon that amounts to nothing but an empty feeling. Oh but hey, it's just so easy to make an emo joke, isn't it? I guess I can't blame you for wanting that split second of grandeur you recieve after making an emo joke.

Comment

<insert random pic with lyrics from Crawling on it for some reason>
        Woo I feel good about myself!

/sigh If you post a negative comment, don't be surprised or affronted when someone returns with a negative comment. Can this line of discussion end in the next couple posts, please?

Yes, I realize I participated too.
        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Well, yeah, I was wrong about that whole thing, I just had as troke of luck and learned 4 spells in a row.
          But anyway, now I'm REALLY pissed off. 90/110 or so bees I've killed have used Pollen, and I've been doing everything the right way- yet I haven't learned the damn SPELL! All the bese I fight are EP-T+... this is pissing me off so much.... >_<;

Comment

Originally posted by Tsikuro
            Well, yeah, I was wrong about that whole thing, I just had as troke of luck and learned 4 spells in a row.
            But anyway, now I'm REALLY pissed off. 90/110 or so bees I've killed have used Pollen, and I've been doing everything the right way- yet I haven't learned the damn SPELL! All the bese I fight are EP-T+... this is pissing me off so much.... >_<;
            I had trouble learning Pollen, but not too much. I had a lot of trouble learning Wild Oats.

Comment

Learning Ablities is completely random. 100% no sense whats so ever. For example Someone said that if you max out INT you learn quicker, but I accidentally ate a squid sushi and learned 3 high level ablities. I learned Feather storm (like lvl 12) when i was lvl 8 and Healing breeze when i was lvl 9. It took me about 20 tries to learn Foot kick yet 1 time to learn Power attack. Still havent learned Metal Shell but learned Coccoon rather quickly.

The only Variable I havent checked is the Days of the week? Maybe its like crafting, learn earth based better on earthdays or light days or whathave you.

Comment

People seem to be having trouble learning the skills because the mobs won't use them.

Just a thought about how to get mobs to use their abilities:

Keep in mind that mobs use TP just like PCs. If the mobs aren't using the ability before they die, take off your weapon and start punching it to allow it to build up TP and give it the chance to use the ability. With an A- in swords, you can often kill low level mobs before they get enough TP to use their abilities.

Learning abilities will probably be a lot easier late in the game when levels take a much longer time. Seems like these complaints will be mostly transient because they're confined to early levels.
                There will be cake.

Comment

apparently, though, the mob doesn't need to use the ability for you to learn it.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

fux chigaoe (sp?)
                    blu would be the ultimate if they can learn 'Annoy' from those little bastards.
                    Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                    ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Originally posted by neighbortaru
                      apparently, though, the mob doesn't need to use the ability for you to learn it.
                      Didn't it say they had to use it for you to learn it in the patch notes? Of course, one would almost expect something like this to be buggy when it first comes out.^^
                      There will be cake.

Comment

as always, the patch notes are ambigiously confusing:
                        - You can only learn the special abilities of monsters when blue mage is set as your main job.
                        - You have a chance to acquire blue magic when defeating a monster that has used a learnable special ability.
                        - It is not possible to learn blue magic that is too far above your level.
                        - You will not acquire blue magic if you are KO'd when a monster is defeated, or the defeated monster does not yield experience points.

*Some monster abilities cannot be learned as blue magic.
                        *It is not necessary to be the target of a monster's special ability in order to learn blue magic.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

I believe that is in reference to abilities like Metallic Body, which do not target the player character, but are actually buffs the mob casts on itself.

Are people actually learning the abilities when the mobs aren't using them during the fight? The complaints are kind of hard to sort out... some seem to be that the mobs aren't using the abilities, others that they're using the abilities but the BLU isn't learning them.

I sort of wish they had implemented a "Draw" ability like in previous games where you could draw the ability out of the monster, maybe with a chance to fail depending on how the mob cons to the player. Something less "random". Then again, it'll be fun to collect all the awesome abilities later on (Eyes on Me has me drooling... I always hated having that cast on me).
                          There will be cake.

Comment

The lines you highlighted are neither ambiguous nor inconsistent: they clearly state that if A defeats a monster that used an ability on B (or on itself in the case of pollen, metallic body, cocoon, etc.), A can learn the ability. Thus the BLU does not have to tank or solo in order to learn attack abilities.

As for the reports of people learning an ability that the monster didn't use at all, I don't know what to make of those - mistaken reports? people with too many filters/too much spam not seeing the ability? some kind of bug?

One possibility that would be fairly subtle and hard to trace: if a monster uses an ability on A, and A dies or zones, and B pulls the same monster (possibly quite a bit later and without even being aware that A had ever fought it) and kills it, B might be able to learn the ability even though it wasn't used during the fight with B. (I.e. the monster "remembers" that it has used that ability, and therefore has a chance of granting it to B upon its death.) If this actually happened this way, it would be a bug, but difficult to find and confirm because the circumstances are fairly rare (particularly now that zoning a monster will usually depop it). On the other hand, this depends on the details about how learning is implemented, so it's only a theory until there is some data supporting it.
                            Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                            RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                            All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

For the list, since it's probably the most complete one on the internet at the moment:

Foot Kick: Agi +1 1 Set Point
                              Power Attack: Mnd+1 2 Set Points
                              Sprout Smack: Mnd+1 2 Set Points
                              Wild Oats: Chr+1 HP+10 3 Set Points
                              Quesyshroom: HP-5 MP+5 2 Set Points
                              Battle Dance: Dex+2 3 Set Points
                              Head Butt: Dex+2 3 Set Points
                              Feather Storm: Chr+2 HP+5 3 Set Points
                              Helldive: Chr+1 HP+5 2 Set Points
                              Bludgeon: Str+1 2 Set Points
                              Claw Cyclone: Vit+1 2 Set Points
                              Screwdriver: Chr+1 Vit+1 HP+10 3 Set Points
                              Grand Slam: Int+1 2 Set Points
                              Blast Bomb: Str+1 2 Set Points
                              Bomb Toss: Str+2 3 Set Points
                              Healing Breeze: Chr+2 HP+10 4 Set Points
                              Chaotic Eye: Agi+1 2 Set Points
                              Sandspin: Vit+1 2 Set Points
                              Metallic Body: Nothing 1 Set Point
                              Cocoon: Vit+3 1 Set Point
                              Cursed Sphere: Mnd+1 2 Set Points
                              Poison Breath: Mnd+1 1 Set Points
                              Pollen: Mnd+1 1 Set Point
                              Sheep Song: Chr+1 HP+5 2 Set Points
                              Blood Drain: HP-5 MP+5 2 Set Points
                              Soporific: HP-5 MP+5 2 Set Points

Definately not in order by level, just order by Auto-sort.
                              Last edited by Impaction; 04-24-2006, 06:15 PM.

Comment

How do you set a spell? I finally leasrned one and can't use it
                                Last edited by Curddles; 04-22-2006, 04:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                                X