Pking!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pking!!!!!!!!!!!

Icemage, PvP systems can easily be broken at times. From the breif time I played Lineage II I had be marked many times and I didn't start the fight. It was just simply how the game considered who's legal to fight with being marked and who isn't.

Because of that you can get around it, much like how players used Mobs to PK people on FFXI. So don't assume to quickly unless he actually stated he engaged someone on purpose.

Maju, I stated that those games you can loose items or spend rediculous time recovering. WoW if you die you get sent to a graveyard and if you can't afford the damage to your gear for summoning your corpse then you have to try to run back and recover the items and end up risk dying all over again and again.

Aside from that though WoW is so mind numbling easy that this is a little annoyance not as bad as what you get with Lineage II or the others.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowneko
      There are rumors of a planned update to the Aht Ungan expansion that an Arena will be opened for one on one duels but this has not hapened yet.
      you must mean the Columssium and Pit in Whitegate. I've been flagged for pvp in WoW also but usaly i just jump into teh fray when hrode attack a city and wait till the yare low obn life to shoot at em then run and hide in a safe area and still get cerdit then i get unflagged. But if you want some PvP acttion ballasta and brenner are fun for you. If you don' want any just lvl grade with no worries. Just watch out for monsters with werid names that check Impossiable to Guage. Those are nms.
      [GM]Dave>> Last question.
      Player>> Shoot.
      [GM]Dave>> Don't tempt me.

Comment

Originally posted by Macht
        He actually sound excited about not losing any Items. Games like EQ, Lineage, Lineage II, WoW, AO, and various other MMOs do have a chance of you loosing all your items or spending frustrating amounts of time trying to recover the items. That little bit is enough alone to get peoples intrest I'm sure. Then add in that latter on there are EXP'able things you can do that has 0 EXP loss if you die, just adding more icing right on top of it.
        There is no loss of items when you die in WoW. The ONLY consequence of death of any kind is the inconvience of having to walk back to your corpse from the nearest graveyard.

I just switched over from WoW not too long ago, and so far Ive been nothing but impressed with FFXI and the community(for the most part). I do miss treading carefully in PvP zones when I KNOW a rogue is stalking me, or baiting lowbies outside of Ironforge, but the switch has definately been for the better.

There's alot more teamwork involved, and when it works, it's such a big payoff. Nothing beats getting that one good party that works well together. I say buy the game, and play it for what it is, and dont be so concerned with what it doesnt have.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie
          You can't bubble if you're stunned! Or at least, you couldn't at one time. My guild was like 80% Paladin. It was ridiculous.
          Actually you can xD

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

Originally posted by Maerta
            Actually you can xD
            Then the PLDs in my guild sucked. It doesn't matter! I hated dueling anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Macht
              Icemage, PvP systems can easily be broken at times. From the breif time I played Lineage II I had be marked many times and I didn't start the fight. It was just simply how the game considered who's legal to fight with being marked and who isn't.

Because of that you can get around it, much like how players used Mobs to PK people on FFXI. So don't assume to quickly unless he actually stated he engaged someone on purpose.
              Macht, do you make a habit of deliberately misreading posts just to play Devil's Advocate, or is this a recent phenomenon for you?

I'll quote the original post again:
              Do you get to pk on FFXI? I here you do but I don't know how it works It said something about just challenging ppl and you fite. Im used to runescape (lvl 81 im no newb at online games) Were you have to go into a wilderness area and if you attack someone your skulled and if you have a skull you lose eeeeverything you have, Thats why im quiting. Lost everything... Is it anything like that?
              There is zero indication here from this person that they were the victim of glitched game mechanics. He obviously understands how the system works, then decided that he didn't like it after he lost a bunch of gear. Had it been a glitched occurrence, he'd be yelling at the RuneScape staff to fix it (remember, level 81 character), and not posting calmly about it on a FFXI forum.

The only conclusion to reach is that nothing unusual happened in this case, and that he knew perfectly well that what happened to him was built into the game rules. By inference, this means that he was the one who initiated hostilities.

Please stop using black swan arguments that fly in the face of evidence to the contrary.

Icemage

Comment

I know in L2 that if you're involved in a PvP bout you're first marked purple, as to let other players know you're possibly hostile. If you kill a player who was defending themselves you're marked as red, but if you successfully defend yourself your purple status is removed. Though in L2 you had to work off your hostile status by killing monsters and lowering your Karma rating.

I had a picture of myself playing on a 'private' server with over 30,000 karma. I could take newbies down with a single shot, but eventually they updated the game in a way that seemed to negate portions of the damage I was doing based on my karma... or something. Eventually I was doing very little damage to targets that were at a much lower level than me.

Comment

OT: L2 private servers are great

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage
                    Macht, do you make a habit of deliberately misreading posts just to play Devil's Advocate, or is this a recent phenomenon for you?

