Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!

First, if this is the wrong place to post this, I sincerely apologize, please move this to the correct area, or tell me where the correct area is and I shall re type this.

I wish to thank anyone who can help me in advance. This has been a very frustrating experience for me thus far.

A little bit about me and my situation.
    I am a retro game collector and gamer. I take great joy in collecting and playing games of days gone past.
    I recently purchased from an online retailer, a used boxed set of FF XI and HDD for the PS2.
    It came via USPS quickly, and I was extremely excited.
    The package included a 40 GB HDD, HDD Util disc, FF XI in case with Tetra Master, Set up Guide, and Manual.

First bump in the road, no Network Adapter. I quickly obtained one from my favorite local Retro Game Shop.

I installed the HDD into my PS2 PHAT, plugged it all in and everything seems to be in working order.

Upon some research, I read that since the HDD was previously installed in another PS2, it would have to be formatted, and all software re-installed. This makes sense, since that is typical with current gen consoles.

I did that.

HOWEVER. Here is the biggy.

I do NOT have the Online Play setup disc. My Network Adapter did not come with any Start Up disc as well. I am not sure if these are 2 different items, or the same.

First, is the Network Adapter Setup disc what creates the Onlineplay viewer?

If not, can I obtain this disc? How?

Do I have to re-purchase the game in order to get this disc?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

labrodent

Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!

I wouldnt ever recommend buying a used online game.

Especially FFXI, unless you have a game serial which you only use once per account, and one comes with the disc... if the previous owner used it, you just threw money out the window right there.

Luckily a full game plus all the expansions is pretty cheap, so there's that...

I never connected a PS2 to the internet so I can't really help, but by Online Play, do you maybe mean PlayOnline? if so that is tied to FFXI and not the PS2... I believe if it didnt come with your FFXI discs then you got scammed...
    signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
      I wouldnt ever recommend buying a used online game.

Especially FFXI, unless you have a game serial which you only use once per account, and one comes with the disc... if the previous owner used it, you just threw money out the window right there.

Luckily a full game plus all the expansions is pretty cheap, so there's that...

I never connected a PS2 to the internet so I can't really help, but by Online Play, do you maybe mean PlayOnline? if so that is tied to FFXI and not the PS2... I believe if it didnt come with your FFXI discs then you got scammed...
      So you're saying the PlayOnline disc should have came with the FF XI disc? And also since it is used, I can not play it?

Do they still sell FF XI for PS2?

Comment

You would benefit from buying a new copy anyway because of all the expansions and mini-expansions that I somehow get the feeling didnt come with your purchase.

Check the FFXI website for a PS2 version probably will have to order it online though, I'd say.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and for the record, the newest expansion is not available for the PS2 unless you're in Japan
        signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
          You would benefit from buying a new copy anyway because of all the expansions and mini-expansions that I somehow get the feeling didnt come with your purchase.

Check the FFXI website for a PS2 version probably will have to order it online though, I'd say.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and for the record, the newest expansion is not available for the PS2 unless you're in Japan
          Gah...when I click on the shop for ps2 link, i get page not found... :/

Comment

Sadly Bal is correct it's most likely whomever sold you the game knew they were ripping you off.
            Each game has a serial number that we bind to our accounts as proof we bought the game.
            The one you have is most likely used and ans FFXI player knows the code is one use only.

I'd try and get my money back. There's offers all the time for this game, For a while steam were throwing it around for about $10 for everything.

When I install Playonline software it has always been inside my installation disc for the game.

My current disc has

Playonline software,
            Final Fantasy main game software,
            Rize of the Zilart expansio,
            Chains of promathia expansion,
            Treasures of Aht Urhgan expansion,
            Wings of the Goddess expansion,

^^ all on one disc.
            The three Abyssea expansions you buy from SE direct.

The mini expansions are the same but the less said about them the better.

I'd try get my money back if I was you though. The person selling it to you knew full well they were scamming you before they even listed it where you bought it.

they probably sold the character first and then used you to make anothe few $ when the disc should of been sent to the new account holder or thrown away/given to friend as a backup disc,

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

Originally posted by Satori View Post
              Sadly Bal is correct it's most likely whomever sold you the game knew they were ripping you off.
              Each game has a serial number that we bind to our accounts as proof we bought the game.
              The one you have is most likely used and ans FFXI player knows the code is one use only.

I'd try and get my money back. There's offers all the time for this game, For a while steam were throwing it around for about $10 for everything.

When I install Playonline software it has always been inside my installation disc for the game.

My current disc has

Playonline software,
              Final Fantasy main game software,
              Rize of the Zilart expansio,
              Chains of promathia expansion,
              Treasures of Aht Urhgan expansion,
              Wings of the Goddess expansion,

^^ all on one disc.
              The three Abyssea expansions you buy from SE direct.

The mini expansions are the same but the less said about them the better.

I'd try get my money back if I was you though. The person selling it to you knew full well they were scamming you before they even listed it where you bought it.

they probably sold the character first and then used you to make anothe few $ when the disc should of been sent to the new account holder or thrown away/given to friend as a backup disc,

I bought this from an online retailer of used games. There is codes in the manual, those are no good?

Comment

If they're used, they're probably no good.

