Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
    0: FFXI on PS2 plays like mud, especially when there's a lot of shit going on. It can even degrade to 10 SPF (that's seconds per frame) mode in big battles, or merely if a bard is spamming spells on the group. (because the visual effects show on all players at the same moment) This is probably due to a slow IDE interface with no DMA support, combined with limited RAM.

1: You need to get the official Sony HD installer disc. If you're collectoring you will want it anyhow. (I suppose it's possible that someone could make it work from a FreeMcBoot card, but I have no idea if it's ever been done.) Note that you can ONLY use the official Sony HD for installing FFXI and other online games, and for memory card save support. This is because they added MagicGate commands to the IDE firmware in the drive. (While at least one modchip maker supported ordinary hard drives, it apparently isn't useful enough for anyone nowadays to make a hack to enable it on regular hard drives.)

2: Yes, when you put the HD in a new PS2, you have to reformat and reinstall. (I'm not sure about the reformatting, but I do know you can't just pop the HD into a hot spare PS2 because the game is locked to the console serial number on installation.) I recommend the Ultimate Edition disc, as it only takes about 1:15 for the initial install, without having to swap discs. Enjoy your eight hour download of the current version no matter what, though.

3: You will need an FFXI activation code to actually play it. (And before that you have to set up an SE web site account in which to enter it.) If the one in the booklet hasn't been used, you'll still be limited to what expansions it supported. The fastest way to get a new code is to buy it on Steam. If you already have an account that you want to upgrade, entering the new account validation code as though you were registering an expansion is sufficient.

4: Once you have an account, it will play all validated expansions that are installed on whatever platform you play on. I don't recommend Xbox 360, as it performs barely better (and sometimes worse) than the PS2 version. The PC version will run on almost anything with an ATI or NVidia video card, but you might need to install DirectX 9 because the emulation in more recent versions of DirectX doesn't work very well with SE's crappy graphics code.

5: Seriously, though, the PS2 version is really fragile. A couple of years ago a bug got added where it can randomly get stuck when you talk to an NPC (have to pull your network to disconnect), which forced me to quit even using it as a backup when a PC wasn't available. Some mission cut scenes will cause it to lock up with a black screen, requiring you to play on a PC to get past. Also, the next expansion coming in March will not be supported on PS2 except in Japan.
    Ok, a couple questions.

The Sony Installer disc comes with FF XI or does it come with the Network Adapter?

I did format the HDD with a disc that came with my package, it did not take long at all.

There is sealed versions on ebay for $8 plus shipping. Would it have this installer you speak of in it?

If I understand correctly, once you have an account, you can switch back and forth between platforms?

I am considering getting a copy from ebay sealed, if it will give me the installer, just so I can use the HDD. I think you have all convinced me not to play this on the PS2, but, I would like to try it, just to experience it. (part of my collecting experience) One of the reasons I collect, is because I missed out on about 10 years of gaming, when the PS2 was current. I want to experience those games....

Can I start on a PC, then switch to PS2 for a short while, then back to PC?

Where do I get the PC version? Someone mentioned Steam. I have not gamed on a PC since Quake came out.... so my knowledge of PC gaming is...nil.

Just an FYI, I paid $46 for the HDD which came with FF XI and Tetra Master, and the HDD Setup disc. I was lucky to get the Network Adapter free, so I am not out to much...and I have 2 PS2's that I want to link for head to head gaming anyways. (a slim and a phat)

Thank you all for your advice and council, it has been greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by labrodent
      Where do I get the PC version? Someone mentioned Steam. I have not gamed on a PC since Quake came out.... so my knowledge of PC gaming is...nil.
      Welcome to Steam

Steam is basically a digital game store/social network. Any game you buy on Steam will be tied to your Steam account. You can download and play the games you bought on any PC by downloading the Steam client and logging into your account.

Comment

Originally posted by labrodent View Post
        Ok, a couple questions.

The Sony Installer disc comes with FF XI or does it come with the Network Adapter?

I did format the HDD with a disc that came with my package, it did not take long at all.

There is sealed versions on ebay for $8 plus shipping. Would it have this installer you speak of in it?

If I understand correctly, once you have an account, you can switch back and forth between platforms?

I am considering getting a copy from ebay sealed, if it will give me the installer, just so I can use the HDD. I think you have all convinced me not to play this on the PS2, but, I would like to try it, just to experience it. (part of my collecting experience) One of the reasons I collect, is because I missed out on about 10 years of gaming, when the PS2 was current. I want to experience those games....

Can I start on a PC, then switch to PS2 for a short while, then back to PC?

Just an FYI, I paid $46 for the HDD which came with FF XI and Tetra Master, and the HDD Setup disc. I was lucky to get the Network Adapter free, so I am not out to much...and I have 2 PS2's that I want to link for head to head gaming anyways. (a slim and a phat)

Thank you all for your advice and council, it has been greatly appreciated.
        You're throwing your money right out the window, I understand your sentiment of wanting to play games on the PS2, but the exact same game that plays 10x better on the PC is not only easier to get, its also cheaper and still fully 100% supported by its maker.

You bought the HDD and the game for $46, Tetra Master has been shut down so you can't play it, and you were 'lucky' to get the adapter for free? Nah man.. go return it all to the store, because you got ripped off bad... the HDD is pretty much unnecessary for pretty much all the PS2 games, so you're paying $46 for one game that you can now get for $10.

Listen to the community when it tells you to let go of the PS2 version, it will make you hate the game.

My PC lagged like hell in certain areas of the game, like in besieged events and what not, I can only imagine what hell PS2 players had to go through.
        signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

@OP

What you ultimately don't understand as I mentioned in my previous thread is--unless you live in Japan (well, I suppose you can import it), speak Japanese..and own a Japanese PS2 + HDD, you will not be able to play the expansion that's due out on March 27th. Let's presume you finally get this game working your PS2 and you enjoy it; now forward a month or two and you hit the level cap...well, in that time, the expansion is almost out and you will be excluded out of a large chunk of content that your linkshell (guild) and/or friends (which I presume you will make) will be enjoying simply because you are on the PS2 version.

There are two people in my linkshell (still in AllGood on Valefor) that still play on the PS2. One is finally upgrading to the PC version while the other has settled for the 360 version.

Comment

I'll quadruple all the sentiments about playing on the PC.

But i'll add this.

I have a bit of a shrine dedicated to all things FF, (i collect FF crap, it's pointless, but it's a hobby /shrug) I have been thinking of getting the PS2 HDD w/ FFXI just to add to my collection. That's your thing bro, don't give it up, atleast your not collecting other peoples body parts. However, don't try and play FFXI on the PS2. It's just not worth it at all.
            The XI community (and this is not needed to enjoy the game, by any means) has put alot of work and time into improving the game, beyond the support that SE has given it over the years. There are ton's of add ons that honestly bring the game closer to the niceity's of modern MMO's (like custom maps, recast timers, shorthand macro inputs, the list goes on) Hell, i learned XML scripting by just playing FFXI, and i can actually look at alot of code (relative) now and get a general understanding of it's purpose, all from camping leaping lizzy for 3 hours at a time lol.

Nah, the PS2 was the birth and unfortunately near became the death of FFXI, but as your a collector, get that HDD, display it proudly, but definetly play FFXI on the pc.

Comment

Working...
            X