I'll quote the original post again:
                    Icemage
                    You perspective is stating that he should be ranting and screaming if it was a glitch, my perspective states that it isn't always the case. I don't rant and rave about every thing that pissed me off, at times I rather not have to start explaining the whole game and all. Just want to get to point, his post was direct and right to the point. It stated nothing of the condition or situation, reading to much into a sentance can be bad.

I know perfectly well what he said and what you bolded was very direct, little detail of his situation other then the two words "Lost everything". All I'm trying to state is no one here has the right to start telling the guy what he will like and won't like. Especially off just two words about his situation. If anything should of just explain about FFXI's mechanics and how it handles PvP as best you can and leave it at that.

Otherwise you are just adding a bias view to try a swade a person in a direction you want, pretty selfish if you ask me.
                    Last edited by Macht; 08-18-2006, 11:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Mod's arguing with mods?

Come on now, let's all get along.
                      ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Mog
                        Mod's arguing with mods?

Come on now, let's all get along.
                        lol, well I'm done. My post that started that was intended to stop a trend I saw that was bad, apparently it didn't get perceived that way.

Comment

I was pointing out that, despite assumptions otherwise by some posters in this thread, the evidence indicates that the OP enjoys PK, or he wouldn't be in the predicament he described.

Note that the terms "PK" and "PvP" are common language in online gaming circles, and have vastly different meanings. If the OP was interested in duelling, it is much more likely he would have mentioned PvP (connoted to mean voluntary player conflict), not PK (which generally references involuntary player conflict). His mention of skulling and his description of item loss, when viewed in the light of the base game mechanics of RuneScape, indicate that he does indeed mean PK when he says it, not PvP.

The concept of PK as he understands it does not exist in FFXI, and in fact is frowned upon both by the Terms of Service, and quite often enforced by both the GM staff and the inherent game rules (c.f. changes to Beastmasters' Leave ability). I was attempting to highlight a potential misunderstanding because the statement "You don't lose your items when you die during PK" has a vastly different meaning from "You don't lose your items when you die during PvP".

Hence my statement that it is unlikely that he will enjoy FFXI if his primary concern is PK mechanics.

Icemage

Comment

I was pointing out that, despite assumptions otherwise by some posters in this thread, the evidence indicates that the OP enjoys PK, or he wouldn't be in the predicament he described.

Note that the terms "PK" and "PvP" are common language in online gaming circles, and have vastly different meanings. If the OP was interested in duelling, it is much more likely he would have mentioned PvP (connoted to mean voluntary player conflict), not PK (which generally references involuntary player conflict). His mention of skulling and his description of item loss, when viewed in the light of the base game mechanics of RuneScape, indicate that he does indeed mean PK when he says it, not PvP.

The concept of PK as he understands it does not exist in FFXI, and in fact is frowned upon both by the Terms of Service, and quite often enforced by both the GM staff and the inherent game rules (c.f. changes to Beastmasters' Leave ability). I was attempting to highlight a potential misunderstanding because the statement "You don't lose your items when you die during PK" has a vastly different meaning from "You don't lose your items when you die during PvP".

Hence my statement that it is unlikely that he will enjoy FFXI if his primary concern is PK mechanics.

Icemage
                            Yes, that makes sense. Problem is their meaning isn't that vastly different, it changes by a single quantifier. That being both parties intended to fight or one did not. They are close enough that I've seen people use them interchangebly in a conversation.

Which is very much how the OP seems to of done when he mentioned PK then yet breaks the PK definition by saying he heard you do it by some sort of challenging to the other person. That challenging automatically by definition makes the statement in the PvP context not actual PK.

The basics the guy was asking for, was "Does the game let you kill another player? and how?"

Comment

That's why I said it differs depending on which game you're looking at.

Example:

RO - It's called dueling, even if it means 100 vs 100 (They only recently stylized this as "world pvp" and even added a conquest scheme which is a rip-off of ToAU "besieged" and grafted on their existing dueling structure)

FFXI - It's called Ballista. It's not even pure pvp from the standpoint of most modern mmorpgs (It's called conflict) although I can see, from the story point of view, why you wouldn't want the children of Altana to go and slaughter themselves on every server.

WoW - You have different servers catering to a different player experience (PvE, PvP, RP) however, PvP system essentially is the same mechanics, just how the approach is different. In PvP you're not flagged 24/7 until a certain level and once you've left the starting areas. In PvE you flag either through intent (/pvpon command) or various other obscure means (Like running around and aggroing opposing factions guards in a faction controlled area/zone)

I can go on and on. Different terminologies, different approaches, different methods. Thus, different solutions to any given problem.

And no, I'm not defending the OP's original intent or post, I'm just saying not to assume anything unless you played the game before.

Comment

Working...
                              X