Honestly, particularly if you're looking to get your feet in the water before late March, you're probably best off buying the Ultimate Collection Abyssea Edition, currently on sale on Steam for $12, which gets you pretty much everything you could possibly want before Adoulin hits (apart from a security token).
                Originally posted by Armando
                No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                Matthew 16:15

Comment

if those codes were used then they are definately of no use to you.
                  The discs would of been useful still to install the game but the serial numbers in the mauals get tied to the account which is the important thing.
                  Yellow mage is right as to which is your best option.

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

Originally posted by Satori View Post
                    if those codes were used then they are definately of no use to you.
                    The discs would of been useful still to install the game but the serial numbers in the mauals get tied to the account which is the important thing.
                    Yellow mage is right as to which is your best option.
                    There is some new sealed FF XI for PS2 on ebay. I really would like this for PS2. Now, the expansions, do they have codes as well or can they be purchased used?

I really don't have a pc to myself to game with.

Comment

Originally posted by labrodent View Post
                      I really would like this for PS2.
                      No you do not.

Worst case scenario, you can find a desktop computer as old as 10 years (!) purely to run FFXI. I can guarantee that how much you'd pay for that computer, plus the Ultimate Collection Abyssea Edition (on sale or not) will be cheaper than how much you'd pay for the single sealed PS2 FFXI package on eBay. (And to say that you'd be getting a superior experience would be a a bit of an understatement--not to mention getting continued support for expansions from Adoulin onward.)
                      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                      Matthew 16:15

Comment

One thing no one has yet noted is that activations are per-account. If you purchase and set up the PC version, you can take that same PlayOnline account to/from any platform (PC, PS2, Xbox 360) for FFXI and your login will be valid, and all unlocked expansions will be unlocked no matter which version you're logged in from.

Moral of the story: Don't worry so much about the codes being used. Worry about getting the account set up and get the expansions unlocked on the PC version, then you're free to log in from whereever you please.

NOTE: I myself started playing FFXI on the PS2 version, and eventually switched to the PC version, and I know a lot of people who maintained both versions and use them interchangeably, so this is something I'm familiar with. Oh, and yes, the PS2 version is a pain in the butt to keep updated.

Icemage

Comment

Someone should mention that they've ultimately decided to drop PS2 support on the game for European and North American region as far as the expansion goes--you will not be able to purchase Adoulin for the PS2 outside of Japan; the only way to play the expansion would be changing to the 360 or PC version. So, while I realize you just spent a decent chunk on something you've yet to try--that is something you should consider as well if you intend to play long term. I realize you're an enthusiast collector of retro gaming (if you consider PS2 to be retro), but MMO's don't quite function the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage
                            No you do not.
                            Originally posted by Hayde
                            I realize you're an enthusiast collector of retro gaming (if you consider PS2 to be retro), but MMO's don't quite function the same way.
                            This, a million times this. The first time I saw FFXI running on the PS2 I was like "Wow, this looks like ass compared to my PC" and that was a PC from 10 years ago. The UI takes up a huge chunk of the screen, the draw distance is terrible, and everything looks fuzzy.

Comment

0: FFXI on PS2 plays like mud, especially when there's a lot of shit going on. It can even degrade to 10 SPF (that's seconds per frame) mode in big battles, or merely if a bard is spamming spells on the group. (because the visual effects show on all players at the same moment) This is probably due to a slow IDE interface with no DMA support, combined with limited RAM.

1: You need to get the official Sony HD installer disc. If you're collectoring you will want it anyhow. (I suppose it's possible that someone could make it work from a FreeMcBoot card, but I have no idea if it's ever been done.) Note that you can ONLY use the official Sony HD for installing FFXI and other online games, and for memory card save support. This is because they added MagicGate commands to the IDE firmware in the drive. (While at least one modchip maker supported ordinary hard drives, it apparently isn't useful enough for anyone nowadays to make a hack to enable it on regular hard drives.)

2: Yes, when you put the HD in a new PS2, you have to reformat and reinstall. (I'm not sure about the reformatting, but I do know you can't just pop the HD into a hot spare PS2 because the game is locked to the console serial number on installation.) I recommend the Ultimate Edition disc, as it only takes about 1:15 for the initial install, without having to swap discs. Enjoy your eight hour download of the current version no matter what, though.

3: You will need an FFXI activation code to actually play it. (And before that you have to set up an SE web site account in which to enter it.) If the one in the booklet hasn't been used, you'll still be limited to what expansions it supported. The fastest way to get a new code is to buy it on Steam. If you already have an account that you want to upgrade, entering the new account validation code as though you were registering an expansion is sufficient.

4: Once you have an account, it will play all validated expansions that are installed on whatever platform you play on. I don't recommend Xbox 360, as it performs barely better (and sometimes worse) than the PS2 version. The PC version will run on almost anything with an ATI or NVidia video card, but you might need to install DirectX 9 because the emulation in more recent versions of DirectX doesn't work very well with SE's crappy graphics code.

5: Seriously, though, the PS2 version is really fragile. A couple of years ago a bug got added where it can randomly get stuck when you talk to an NPC (have to pull your network to disconnect), which forced me to quit even using it as a backup when a PC wasn't available. Some mission cut scenes will cause it to lock up with a black screen, requiring you to play on a PC to get past. Also, the next expansion coming in March will not be supported on PS2 except in Japan.
                              Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                              99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                              F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                              >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Working...
                              X