Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1-30 is really frustrating and boring

Originally posted by the_ultimate_shadow View Post
    thats what i like to hear, anyways, thanks for the advice, i am really trying to stick in there until i unlock some advanced jobs, its hard though, but im trying. im tempted to be a healer, cause i've never been that role(in my previous MMO expeirence) if i decide on healer, should i go whm, or rdm? and ...how do i solo to 12 or so with a healer? just beat them over the head with a stick
    I'd pick RDM, but that's because my highest job is that.

That's another good thing about leveling WAR, you can go as WHM/WAR or RDM/WAR and just mass murder EP-EM till lvl 12, just get some attack food like Beef Jerky and get an Empress Band to boost your XP, you'll get lvls fast even as a WHM.

The general rule that has worked for me at those lvls is to fight mobs that don't require you to heal yourself while you are fighting them because that will slow you down. With the way XP is now fast EP-DC kills make better XP/HR than going after EM mobs.

Also, if you pick either WHM or RDM you'll need BLM as a sub for when you party, so your best bet is level the 3 jobs to lvl 10 at least (it's fast) besides RDM shares spells with WHM and BLM so most of the spells (and some gear) you get with one job will help you for the others.
    sigpic
    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

couple things, one how much is that band? and two i dont know what all those "em mc rf" are...i dont know like any abbreviations and i dont have sub jobs unlocked yet, i start this game like a week ago and i JUST hit 12 with war

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

no, its not that, its just...annoying me that everyone is tell me i cant play ninja cause its too expensive, i think that, im just looking for some motivation to get through 1-30
        you want motivation?

COME ON MAN!! You can do it! We're all rooting for ya!! I've got a crowd outside my house just shouting your name!! W00000!!

Anyway, I know how you feel. I just started tonight lol (just got the game) and it sucks being low level, especially when I was lvl10 BLM in the XBox 360 Beta

Comment

couple things, one how much is that band? and two i dont know what all those "em mc rf" are...i dont know like any abbreviations and i dont have sub jobs unlocked yet, i start this game like a week ago and i JUST hit 12 with war
          -You can buy the Empress Band from the guard who gives you signet in any town, when you talk to them one of the options is Spend Conquest Points, you buy the Empress band with 1000 Conquest Points (CP).

You have to equip the band and then wait some time 15 second or something, then you can just use it from the Item menu like you use food or anything else.

The band will give you a +50% bonus to the XP you gain for either 1k XP bonus or 3 hours, whatever happens first.

- EP and all all that stuff is the description that appears when you Check a mob.

From weakest to hardest:

TW or TWTBWW - Too weak to be worthwhile (I just say too weak)
          EP - Easy Prey
          DC - Decent Challenge
          EM - Even Match
          T - Tough
          VT - Very tough
          IT - Incredibly tough
          Impossible to Gauge (I haven't seen anyone saying IG though) This is only used on Notorious Monsters of any lvl it doesn't necessarily mean the mobs are stronger than you.

Keep in mind that this only tells you how low or high lvl they are compared to you, but in most cases a DC mob could be IT to you depending on your job and your play style only, so only experience will tell you which mobs are stronger and which are weaker.
          sigpic
          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Maju View Post
            For low level mage leveling you'll do best bare handed. The clubs and staves only hold you back.
            Wha...?

Most mage jobs have no hand-to-hand skill, which means you won't hit very often, nor very hard. Also, without native skill in H2H, or at least some skill in it from a Monk subjob you only get to hit with one fist, not two, and you can't equip any claw-type H2H weapons at all (and remember the OP is level 11 and does not have a subjob available yet!)

For starting white or black mages, a decent pole is your best bet, and for starting red mages, a 1 handed sword is the way to go in the early levels.

Icemage

Comment

I'm pretty sure he was joking ... granted rather dryly.
              lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                I'm pretty sure he was joking ... granted rather dryly.
                No I was not. Yes, your skill will be lower but if you sub MNK of even WAR, you get enough to land hits on EP just fine and it will deal better damage than clubs and staves. Just like when leveling NIN. You deal at least twice the damage of the L1 katana bare handed.

Comment

Maju speaks the truth. It makes those first few mage levels go by so much faster.

