This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avatar Primes Soloing Guide (long)

Also posted on Allakhazam.com. I'm a new member of this community but wanted to make sure this site gets the guide as well.

Begin Repost

Okay, I know soloing Avatar Primes has been done before, but I haven't seen a guide for them yet. Over the last couple of days, I have been soloing Avatar Primes and I just completed all 6 main Primes last night. I had a friend tag along so he could get his Whispers as well, but he in no way, shape or form helped me to any degree other than a few Raise 2's OUTSIDE the battle arena. So, during the fight, no help what-so-ever, but at least I had a witness, lol. If you're anything like me, you perform very badly with others watching... Murphy's Law is much in effect here. So, if you are like me, do these alone, lol. On to the guide.

Items, Gear, Merits, Job, etc.
    Job: 75BST/NIN
    Merits: 1x Axe Skill, 1x Beast Affinity

Zero 2hr's used in any solo of Avatar Primes.

Weapon: Woodville's Axe, Tabarzin, 2x Rune Axes
    Head: O-Hat
    Body: Hauberk, Gaudy Harness, Narasimha's Vest
    Pants: Ryl. Knight Breeches
    Gloves: Ogre Gloves
    Feet: Rutter Sabatons, Dance Shoes, Beast Gaiters
    Ring1: Flame Ring
    Ring2: Ruby Ring
    Earring1: Assault Earring, Dodge Earring
    Earring2: Coral Earring, Dodge Earring
    Neck: Civalrous Chain
    Shield: Tatami Shield

NOTE: I only used the Tatami Shield when kiting.

Items: PanzerGallahad, CourierCarrie, Pet Food Zeta, Rice Dumplings and Shihei.

OPTIONAL: If you're over 21 (yeah, right lol), drink a few beers to relax yourself during these fights. Get a nice buzz going so you can think clearly.

Details

I tried to do this with the bare minimum gear and items. For those that don't know me, I do this often so it shows the BST what they can do. If you have better gear, then you're home free and it makes your job easier. But the main reason is to show that you don't need uber gear to solo what I solo and this targets more BSTs overall and the best guides, IMO, are the guides that target more BSTs.
    I used melee gear to attack the Avatar Prime, +Eva gear to kite the Avatar Primes, Pet Food to Cure Pet and Jug Pets because we can't use anything else. There is a LOT of kiting involved here and you're going to have to attack the Avatar Prime along side your Pet.

Record

Titan: 2/2
    Shiva: 1/1
    Ifrit: 1/2
    Leviathan: 1/2
    Ramuh: 1/2
    Garuda: 1/3

First, don't let the records fool you. Shiva was by far the toughest Avatar Prime to solo and I went 1 for 1 on her. Titan on the other end of the spectrum and by far the easiest. Most Avatar Primes have exactly the same strategy and the ones that don't follow a similar strategy, yet you have to make some judgement calls. I rarely engaged Shiva due to Frost Armor (Ice Spikes which causes Paralysis). Heavenly Strike goes right through shadows so you really have to watch your hate here. 2 times I ahd to kite Shiva for approximately 3.5 minutes waiting on Call Beast to reset. This fight took me 27 minutes and some change and there is only a 30 minute time limit. I used 3x CourierCarrie and 2x PanzerGallahad at the end.

Next toughest: Ramuh. Tunderstrike causes Paralysis and goes through shadows and Thunderstorm also goes through shadows. Be very careful with hate on Ramuh and Shiva because they will slowly wittle away at your HP and Tunderstrike/storm and Heavenly Strike are no joke. Plus, Ramuh has Lightning Armor (Lightning Spikes) which will occasionally cause Stun effect.

Now, after mentioning the two toughest Avatar Primes, one thing to say about each of these Avatar Primes is to NOT use any skill/Pet Command/Job Ability that is key to your survival if you are Paralysed. That means, no Call Beast and no Reward. If you're paralysed and you use, say, Call Beast, you have to wait a full 5 minutes before you can call another Pet. So, even if you Call Beast is ready to go, do not use it if you are paralysed and kite the Avatar Prime until you're no longer paralysed unless you are in extreme danger.

