This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BST /anon

I was leveling my bst and was /anon when i got a /tell from another bst who seemed to take this as a personal insult. then after a brief exchange of ideas he proceeded to shadow my every move and attempted to drop a mob on me twice to kill me. While playing bst I have seen plenty of players /anon while leveling and plenty that don't use /anon. was this a gross overreaction on his part or did i deserve the attempts on my characters life?

Re: BST /anon

erm whoever that guy is. is just a jerk. if he doesn't like your on anon then tough luck to him. /anon is a right to prevent being bugged because of X job help or mage sub for a raise and so on

Comment

he was just being an ass... once i get invited into pt i go /anon so i can pt undisturbed

Comment

He way overreacted. But there is a reason for his anger. Some bst do get pissy when bst lvl anon since there is no way to know they are there to compete with until you get to the zone and you see them in what you thought was an empty camp. If you were in his situations you probably would have handled it a lot better than he did. He could have gotten banned for that behaviour if you chose to report him to a gm.

Did you deserve that treatment? No
        Should you lvl without anon so intelligent bst will know you are already lvling in the zone and give you less competition? Yes

36 War/15 Mnk/22 Thf/62 Pld/Bst 75/Nin 33/Whm 36/Blm 19/Cor 7
        Full Af X2 • Rank 8 • Alchemy 65

Comment

It does sound like he was overreacting but some people are just touchy. What I've started doing when I'm out exping now is actually leave a message in the search box stating what I'm hunting or if it's a camp, what camp I'm at. It seems to have worked nicely as I haven't had anyone freak out due to being anon.
          ToAU M8 - Completed
          Assault LV1 2/5
          Lv75 SMN, Lv75 WHM Lv66 BST
          Lu Shang Acquired 28/08/04
          ----------------------------------------

Comment

What's more annoying, being in a one man xp camp and having someone else barge in and steal your xp, or having to tell a few people (I'm busy) while you level? I'd personally take the few tells. I hate when I run all the way to upper delkfuts, only to find that the camps are already taken by 2 /anon bsts.
            BLM 75 / BST 75 / RDM 37 / WHM 37 / NIN 37 / SMN 35 / SAM 34
            Clothcraft: 82.3 +2
            Fishing: 36.0
            Rank 10 / Zilart 14 / CoP 5.1
            Let's support Gil Sellers!
            Useful Links Graveyard
            Third Law of Beastmastery: He who hath attained a higher level shall soon again visit his past level.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenthan
              What's more annoying, being in a one man xp camp and having someone else barge in and steal your xp, or having to tell a few people (I'm busy) while you level? I'd personally take the few tells. I hate when I run all the way to upper delkfuts, only to find that the camps are already taken by 2 /anon bsts.
              Lol.. shit happens. /anon is part of the game, you can use it when you want to. That guy who got angry because of it doesn't understand FFXI completely in my opinion.
              http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=953347

War75 Thf75 Pld75 Sam75 Mnk75 Rdm75 Nin75 Bard 75

Comment

Sure, you can use it when you want, but it is far more respectful of others to let them know that you are a bst leveling there. I just feel that people who use /anon when they xp are being selfish and possibly wasting other bsts' time. But, as you have put it, that is a decision others have to make.
                Useful Links Graveyard
                Third Law of Beastmastery: He who hath attained a higher level shall soon again visit his past level.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenthan
                  Sure, you can use it when you want, but it is far more respectful of others to let them know that you are a bst leveling there. I just feel that people who use /anon when they xp are being selfish and possibly wasting other bsts' time. But, as you have put it, that is a decision others have to make.
                  I'm quite sure that isn't always their intention.
                  http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=953347

War75 Thf75 Pld75 Sam75 Mnk75 Rdm75 Nin75 Bard 75

Comment

No one intends to be selfish. Most people have it hard-wired into their personality, and it just shows through by their actions. Whether you want it to or not, being /anon will occasionally cause people to waste their time running to a one man camp. I don't mean to be argumentative, but I do feel quite strongly towards the issue, if you haven't noticed, lol. Too many times have I arrived at a crowded camp that I thought was empty.
                    Useful Links Graveyard

Comment

I thought "no anon" was the unspoken BST rule. Adding your loc, prey, and pets makes life even more special. Though nobody should treat you bad if you do go /anon. If anything try to explain why it hurts other BSTs. We are a civil group even if all we do is talk to animals all day long.
                      BST 56/ WHM 28/ NIN 28/ THF 16/ COR 11
                      Shiva

Comment

Originally posted by fartzncrackers
                        We are a civil group even if all we do is talk to animals all day long.
                        LOL, totally agree with that one. Compared to the NIN and RDM I have to put up with all the time, BST's even though we are certifiably insane for choosing this job, are the group with the most civility it's astonishing when you first begin to notice that "hey, I was a total newb in that situation and he didn't get all pissy?!?"

