• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pking!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Mog
    Play nice.

People aren't always what they seem. He may be a nice guy
    Maybe... but I have to go through the dunes with my THF soon... and he scares me.

Comment

Originally posted by Zamphire
      Maybe... but I have to go through the dunes with my THF soon... and he scares me.
      Originally posted by Axe_Specter
      Im used to runescape (lvl 81 im no newb at online games)
      What are you scared off?
      75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
      Woodworking 91.9+2
      ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

Play nice from his responces it sounds more or less like he's one of the people that has gotten tired of the PvP styles that let you kill anyone at almost any time you like. Seriously that logic is way out of wack for a MMO because a lot of people let out their inhibitions to much in a game, bit disturbing when what they are surpressing is that desire to just start slaughtering tons of people (Which they make apparent quite often in MMOs).

He actually sound excited about not losing any Items. Games like EQ, Lineage, Lineage II, WoW, AO, and various other MMOs do have a chance of you loosing all your items or spending frustrating amounts of time trying to recover the items. That little bit is enough alone to get peoples intrest I'm sure. Then add in that latter on there are EXP'able things you can do that has 0 EXP loss if you die, just adding more icing right on top of it.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Not sure how much the OP will like FFXIs PvP features when he finds out he has to get a character to level 30 and rank 3 first.
          Also, ballista and Brenner aren't up continuously, so expect to do a lot of waiting inbetween. Especialy if you aren't level 75 yet. Some matches are cap 30, some cap 40, some cap 50 and some cap 60. If you're just 30, you don't have much choice.

Don't play FFXI for PvP. You'll be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Macht
            Play nice from his responces it sounds more or less like he's one of the people that has gotten tired of the PvP styles that let you kill anyone at almost any time you like. Seriously that logic is way out of wack for a MMO because a lot of people let out their inhibitions to much in a game, bit disturbing when what they are surpressing is that desire to just start slaughtering tons of people (Which they make apparent quite often in MMOs).

He actually sound excited about not losing any Items. Games like EQ, Lineage, Lineage II, WoW, AO, and various other MMOs do have a chance of you loosing all your items or spending frustrating amounts of time trying to recover the items. That little bit is enough alone to get peoples intrest I'm sure. Then add in that latter on there are EXP'able things you can do that has 0 EXP loss if you die, just adding more icing right on top of it.
            Excited in the wrong way, though.

Remember, the original post mentions that he's quitting because he lost all his items.

Q: How did he lose all his items?
            A: He was "skulled" - i.e. he PK'd another player.

I don't think the OP will like FFXI much, if at all.

Icemage

Comment

Runescape is a solo game. You don't really have to interact with other players at all and you can still easily progress all the way in it. FFXI is the opposite of that.

Macht: You don't lose anything when someone PKs you in WoW. Free PVP is actually something that I miss from my WOW days. In FFXI it would cause a lot of trouble, though, so it's probably for the best if PVP stays in arranged matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage
                Excited in the wrong way, though.

Remember, the original post mentions that he's quitting because he lost all his items.

Q: How did he lose all his items?
                A: He was "skulled" - i.e. he PK'd another player.

I don't think the OP will like FFXI much, if at all.

Icemage
                PK is something that is different based on what games you play.

Some PK is in a form of the story where natural aggression/enemies "force" you to PK or at least defend yourself (In WOW, if you ever get aggro by the faction's NPC and you're in "enemy" held territory, doesn't matter if you're on a PvE server, you're gonna get flagged for PvP)

I think in his case, he probably had his reasons for having to get flagged for PvP. Different boats, different strokes, don't assume anything unless you were there.

Comment

Originally posted by Maju
                  Macht: You don't lose anything when someone PKs you in WoW. Free PVP is actually something that I miss from my WOW days. In FFXI it would cause a lot of trouble, though, so it's probably for the best if PVP stays in arranged matches.
                  Free PVP maybe, but a duel system wouldn't hurt anyone. I think it'd be pretty cool to see two people throw down in Upper Jeuno or some similar area. Quite frankly, scheduled matches are pretty lame and whenever I'm in the mood to participate I can't because of my country or a level cap that would make it completely not fun. That's just me though.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyclown
                    Free PVP maybe, but a duel system wouldn't hurt anyone. I think it'd be pretty cool to see two people throw down in Upper Jeuno or some similar area. Quite frankly, scheduled matches are pretty lame and whenever I'm in the mood to participate I can't because of my country or a level cap that would make it completely not fun. That's just me though.
                    I agree.

