Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• /nin or /whm?

Which sub do you solo with and why?

After vote please have a detailed answer to back it up .

Even though most of our BST gear are more /WHM based, i still choose /NIN because of the shadows. I hate it though because /NIN is used for about every single one of our jobs.

/NIN shadow's can keep you alive for quite a while, they take some ~ga spells and most damage, and you dont have to rest as much pre-30. Also, you get the sneak(?) and invis ninjutsu, which instead of the spells, have a set timer with it. When I was on /WHM I had to rest like every three fights because each cure I casted grabbed hate from the monster, so I had to heal for both HP and MP. I dont mind buying Panama Au Laits once in a whle to help cure HP, even some X-Potions. I would take an Utsusemi-Ni at lvl 74-75 instead of Blink and Stoneskin than a white mage sub has.

These are just my 2 cents and please don't turn this into a flame board. I'm not trying to decide for myself(already a /NIN), I just want to see what everyone does theirselves and have a fun poll.

Thanks!!
    White Mage
    73.91%
    Ninja
    26.09%
    Last edited by Samora; 07-18-2006, 06:23 AM.
    Final Fantasy X

Final Fantasy VII

Which FF Character Are You?
    Samora Windurst Rank 8
    {Tarutaru}{Power}
    BLM75, BST45, NIN37, WHM36, THF25,WAR17, SMN10
    Sylph Server
    BLM:
    AF: 5/5
    Zenith Mitts: O
    Rostrum Pumps: O
    Iquira Weskit: O
    Moldavite Earring: O
    Sky: O
    Sea: X
    Cooking: 85

Re: /nin or /whm?

I would sub NIN for Beastmaster because I plan on doing a duo with my wife who will be subbing WHM. If I were to go it alone though I would sub WHM for the buffs and cures.
    You kill one man, your a murderer
    Kill many and your a conquerer
    Kill them all... your a God.

Comment

Well, I'd opt for a third option: Situational.

For certain situations /WHM is a godsend: Healing, Status heals, and Blink (and eventually stoneskin when I hit 56).

That being said, there are situations where /NIN is beneficial. I have used /NIN for mobs that have high damage single target attacks/specials, or hit fairly slow. Example: I used /NIN alot when fighting in the deserts (spiders, beetles, dhamels).

However, lately I've been using /WHM alot due to the mobs I'm fighting having AOE's (flies, gobbies, lizzies) where I prefer having healing as opposed to shadows.

However, if I was forced to choose only one, I would pick /WHM. Healing + Status heals are invaluable.
      BST66

Have you hugged your Taru today =)

Comment

Ya, I'm not voting because neither is better in every situation. Personally, I go /whm more often than /nin but there are some things that I just couldn't do if I didn't have /nin. In the long run, you should level both.

Also, there isn't any sneak ninjitsu, just Tonko for invisible.
        75BST 75BLU 40BLM 40DRK 38WHM 37RDM 37NIN 37THF 20WAR
        99.1 Cooking / 20 Alchemy / 15 Woodworking
        Asura Hume LS=Illuminaire
        FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Page
        FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Cooking Guide

Comment

I've just recently reached lvl 25, so I could switch to using /NIN instead of /WHM. But I think I'll stick with /WHM for the following reasons:
          - "-na" spells. Paralyze and Poison suck.
          - Dia. I've had one occasion where a mob keeled over and died from Dia just as I was about to run off in a panic.
          - Erase. Can't use it yet, and I can't wait until I'm able to. It's so annoying to be stuck with DoTs and slow.
          Lyonheart
          lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
          Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
          Fishing 60

Lakiskline
          Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
          Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
          Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
          Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

I've used /whm for my entire bst career so far (solo xp-wise), but I have /whm /nin and /war all to 37 so I can keep my options open to switch it up for different situations. I should be duoing more once I hit 74/75 and at that point I think it would make sense for one of us to go with /nin and the other as /whm that way the two of us can get the best of both worlds.

I voted /whm because that's how I lvl my bst currently, but I think both can be extremely useful depending on the mobs you're fighting. In a pinch I'd have to say /whm though :-)
            Windurst: Rank6
            Cook81.4 || WW62.7 || Alch60 || Cloth52 || Bone54.1 || GS31 || SM24 || Leather8 || Fishing18.3 || Cook94 (mule)

Comment

I voted /WHM because I go /WHM about 80% of the time.
              But personally, I think the vote should've been:

1) /WHM
              2) /RDM
              3) /PLD
              4) /NIN
              5) None of the above

/WHM = Cure, status cure, buff, invisible, and sneak.
              /RDM = Cure, buff, invisible, and sneak.
              /PLD = Cure, buff, MP refresh.
              /NIN = Blink and invisible.