On Shiva and Ramuh, use your Gaudy Harness + 2x Rune Axes because Spike damage will tear you up over time. You wanna regen as much HP as you can because you will get hit with Thunderstrike and Heavenly Strike, it's just a matter of when it hits you.
    Titan was by far the easiest. I did this one twice (once for me to get the actual Avatar for SMN and once the next day for a Whisper). The first time I used 2x PanzerGallahad and the second time I used 2x CourierCarrie. Both were very easy and I survived the Avatar Prime's 2hr taking only 800+ damage and both times I almost finished the Avatar Prime off with 1 Pet. Use CourierCarrie here as they're cheaper and not much kiting involved.
    Garuda, I went 1/3 on because of stupid mistakes. Don't let lil' Ms. J-Lo butt fool you. She's not that tough. I got over confident because I avoided her 2hr the first time and very early, and ended up dying. The second time, I forgot to use my Shihei Toolbelt and I didn't have anything ready to cast shadows, I eneded up getting hit 3 times AND taking her 2hr which left me at less that 100HP. She also Cures herself for 600-1000 HP per Curing ability. She casts a lot of Hastega and Blink but this only give you even more time to cast shadows.

Leviathan also heals itself with Spring Water for roughly the same amount that Garuda does. I tired to stun a couple of these with Smash Axe and it did not work. I don't know if I was late with my Smash Axe, but I never stopped any Curing or Spike spells. My advice to just ignore these spells completely and let them do it.
    Ifrit took me out with his 2hr because I was kiting and stopped to cast Utsusemi when he used it. 1600+ damage = The Climhazzard pwnage. The second time I roughed him up pretty severely.

Strategy

First and foremost, let Call Beast reach about 3 minutes 'til recast before fighting any Avatar. On Shiva and Ramuh, wait until your Call Beast recast is at 2 minutes or less. This is very important. Shiva litterally chews up Jug Pets, especially CourierCarrie.
    As I said earlier, most Avatar Primes are the exact same strategy. These strats require a lot of kiting and some Avatar Primes require even more kiting. You have to avoid their 2hrs. No matter what. I survuved some, but all have the ability to one-shot you. I didn't worry about doing these on the perfect day (e.g., doing Garuda on Iceday), I just made sure I didn't do the Avatar Primes on the day their strong to. If you do, for example, Titan on Earthsday, his 2hr will own you even though I survived them. So don't chance it. Let them do their 2hr with you no where near them.

Next, all Avatar Primes do their 2hr ability at roughly 50% HP. So, get away from them once they hit about 50% HP. Now, on to the strategy...

Since we now know to avoid the Avatar Primes' 2hr, we have to move on to the next phase. As soon as your Pet makes contact with Avatar Prime, it's time for you to run up and start meleeing along side your Pet. Bounce hate. If you get hate, turn your back and let your Pet regain hate. When you reach 100%TP, use Gale Axe or save TP until your Pet is about dead and Rampage to gain hate to make your Pet last a little longer. Don't Rampage Shiva or Ramuh as their abilities are particularly vicious with ot without shadows. I chose to use Gale Axe as soon as I had 100TP. This grabs a little hate and causes Choke effect, but hate is not so severe that you cannot shed it after the Avatar Prime hits 2 or 3 shadows.

