Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20 bucks a week, and I give you my password? I think not.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 bucks a week, and I give you my password? I think not.

So today, someone added me on MSN, claiming to be from a powerleveling company, saying they want to "rent characters" for 20 dollars a week, to power level low-level characters (more than likely RMT characters..). Asking her where she got my email from, she said from these forums. (yes, I realise how easy it is to find my email on the forums, because I don't have it set to hidden, that's not the point of this post, though, so thanks to everyone who was going to point that out to me.)

So, I'm just curious if anyone else has had this happen to them? Clearly RMT are getting desperate and are hurting in the PL department if they go around online forums scouting for possible recruits.

For anyone that's really interested, this is the log of the chat. (not super long to read, just didn't want to stretch the page too long)
    chat log
    Tuatha - Tarutaru (Remora)
    WHM75/PLD75/BRD75/RDM75/DRK69/THF62/SAM43/BLM40/BLU39/SMN38/
    WAR37/
    NIN37/BST37/DNC33/RNG29//MNK22/DRG19/PUP8/COR6/SCH1
    Linkshell - PanicMotion
    Windurst Rank 10 - San d'Oria Rank 10 - Bastok Rank 10
    Sky [ x ] Sea [_]
    PLD AFv2 5/5!

Re: 20 bucks a week, and I give you my password? I think not.

I had someone contact me via AIM that way. I mean, you have your MSN listed in your profile. I could contact you via MSN right now. So, not that difficult.

Comment

only one way to respond to that..... LOL!!!!!

ok now that is out of my system *sniff*

Thats crazy, and also kind of stupid -.- funny to see they are getting so desperate, as to ask us to rent out our characters for 20 a month.....
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Yes, Murphie, I'm quite aware of the easy access to my contact information in my profile. I did point that out in my original post, after all. >_> I was just curious how many other people this had happened to on the ffxionline forums.

Kailea - It was actually 20 dollars a week, but it's still desperate. I just hope all the high level healers out there aren't silly enough to fall for this type of thing.
        WAR37/
        Linkshell - PanicMotion
        Sky [ x ] Sea [_]
        PLD AFv2 5/5!

Comment

oh a week? 0.o good lord, they are desperate -.- I to hope no one falls for this. Even if you don't care about the RMT and just want to make 80 a month... come on now... once they get your password, you can say good by to your character, and I doubt you would even get the first 20$ ;p
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuatha View Post
            Yes, Murphie, I'm quite aware of the easy access to my contact information in my profile. I did point that out in my original post, after all. >_> I was just curious how many other people this had happened to on the ffxionline forums.
            I'm well aware of what you said in the OP. What I was pointing out is that it was probably a fair number, because, hello, not that difficult to get the contact info. The reason no one posted about it is because there's really nothing to be done (save hiding all personal info), and it's not as though anyone with any sense would actually fall for this scam.

Also, tip: Try to be less condescending when you reply to people. It's just bad form.

Kailea - It was actually 20 dollars a week, but it's still desperate. I just hope all the high level healers out there aren't silly enough to fall for this type of thing.
            I sincerely doubt they are. And if they do, well, a fool and his money, or in this case, his character are soon parted.

Comment

Kailea - Exactly my point. Give them your password, it would probably take them all of 30 seconds to log in on you and change it.

Murphie - I realise there isn't anything to be done about this, besides like you said, hiding contact info. I was only curious how many other ffxionline members (who obviously have their contact info un-hidden) this has happened to.

And I do agree with you on your second comment. Anyone who has played long enough to get to a high enough level to be a worthwhile power-level would more than likely have enough common sense.

Just trying to make conversation, s'all.
              WAR37/
              Linkshell - PanicMotion
              Sky [ x ] Sea [_]
              PLD AFv2 5/5!

Comment

I've only gotten one "Buy some gil!" e-mail. I'm never logged into messenger so anyone who even adds me will have a bitch of a time getting ahold of me.
                sigpic
                ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Only reaaaally naive people would fall for that scam to steal their accounts.

Also, listing your contact information on you public profile isn't a very good idea in my book.
                  sigpic
                  "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                  Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I want to believe that most people are intelligent enough to realize what a scam this type of thing is. It helps to talk about it though and get the information out there so anyone that might consider it will be able to make an educated choice.
                    Originally posted by Feba
                    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                    Originally posted by DakAttack
                    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

$12.95/month for online access
                      $155.40-$466.20: 1-3 years playtime building character
                      $20./week promise of payment for gilselling company for pl
                      Priceless: account being resold by RMT company to another clueless noobie after changing password.

Couldn't resist. ^..^

Comment

I also had a converstaion with lulu this morning..be aware of her email is onmyway2007 something something.
                        She didnt want to rent my char,but wanted to power level me instead, for $80 us dollars a day.
                        this is a joke, would it be wise to report her and her email address?

Comment

Have you thought of passing their details onto the special task force? This sounds a new scam RMT are trying to do which they would be interested in.

p.s. welcome Back TGM, nice to see you around the forums again

Comment

They messaged me as well. Oddly enough, they didn't ask anything, just said hi.

Comment

I got 2 added me on msn the past week. Both tried to talked to me with lots of silly annoying emoticons for a day or 2 before they finally asked to rent my characters too.
                              There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                              but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                              transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Working...
                              X