Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Think there will be another Expansion for FFXI? If so...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Think there will be another Expansion for FFXI? If so...

Hello.
    I play FFXI and I wanna if anyone thinks there will be anymore Expansions after Treasures Of AhtUrhgan?
    I play the Ps2 ver. and I am thinking about putting FFXI on my ps3 But, If there is a Expanion what about the Ps3 owners that plays FFXI ? Will they Make a Ps3 ver? Or how will that work?
    thanks

Re: Do You Think there will be another Expansion for FFXI? If so...

Yes.
    FFXIV Balmung Server
    Tenro Matashi
    PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

There will most likely be another expansion, but it will likely still be for PS2/Xbox360/PC until SE says otherwise. PS2 stuff is playable on PS3 anywa.y

Comment

Well. If there are going to be expansion, it will come out on PS2 I'm pretty sure.

PS3 can run FFXI, most likely you'll be able to install the expansion on PS3 too.

It won't be PS3 version tho. Graphic will be just like PS2's.
        There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
        but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
        transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

I hope they make a expansion later and that the Ps3 will be able to play it. I have ALOT of time on that game. So I hope there is more to come. ^^

Comment

An engine upgrade is waaaay overdue, I still have hope they will upgrade both PC and PS3 engines (and less likely 360) so they take full advantage of current hardware instead of only emulating the PS2.

It would depend on how long they are planning to keep the game running and how cost effective it is for them to do so.

Personally I'd even pay for the upgraded engine version.

Just the performance increase and other little features like extended drawing distance and much better texture handling would be worth it for me.
            sigpic
            "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
            Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
              An engine upgrade is waaaay overdue, I still have hope they will upgrade both PC and PS3 engines (and less likely 360) so they take full advantage of current hardware instead of only emulating the PS2.

I would depend on how long they are planning to keep the game running and how cost effective it is for them to do so.

Personally I'd even pay for the upgraded engine version.

Just the performance increase and other little features like extended drawing distance and much better texture handling would be worth it for me.
              I Agree with you 110% I also wish they would come out with a upgraded ver for the new hardware. we can hope

Comment

Hopefully they will continue on and kick the PS2 and it's limitations to the curb. Beyond just graphical issues, I'd really like increased inventory space in things like Mog Safe and Inventory.

It is nigh impossible to play multiple jobs in an endgame capacity without potentially gimping your gear for one. My wife has BLM and WHM at 75 and nearly has BRD at 75 now... she finds it pretty much impossible to keep all of the best macroable, situational gear on her for all jobs at all times. This really makes it impossible to be on call with multiple jobs as it is currently.

I definitely think the game will carry on and there will likely more expansions on the horizon.
                A Day in the Life of a Taru

Comment

SE has already stated from a while ago they will continue to add new content via updates and expansions (note the plural)
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Until Square-Enix sees an install base of PS3s that is at least vaguely comparable to the PS2, I doubt they will discontinue support for the PS2 version. On the plus side, in Japan the PS3 is selling quite well, and may indeed reach that critical mass fairly soon - and on the other end of the spectrum in the USA the proportion of PS2 users is noticeably smaller.

Even so, I think we're at least a year or two away from seeing conditions that might be favorable enough for Square-Enix to start phasing out the PS2 without fear of angering too many of their core players.

Icemage

Comment

The sooner the better. Even though this game started on PS2, I'm sick of the limitations it puts on the version updates.
                      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

If SE abandons support for PS2, they'll have pulled a Ruins of Kunark on FFXI (RoK for Everquest forced a processer upgrade on users, and it was by Pentium and SoE's design that this happened). No one should be forced into a platform upgrade just to play an MMORPG, period. It's a slap in the user's face to do so.

I know our PC users like to PMS about every little thing the PS2 allegedly does to "hold the game back," but without the PS2 version, the PC version would have never existed in the first place. It was built for PS2, not PC. When Sony failed to deliver on their HDD for PS2, that was when it became a PC game as well.

If you look at Blizzard, they skew their specs to make their games playable on the widest range of PC setups possible - that's just smart business on their part. SE's goal for FFXI is to have a multi-platform MMORPG and its still the only of its kind. To cut off support anytime soon would be going against that vision.

PS2 ain't dead by any stretch of the imagination anyway, PSX saw support for years after PS2 was on the market and PS2 still has games to come and more RPGs soon than PS3 will.

And think about this. Even if FFXI moved to PS3 with a complete graphical overhaul, the same would have to be done to the 360 version as well. That's three different platforms to configure it for. I doubt the engine will change anytime soon.

As for inventory, its all hocus-pocus on SE's part. If they can give us mog lockers after being so "limited" by the PS2 in CoP and RoZ, they can give us more inventory space in the future. I think that particular issue has more to do with servers than it does one particular platform.
                        Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 01-19-2007, 10:01 PM.

Comment

If they can give us mog lockers
                          Your knowledge on the matter isn't visible. Your inventory is always loaded. Mog Lockers work on a system similar to Auction Houses.
                          Read my blog.
                          ffxibrp.livejournal.com
                          Currently: Entry #32, August 31/07.
                          Entry 32: Death to Castro

Comment

Originally posted by Legal Fish View Post
                            Your knowledge on the matter isn't visible. Your inventory is always loaded. Mog Lockers work on a system similar to Auction Houses.
                            I fail to see how.

If it wasn't possible to have more inventory before and we have it now, then it WAS possible for us to have more inventory. That's not a PS2 limitation, its a server limitation because that is where all the data is held.

That data is not held on PS2, Xbox360 or your PC - its on the server, hence its a server limitation. These platforms are little more than a portal that allow you to access the game. Everything save for your macros is held on the server side, not the client side.

Comment

this topic again!

Moderator's Edit: Sorry Susurrus, that image was just a wee bit on the wrong side of PG-13 for this forum - Icemage
                              Last edited by Icemage; 01-20-2007, 06:06 AM.
                              Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                              Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                              Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                              Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                              Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Working...
                              X