I have all of these subjobs at 37 or higher.
              I use /WHM 80% of the time because it's most flexible.
              I use /PLD when I don't need invisible and sneak.
              I use /NIN only at sky because I can't really cast magic anyways. I use /NIN also in a party.

Comment

WHM because I don't like the idea of using gils to cast spells.

But both are situationnal, add this with the fact that you can choose your camp on your own and everyone is happy ... that's why I like BST.

Comment

Not flaming, but want to correct a few things.

Originally posted by Samora
                  even though most of our BST gear are more /WHM based
                  Gaudy Harness and JSE is all I can think of. Otherwise we get the same melee gear a Warrior does.

/NIN shadow's can keep you alive for quite a while, they take some ~ga spells and most damage, and you dont have to rest as much pre-30.
                  Since when does Utsusemi absorb -ga Spells? -ga spells wipe all your shadows. There are AoE TP moves that shadows absorb, and some that they don't, but don't wipe the shadows as well.

Also, you get the sneak(?) and invis ninjutsu, which instead of the spells, have a set timer with it.
                  There is no Sneak Ninjutsu.

I'm /Whm mostly. Gaudy Harness really makes resting a pretty much non-issue. Dark Staff makes resting damn fast as well. If you get hit as /Nin you have no fast way to heal that HP. At 70 you can use Dual Rune axes for a nice regen however.

I like to go /Nin when I can, but /Whm just suits camps a good bet better to me.

San d'Oria 8-2 :: ZM14 :: PM Storms of Fate :: ToAU 15
                  Want an Optical Hat? 1M (Your cluster) / 2.5M (Cluster suplied). /tell Cesario, Firedevil, or Duong. (Siren)

Comment

Why do I level with /whm?

1. I don't have ninja leveled.
                    2. I'm taru.
                    3. Gaudy harness. Who could miss that?
                    4. I probably wouldn't use it until 74.
                    5. It feels like everything has AoE shadow eatting moves.
                    6. I don't want to make my duo partner have to cure me LIKE I DID FOR EVERY /NIN I DUOED WITH. (note: although as bst you can solo any way you want, I just don't get why my partner says we should do gobs with him as /nin and him not running away from bombs)

BRD72 BST58 Windurst 8
                    Got to charm em all!
                    lolemobst~Veve~

Comment

i went 1-54 as /nin. everything since then is /whm, theres just too many moves out there that go thru utsusemi or arent blocked by utsusemi. id love to find a place that will be /nin friendly again.

im hoping that at 61 fightin lesser colibri will be a nice lvl to use /nin.
                      also, at 70 once im able to hit sky, its /nin all the way with GH + rune axes x2.

/whm is just all around useful.
                      Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                      ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

I only use nin sub when:
                        1. Fighting hard NMs.
                        2. When im in sky.

For everything else i find /whm sub being more useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Extacy
                          I only use nin sub when:
                          1. Fighting hard NMs.
                          2. When im in sky.

For everything else i find /whm sub being more useful.
                          Same.
                          72+2 Bonecrafting (Bone Purification, Filing, Protective Spectacles, Boneworker's Apron)
                          60+1 Leathercraft (Leather Ensorcellment, Tanning, Tanner's Gloves)
                          53 Clothcraft
                          60 Woodworking (Lumberjack, Wood Ensorcellment)
                          60 Cooking (92+1 Mule)
                          58 Alchemy
                          40 Fishing (Frog Fishing, 3,704/10,000 MC for Lu Shang)
                          15 Smithing
                          5 Goldsmithing

Comment

I go with /nin mainly because I dont have whm lvled. Yeah, it kinda limits me, but I absolutely hate leveling whm. I have a 75 Taru blm, and it killed me to lvl whm to 37 for that. People always say that you have a lot of downtime with /nin, but i truly believe that the only people that have a lot of downtime just cannot manage hate correctly. In other news, I have started to level rdm as a future sub if needed, but til I need it, I'll stay BST/NIN.

But thats just me.
                            Last edited by Shep; 07-19-2006, 09:04 AM.

Balmor: Elvaan Male San D'oria Rank 7
                            BST 70 WAR 56 NIN 35 THF 30 MNK 30 PLD 22 DRG 19 RDM 13

Malag: Tarutaru Male Windurst Rank 10
                            BLM 75 WHM 37 BRD 20 THF 16 BST 14

Comment

Ya, I don't think I could level WHM to 37 on more than one toon either. =p
                              75BST 75BLU 40BLM 40DRK 38WHM 37RDM 37NIN 37THF 20WAR
                              99.1 Cooking / 20 Alchemy / 15 Woodworking
                              Asura Hume LS=Illuminaire
                              FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Page
                              FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Cooking Guide

Comment

Working...
                              X