Now we're going to get into how to cast Utsusemi: Ichi and Ni. KEEP COUNT OF YOUR SHADOWS. This is very important when kiting and you'll do a LOT of kiting. Use Ichi as much as possible. You will use Ichi a LOT more than Ni. The reason for this is that Ichi does not overwrite Ni, but Ni overwrites Ichi. Only use Ni in emergencies. The Avatar Primes' accuracy is so low, you can get away with Ichi for 95% of the battle. Once your Pet gets hate when kiting, click off Utsusemi: Ni if you have it up and recast Ichi. When kiting and when low on HP, DO NOT wait for all shadows to disappear before recasting Ichi. Once you've lost 2x shadows, STOP and recast Ichi. Again, only use Ni when you're Ichi recast timer is not reset. And make sure you have enough Shihei to where you do not have to use the Shihei Toolbag in the middle of kiting. ;;

Okay, back to fighting along side your Pet and bouncing hate in the beginning. Now, your Pet is about dead and your first Call Beast recast timer has reset. Now is time to /equip your +EVA gear and get ready for some heavy kiting. Your Pet now dies. You call another Pet and stick it on the Avatar Prime. But, you've built up so much hate, you now have to kite the Avatar Prime for a while and let it chew away some shadows while your Pet hits here and there for 65 damage or so to get hate from you. Your Pet will eventually get hate. Do not worry. Remember how I instructed to use Utsusemi: Ichi and Ni and you'll be golden.

By the time your Pet grabs hate and a little bit after they start fighting each other again, the Avatar Prime is going to be at about 50% HP or close to. The 2hr is about to come so stay away. The 2hr will come and likely own your Pet with approximately 1 minute and some change on the Call Beast timer. You're kiting with no Pet now. Use all the +EVA gear you have. I know BST is the suck when it comes to EVA, but it really helps when your opponent has low accuracy. I have very, very cheap +EVA gear

Again, remember how I explained Utsusemi and you'll be okay. Like I said earlier, I kited with less than 200HP for over 3 minutes on Shiva and one of those 3 minutes kites I had 80HP. DO NOT WORRY! You can do it! Have faith in your abilities as a BST. Just stick to my strat on casting shadows and you'll be fine. Don't be a wuss and exit the arena because it looks like you might get pwnt. Be a BST and stick it out! Take your lumps like only a BST can do.

After this, it's all about mixing and matching it up ebtween kiting and meleeing. Kite when you have to and melee when your Pet gets hate. Get in there and bang with your Pet. Bounce hate to make your Pet last longer. Don't be afraid to Rampage even when you know you'll get a lot of hate. Just kite if necessary. Use Reward everytime it is up and when you know your Pet has lost as much HP as Reward Cures for.

My times ranged from 11 minutes to 27 minutes in these battles with most lasting in the neighborhood of 13-14 minutes. Of course there are likely better strategies, but I guarantee you will win if you stick to the strats I've given you. The only way you'll die is from stupid mistakes or bad luck. I've used easy-to-come-by gear and anything above this is just bonus. I could've easily done these Avatar Primes with even less gear, so don't be afraid to get out there and do it. I know there are much better BSTs than me out there, so get out there and solo your Avatar Primes! Good luck and go BST!

Sig created by THE Cesario.

Re: Avatar Primes Soloing Guide (long)

Really great information. Thanks for posting it.^^ Plus this place is much cooler than Alla. :p

Comment

Great stuff! Thank you and welcome to FFXIOnline.

*applies some glue*

Icemage

Comment

http://ffxi.killvoid.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=118707

THIS IS MY HERO. IF U THINK IT CANT BE DONE, CHECK OUT WHAT OTHERS TOLD US COULDNT BE DONE.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I know these have been done before, but I've not seen a guide anyway so maybe this will help out. And, yes, Little Ninja, Kornflake is indeed a great BST.

Comment

Could a Scorpion Harness be used intead of the Vest? I know it adds +VIT as well but is +5 Evasion over the vest be a bit better? Also, you didn't mention Back and Waist armor, I was thinking of filling it with Scouter's Rope (or Survival Belt) and that mantle at level 71 which gives +7 evasion (I think it's level 71, and +7.) All to help kiting of course. Any opinions?

