This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Avatar Primes Soloing Guide (long)

Sorry for the late reply... very late reply lol.

Originally posted by little ninja View Post
    So your telling me that just by adding +10 more eva, you are gonna actually drop its accuracy rating down drastically? Secondly its not even know how much evasion you can actually get from an evasion items.
    You're making it sound like I advise using a little +EVA in everyday EXPing for BST. I am not doing that. There are other stats that will benefit a BST a lot more than EVA. But, your assumption that a lot of +EVA doesn't work is just wrong. If a BST loaded up on EVA, it WILL make a difference. No, we're not going to be dodging attacks like a THF/NIN, but +EVA will make a difference IF a BST has a lot of it. However, when fighting NMs, a little EVA is better than no EVA or -EVA when there's nothing else to fill those slots with that will benefit us. I'm going to equip a Dodge Earring over an Assault Earring when I'm not going to be meleeing with my Pet. On mobs like Avatar Primes where I have to melee, then I'll use DD gear until it's time to kite, then I'll swap to +EVA gear.

There are DD BSTs and there are EVA BSTs. I'm a DD BST as I equip all the +ATT and +STR with -EVA that I can. But telling another BST their wrong for equipping a lot of +EVA gear is flat out in correct. I've played 2 BSTs for a total of 146 levels and I've tried just about every kind of style to find what I like: MP BST, +EVA BST, DD BST, a balanced BST, BST/NIN, BST/WHM, BST/WAR etc. And you know what? They ALL work, I just like DD BST infintely better than the others. People ask me all the time on my server how to play BST. I never tell them how to play BST. I give them suggestions and tell them my experience of each and then I make an opinion based on their race and let them decide. The reason I do this is because the only time you fail at BST is if you're dying a lot, but there really is no wrong way to play BST.

Now, the point of using +EVA when fighting NMs is because it's better to use that than anything else. What's the point of wearing a Hauberk, Assault Earring, Ogre Boots, etc. when you're not going to fight along side your Pet? There is no point in it. Replacing all the melee gear with +EVA gear, +Killer Effect gear and +CHR when you're not going to fight along side your Pet is the best way to gear yourself. Why? Because it WILL make the NM miss you a time or two where as all that -EVA gear you have on will not. When fighting mobs and NMs that hit for 300+, every single hit that misses you is helps a ton, especially as BST/NIN when you have no way to quickly refill your HP. If you dodge just two attacks in the entire fight from an NM that hits for 300 dmg per hit, you've saved yourself half your HP pool. The point of using +EVA gear in these situations is that it's not -EVA gear. You want to give yourself every opportunity to evade an attack EVEN if you don't evade any. It's a matter of which gear is best for you in this situation.

why not add 10 eva to your weapon, 7 eva skill to your neck. 10 eva to your waist, or back. +6eva to your feet ? Adding a couple eva isnt gonna greatly improve your eva rating. because we as melee know, only adding a +3acc ring, isnt gonna help, unless other slots get acc added to it.
    When fighting something you're not going to melee, adding all that +EVA is the smartest thing you can do. The +EVA not only would help prevent hits from the mob or NM you're fighting, but it would especially help on Pet Swaps where the mob you're charming is DC-T and has a chance of missing you anyway. If you fail a Charm with +EVA gear as BST/NIN, you're going to have a much better chance of keeping your shadows up for blocking the harder hits from the NM because that DC-T mob you're trying to hard doesn't have the accuracy that high T-IT do.

I'm not saying to add a ton of +EVA gear every chance you get. I'm saying use it when you have nothing else to equip in that slot and in addition to +Killer Effects and +CHR gear to help modify the Killer Effects. For NMs, my set-up is this:

O-Hat
    Bird Whistle
    Tatami Shield
    Narashima's Vest (though SH will be better)
    Trainer's Gloves
    2x Dodge Earrings
    Moon Ring
    Tamer's Ring
    Corsette +1
    Beast Trousers
    Dance Shoes

1. O-Hat: +10 EVA but I use this for regular EXPing due to my melee set-up.

2. Tatami Shield: adds DEF, Killer Effects and +3 EVA Why do I use it? Because it's better than running around with just a Light Staff.

3. Bird Whistle: +CHR. Why do I use it? To modify Killer Effects which is more helpful than Chilvalrous Chain with a mob chasing me.