Comment

No I was not. Yes, your skill will be lower but if you sub MNK of even WAR, you get enough to land hits on EP just fine and it will deal better damage than clubs and staves. Just like when leveling NIN. You deal at least twice the damage of the L1 katana bare handed.
                    This actually works with THF as well. Sub MNK to THF if you already have subjob quest done. It makes it SO MUCH more faster than trying to wield a sword/dagger + shield.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                      Maju speaks the truth. It makes those first few mage levels go by so much faster.
                      For those first 5-6 levels it works OK. After that your accuracy drops like a rock unless your job has native hand-to-hand skill. And again, only works well if you're /MNK to acquire that oh-so-important Martial Arts trait - which is not possible for new players who don't have support jobs available to them.

Icemage

Comment

File Under: "High levels giving bad advice."

Take this guy's path and you've cheated yourself of weapon skillups and weaponskills for your job. Not only that, when you go to start a new job, you won't have those weaponskills to fall back on, you still won't have them skilled.

Go with the best weapons for your job as soon as you can equip them:

Monk - Hand-to-hand weapons
                        Warrior - Axe and Great Axe
                        Thief - Dagger and Sword
                        White Mage - Clubs and Staves
                        Black Mage - Clubs and Staves
                        Red Mage - Swords, Clubs or Staves.

As far as the road to advanced jobs goes, yes it sucks, but just because they're advanced jobs doesn't mean those first six are any less worthy of consideration. Red Mage and Warrior in particular can end up being every bit as advanced as "advanced jobs" are.

Both jobs can enjoy a wide array of subjobs for various situations. RDM tends to use BLM or WHM in parties, but can use NIN for solo and even WAR or DRK for solo and PvP. /SMN for high level functions, too.

WAR usually goes /MNK, /THF or /NIN. But /SAM is starting to look really good for it too, /RNG is nothing to sneeze at, either.

I've been on the fence between WAR and NIN for my third job on my mithra. NIN is fairly expensive and I already play Ranger and Corsair, which arguably spend more than NIN per level on tools and ammo. WAR is less expensive overall, yet, I want some degree of soloability on my mithra and RNG, COR and WAR do not offer that to me - NIN does.

To offset the costs I'm facing, I have to look to other jobs to play at times. I do this by soloing Beastmaster, soloing/farming as DRG and doing BCNMs because when you solo jobs, beastmen seals often fall into your hands.

Cost is a very important point to consider with jobs, people are by no means telling you to avoid NIN to discourage you from playing it, its just VERY expensive (and thus, time-consuming) for a player making it their first main to 75.

Anyway, back on track. Before you get to the advanced jobs, SE wanted you to get a grasp on the original jobs and get a feel for their functions. Advanced jobs are only as advanced as the player, meaning if you're a NIN who never really learned to tank as low level WAR, your NIN won't amount to much.
                        Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 10-08-2006, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Who gives a damn about staff or club skill anyway? Mages never melee so it doesn't matter if you miss out on the early skill levels.

Comment

Who gives a damn about staff or club skill anyway? Mages never melee so it doesn't matter if you miss out on the early skill levels.
                            WHM/THFs in KRT PTs would beg to differ.

Comment

well, what i will probly end up doing is bouncing back and fourth between NIN and DRG, i will probly try some other class's, and i still need to try out mages, so i think until i hit 30 im just gonna keep an open mind on what class i will pick

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                                WHM/THFs in KRT PTs would beg to differ.
                                Can I file this under high levels giving bad advice to newbies too? The 20 or so levels of weapon skill that you miss out on during your first ten levels of leveling aren't going to affect your ability to melee in a KRT party later on in the game.

Icemage - I guess. It has worked for me every single time I've leveled a lowbie, which has been more times than I care to count. And yeah, you need a MNK sub for it to work. Maju already pointed that out. If someone who didn't have a MNK sub tried this and then complained that it didn't work, that would be their fault for not paying more attention.

/MNK with H2H works best for someone who already knows a little something about the game, or who has a subjob already available. Or you can just sub /WAR and eat meat and use a Hammer/Shield combo. That certainly does the trick as well.

There isn't one specific strategy that all players should use.

Comment

Working...
                                X