Amenment (spelling ...) Mantle could be used at other times probably, but if the purpose is to control hate then I think it's not too wise to keep it on full time. Dunno about the waist ... Swordbelt +1 ? Can't think of any better options yet lol.
            [LadyKiKi]
            Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
            .:|The Prototype BST|:.
            Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

Originally posted by LadyKiKi View Post
              Could a Scorpion Harness be used intead of the Vest? I know it adds +VIT as well but is +5 Evasion over the vest be a bit better? Also, you didn't mention Back and Waist armor, I was thinking of filling it with Scouter's Rope (or Survival Belt) and that mantle at level 71 which gives +7 evasion (I think it's level 71, and +7.) All to help kiting of course. Any opinions?

Amenment (spelling ...) Mantle could be used at other times probably, but if the purpose is to control hate then I think it's not too wise to keep it on full time. Dunno about the waist ... Swordbelt +1 ? Can't think of any better options yet lol.
              Eva stinks for bst so even if you added that on, you wont notice the miss's. they will still be rare.

The reason why you wear the G.Harness, is for auto mp. the reason you equip the rune axes is for every mp it takes off you get hp. so as the G harness adds mp, the axes takes the mp away giving you hp. an just this little trick has saved my life many of times.

you still want to equip amemet mantle to add damage to your swings. cause the whole purpose is to bounce hate between your pet an yourself. if your pet is winning, an you cant grab hate back. you end up with a dead pet, An if you get hit with astral flow on your second call pet, that just means your gonna have to kite for alot longer.

Waist you can pick up a potent belt @ lvl 60. +3 str +8 acc. this basically replaces the life belt +10 acc, an the warwolf belt +5str, +3 or 5 eminity,

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

Little ninja:

Yeh I'm aware that evasion is bad for BST but since the guide does mention putting 2 evasion earrings on I was thinking of going all the way and adding a further potential +27 on via other armor.

Just a thought anyways,
                [LadyKiKi]
                Soloed to 75

Comment

Little ninja:
                  Yeh I'm aware that evasion is bad for BST but since the guide does mention putting 2 evasion earrings on I was thinking of going all the way and adding a further potential +27 on via other armor.
                  Just a thought anyways,
                  Thats because to be honest there just really aint a huge selection for earring choices. this is what i wore for my first solo avatar.

main: woodville > rune axe
                  offhand: Tabarzin > rune axe
                  head: W,Turban
                  neck: C, Chain
                  ear1: Supp
                  ear2: coral earring
                  body: hauberk > Gaudy harness
                  hands: orge gloves
                  ring1: flame ring
                  ring2: flame ring
                  back: amemet mantle +1
                  waist: potent belt
                  legs: byakko haidate > thick breeches
                  feet: Ogre lesi

Axe merits +4, crit hit merits +4, bst affinity 0, call bst timer 0

This was my gear setup, an merit set up for my first avatar fight, didnt really have a problem, even when i had to kite it for a short time. my acc was good to land hits enough to take hate easily, plus my gear alloud for me to do max damage.

If yo think eva is gonna matter much, blind yourself an equip bat earrings, that will give 0 +30 eva.

Comment

Little Ninja:

Wow, I forgotten about those earrings, I have a pair myself ...

To be honest I don't think it'll matter that much either unless you're a THF, MNK or NIN. (The 3 jobs I know with good evasion rating. Not sure about others, no offense). It's like how DEF/VIT is broken towards at higher levels. I can go all out of DEF and still get hit just as hard as far as I've noticed.
                    [LadyKiKi]
                    Soloed to 75

Comment

Originally posted by little ninja View Post
                      Eva stinks for bst so even if you added that on, you wont notice the miss's. they will still be rare.
                      Yes, EVA stinks on BST but against these Avatar Primes which already have bad accuracy, the +EVA goes a very long way. I mean, they miss alot even with -EVA gear. So, adding more EVA (even to a BST) will have even a more pronounced effect and will certainly help evade many attacks here. I don't think I'd have survived kiting Shiva for 3 minute+ and only having 80HP without the +EVA gear I had.