When I used to play Star Wars Galaxies (back when it was good), there are certain instances where you would be flagged as a rebel or imperial, which makes members of the opposing faction able to fire at you at will. (for instance, if I were to killa stormtrooper, I would be temporarily flagged and other imperials would be able to attack me)

There's also the case where you can challenge anyone to a fight at anytime, anywhere. I remember sitting down in the Mos Eisley cantina, having a few drinks (yes, I'm a nerd like that) and listening to a hot-shot imperial yack his mouth off and brandishing his new rifle.

So....I got up and challenged him to a fight. He accepted and I took him out with my pistol in 2 shots. My rebel buddy arrived shortly after, and said "Atta boy, Vyse!"

Boy, those were the good ol' days....
                    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

As long as it would be something I could refuse, or turn off altogether, I wouldn't mind a duel system, I guess. I hated it in WoW, and only dueled under duress. I generally just stunlocked folks until they stopped challenging me then (I was a rogue).

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie
                        As long as it would be something I could refuse, or turn off altogether, I wouldn't mind a duel system, I guess. I hated it in WoW, and only dueled under duress. I generally just stunlocked folks until they stopped challenging me then (I was a rogue).
                        Rogues don't scare me. BUBBLY GOODNESS FTW

Comment

You can't bubble if you're stunned! Or at least, you couldn't at one time. My guild was like 80% Paladin. It was ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni
                            PK is something that is different based on what games you play.

Some PK is in a form of the story where natural aggression/enemies "force" you to PK or at least defend yourself (In WOW, if you ever get aggro by the faction's NPC and you're in "enemy" held territory, doesn't matter if you're on a PvE server, you're gonna get flagged for PvP)

I think in his case, he probably had his reasons for having to get flagged for PvP. Different boats, different strokes, don't assume anything unless you were there.
                            Runescape's PvP mechanics work thus:

You get a "skull" (literally an icon over your avatar's head) if you initiate battle and kill another player. Skulls disappear after 20 minutes if you don't attack anyone.

If you are killed while you possess a skull, you can lose equipment other than consumables.

You do not get a skull if you kill someone who attacks you first.

So, for someone to have lost all their gear in Runescape to PK, that means they must have initiated hostility, killed someone, then were killed themselves... multiple times.

Care to defend him further?

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by superguppie
                              Not sure how much the OP will like FFXIs PvP features when he finds out he has to get a character to level 30 and rank 3 first.
                              Also, ballista and Brenner aren't up continuously, so expect to do a lot of waiting inbetween. Especialy if you aren't level 75 yet. Some matches are cap 30, some cap 40, some cap 50 and some cap 60. If you're just 30, you don't have much choice.

Don't play FFXI for PvP. You'll be disappointed.
                              This man completely missed the point, try reading the op's posts again.
                              My crowning achievement:

who avesta is

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage
                                So, for someone to have lost all their gear in Runescape to PK, that means they must have initiated hostility, killed someone, then were killed themselves... multiple times.
                                The way you describe it, Runescape is completely different from FFXI... With that in mind, OP may enjoy FFXI for what it is, because there will be little that maps to compare with his old experience.

To OP: If you are looking for PvP, especially world PvP, and that is going to be a major focus of your gameplay, FFXI may not be the game for you.

Regarding WoW-style world PvP, I'd rather it weren't a part of FFXI. Part of the reason I like FFXI, and have continued to come back even though I played an orc shaman up to 53, is because FFXI is far less competitive than WoW, part of which is accomplished by not incorporating world PvP. It's nice that everyone has to work together to get anywhere in this game. Even though there are benefits if your city has influence in conquest regions, it's certainly not a focus of the game. If I wanted to play RPG-style Quake, I probably wouldn't be playing FFXI.

I also agree with Murphie on dueling. I wouldn't mind it being there, but I'd like to be able to turn it off to avoid getting random duel requests from strangers.
                                Character: Bricklayer
                                Server: Ramuh
                                31 RDM/ 23 BLM/ 20 WHM

Comment

Working...
                                X