4. Nar. Vest: +4 EVA and decent DEF. Why do I use it? It is better than my Hauberk.

5. Trainer's Gloves: +CHR, decent DEF and -2 Enmity. Why do I use it? It is better than Ogre Gloves.

6. 2x Dodge Earrings: +6 EVA total. Why do I use them? They're better than the -EVA from Assault earring. My Suppanomimi does nothing here, so I replace them with something that might help.

7. Moon Ring: +CHR. Why do I use it? For Killer Effects and it's better than having Flame rings.

8. Tamer's Ring: +3 Killer Effect triggered by HP that are yellow or less. Why do I use it?Better than wearing Flame Rings.

9. Corsette +1: +CHR and DEF. Why do I use it? Life Belt does absolutely nothing so why keep it on?

10. Beast Trousers: +CHR, DEF and Killer Effects. Why do I use it? Better than Ryl. Knights Breeches.

11. Dance SHoes: +EVA and +CHR. Why do I use it? Better than Rutter Sabatons and certainly better than Ogre Ledelsens.

All those items I just mentioned are better than having the usual equips when soloing NMs and during Pet Swaps. The values of each are better than not having them. There is no doubt in my mind that other stats are better than +EVA for regular ol' meleeing purposes, but there is absolutely no point in wearing that gear when you're not going to fight along side your pet.

Sig created by THE Cesario.

Comment

Originally posted by little ninja View Post
      So your telling me that just by adding +10 more eva, you are gonna actually drop its accuracy rating down drastically? Secondly its not even know how much evasion you can actually get from an evasion items.

why not add 10 eva to your weapon, 7 eva skill to your neck. 10 eva to your waist, or back. +6eva to your feet ? Adding a couple eva isnt gonna greatly improve your eva rating. because we as melee know, only adding a +3acc ring, isnt gonna help, unless other slots get acc added to it.
      Don't know about the higher level avatar fight, but on the 20 solo Shiva's miss rate went up dramatically when using evasion gear. I changed out gear for the Scentless armbands from the battle gloves 2 higher evasion same defence. Light soleas for another evasion up and 1 lower defence and the eye circlet for another evasion boost. In the 20 level cap at least it makes a vissible difference. Probably need more for the higher level event though.

Comment

Even the Avatar Primes have accuracy problems like the Lv20 battles. They actually missed me quite a bit with -EVA gear. Since these Primes are on the threshold of hit/miss with melee attacks, a little +EVA goes a long way.

Sig created by THE Cesario.

Comment

I don't have BST leveled very high yet, definitely not anywhere near the point that I could solo one of the Primes, but this was an exceptional guide. Very detailed and well-written. If this isn't already a sticky then it should be.

EDIT: I see that it is, in fact, a sticky.
          sigpic
          ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
          ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
          ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
          ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

I also enjoyed it. I would like a little more explanation or maybe a specific instance concerning the overighting of shadows with Ni and ichi. Maybe i should just read it again. I'm not a ninja, I got it to 37 and quit. I needed sub for my mnk. I only use NI when using mnk. As for the evasion argument. I fought Maat using my best DD hear and got waxed fast as hell. Someone told me use evasion+ gear and I smoked him with like 65% hp left. Evasion definately has its place. My bst however is 54 and I swap in Crow gear for the + evas. when the mob turns to me because of hate it misses a hell of alot more now. My pet lasts longer. I can also join in the fight earlier because of the -enmity or however you spell it. If i need to gain hate to keep my pet alive I recast ichi and WS stealing hate. A miss is like an extra shadow. It has a % chance but more of a % is better than less.

Comment

Anyone think fenrir can be duo ? I duo all 6 avatar np with bst.
              Last edited by Drkray; 06-02-2009, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drkray View Post
                Anyone think fenrir can be duo ? I duo all 6 avatar np with bst.
                No.
                [LadyKiKi]
                Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
                .:|The Prototype BST|:.
                Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

kk how much ppl you need to do it?

Comment

You'll need 6.

I don't remember but the times our shell did it it would be at least 3-4 SMN and 2 BST (the 2 BST were just fillers really or to hold Fenrir down while the SMNs resummon).

If you want normal strategies check out the SMN forum or wiki.
                    [LadyKiKi]
                    Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
                    .:|The Prototype BST|:.
                    Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

I've seen videos of RDM/NIN soloing it but that requires a ton of gear, skill, and luck. The third one is key, I've got the gear and the skill (probably) but I'm the unluckiest son of a bitch in the world.

I've done it 5-man, that's the lowest, but I bet some skilled players could duo or trio. And I do mean skilled, not just players who are fairly good. They've gotta be good.
                      sigpic
                      ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                      ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                      ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                      ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Working...
                      X