Also, +EVA gear can be beneficial to BST when soloing EXP. If you have enough +EVA gear and +EVA Skill gear and some EVA merits. If you have enough, you will see the effects of it. The reason being is that we normally only fight mobs that are T-VT. +EVA gear goes further against these mobs than they do against mobs that a full party tackles. Granted, we're not THF or NIN, but with enough EVA, a BST can evade a lot of attacks given the mobs we EXP on.

When kiting anything, a BST should load up on +Enmity, +CHR, +Killer Effect and +EVA gear. One miss from a mob that hits for you for 300+ as a kiting BST/NIN due to the +EVA gear you've equipped pays for itself and that is a miss that would likely not have happened without the +EVA gear.

However, adding that much EVA gear is not worth it during regualr solo EXPing. A BST is better off loading up on melee gear and worrying about killing faster for more EXP Chains rather than evading an attack or two when the BST rarely has enough hate to matter.

Comment

When kiting anything, a BST should load up on +Enmity, +CHR, +Killer Effect and +EVA gear. One miss from a mob that hits for you for 300+ as a kiting BST/NIN due to the +EVA gear you've equipped pays for itself and that is a miss that would likely not have happened without the +EVA gear.
                        You do mean -Enmity right? I don't see how more Enmity helps here since I'll need it to turn to my pet's attention as soon as possible. I'm not nitpicking but I just want to be sure.

/me dusts off the dust of her 2 Bat Earrings.
                        [LadyKiKi]
                        Soloed to 75

Comment

Yeah thats exactly what S.E wants you to think in regards to your gear. what fi i didnt have that on, i might have gotten hit an died. when in all atuality. it was just the random roll that caused the miss. I know while soloing mobs like A.G, hes actually gone on to miss me 6 times in a row. after muting me an stripping 3 shadows.

Comment

You do mean -Enmity right? I don't see how more Enmity helps here since I'll need it to turn to my pet's attention as soon as possible. I'm not nitpicking but I just want to be sure.

/me dusts off the dust of her 2 Bat Earrings.
                            Well, I was talking about when you're kiting for a group or an alliance. I should've made myself clear on that. When you're kiting in this situation, you want to keep hate, not lose it. You kite the mob around while other people slowly wittle down the mobs HP.

However, when kiting something solo, yes, -Enmity gear to allow your Pet to regain hate quicker if you've built up any hate on the mob you're kiting.

Originally posted by little ninja
                            Yeah thats exactly what S.E wants you to think in regards to your gear. what fi i didnt have that on, i might have gotten hit an died. when in all atuality. it was just the random roll that caused the miss. I know while soloing mobs like A.G, hes actually gone on to miss me 6 times in a row. after muting me an stripping 3 shadows.
                            You can't make the assumption that you would not have gotten hit due to the randomness of RPGs when the game mechanics prove otherwise when it comes to adding gear to help a certain stat. Granted, somtimes the mob would've missed anyway, but adding +EVA gear and lots of it does make a difference because it modifies the random hit/not get hit when the game is computing this factor. It's like if you have a die that has numbers from 1-20 and you need a 20 to evade the attack, you have a 1 in 20 chance of not getting hit. Adding +EVA gear makes that 20-sided die might make it so you can have an 18, 19 or 20 to evade the attack and you have a 3 in 20 chance of evading the attack. If you had a lot of +EVA gear on during your AG fight, he might have missed you 7 times in a row instead of 6.

The fact is that +EVA gear is better than no +EVA gear when soloing big NMs or kiting. It might only make a small difference, but there is still a difference. Food doesn't have much of an impact on how we solo either, but we still use it because it's better to use it than not to use it.

Comment

So your telling me that just by adding +10 more eva, you are gonna actually drop its accuracy rating down drastically? Secondly its not even know how much evasion you can actually get from an evasion items.

why not add 10 eva to your weapon, 7 eva skill to your neck. 10 eva to your waist, or back. +6eva to your feet ? Adding a couple eva isnt gonna greatly improve your eva rating. because we as melee know, only adding a +3acc ring, isnt gonna help, unless other slots get acc added to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X