I also agree that soloing /anon, although it can offer an exp session free of the frequent cries for help on BCNM's and other situational events that people seem to think BST is only good for, is actually detrimental as a whole to the other BST's near your level who are scouting for a place to level up. The one who tried to MPK and interrupt your own xp flow obviously did not know how to handle it and decided to take the wrong path.

I usually set my /seacom to the following:

BST {Camp}@<pos>~<pos> {Danger}
                        Pet: yadda {Fight} Enemy: yadda
                        {Party?} OK^^ {Burning Circle} {No Thanks.}

If someone comes into my area and claims they didn't know I was there, well I can claim idiocy on them and leave it at that. Also good for the JP's who are at my level since I have noticed they are more willing to duo/trio than NA's normally are. (go figure right?)

I hate hate hate running all the way to an xp camp that I know should be free based on the /sea all bst xx-xx and it showing zero there and all of a sudden when I get to the spot there is a whole party of them or some individual(s) in that very area I was hoping for. Generally, I say forget them since they obviously didn't care about there camp enough to let people know they are there and I proceed to get down to business and rake in my xp even if it's at a reduced amount per hour because I already took the time needed to get there.

ps...some of these smilies are funny as hell^^
                        NIN 75 RDM 65 RNG 59 BST 60
                        Main: Woodworking 99.4+3
                        Mule A: Alchemy 100+3

Comment

I'm with Eseuldor. If I head out somewhere and theres an /anon Bst after I did a search of the area, I'm camping where I please.

Happened to me out in Uglerg (Butched that, I know) Range. And this was before I had the Outpost and no Tele-Vhalz got me there. That was a LONG run and I was not about to turn back after finding an /anon Bst there.

San d'Oria 8-2 :: ZM14 :: PM Storms of Fate :: ToAU 15
                          Want an Optical Hat? 1M (Your cluster) / 2.5M (Cluster suplied). /tell Cesario, Firedevil, or Duong. (Siren)

Comment

I'm with those who say that /anon xp as a bst is rude. While the person the OP talked about seriously went overboard in his actions, the majority of Bst out there will agree that you should not xp /anon. There's not much more to say, since everyone has covered the subject quite well, but I just wanted to voice my support for this side of the arguement.

Comment

BST /anon is a no no. You essentially wasted that persons time by him coming all the way out to camp, because I assume he did a search on the area and saw no BST. I'd have no second thoughts of camping in the same area and competing with you for mobs til you left if I spent time and gil for a tele/choco/OP warp etc and I did my job of making sure no other BST was there only to have an /anon BST there. Regular exp parties do what you want, but solo BST, it has always been an unwritten rule that if you are exping you better not have /anon on.

Now, trying to MPK someone like what was happening to the OP is overboard, but don't get upset if competition suddenly shows up. You are protecting yourself by not being /anon because Beastmasters are probably the only job in the game as a whole (in general, there are a few asshats) that is considerate of others exp areas. If you wouldn't have been /anon, that BST would have never showed up in the first place.
                              Last edited by Harrison; 05-05-2006, 07:16 AM.
                              72+2 Bonecrafting (Bone Purification, Filing, Protective Spectacles, Boneworker's Apron)
                              60+1 Leathercraft (Leather Ensorcellment, Tanning, Tanner's Gloves)
                              53 Clothcraft
                              60 Woodworking (Lumberjack, Wood Ensorcellment)
                              60 Cooking (92+1 Mule)
                              58 Alchemy
                              40 Fishing (Frog Fishing, 3,704/10,000 MC for Lu Shang)
                              15 Smithing
                              5 Goldsmithing

Comment

Working...
                              X