BLM as a first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLM as a first

Somebody was talking to me last night, and saw that I was a BLM.
    This person also new that I was new to the game.
    I believe he laughed a little bit...Then said "Good luck with BLM as a first job".

Can anyone tell me why he might have said that?
    I'm enjoying the job very much so far, even though I'm only at 10.
    Have a I made a mistake in choosing it as my first job?

Re: BLM as a first

Some people tend to find caster jobs harder to start with if they've never played them before. That's all.

...I don't know if I could kill someone with a frozen turkey because that is a lot of evidence to eat. Unless I found a whole room of people who also wanted that person dead...

Comment

BLM is kinda rough to get started on from about 1-9ish, especially as a taru. There's no PROBLEM with doing it first, it's just much much easier to level pretty much any other job first, and then do it once you have another job at a higher level (with an unlocked subjob and such)

Comment

As a Taru, I started with BLM. Funny enough, I didn't use a weapon until I leveled whm when I hit 18 BLM. It was tough but it gets easier when you party.

He also might have been refering to how much harder it is to get a party as you get harder. This is due to the current Melee burn mentality on all the servers. Do not be disheartened, keep playing blm and feel free to ask questions. It also helps to find some likeminded friends on your server to party with as well.

Comment

I think he may has also said that because i'm pretty sure spells get pricey over time, more than it would cost for a melee job. Blm is fun, and it seems like thay are always needed later on for events!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonastb View Post
            as you get harder.
            Freudian slip! I caught it! :D

All I can say is that if you enjoy playing BLM it won't seem that hard at all. If it's a job you truly don't like it will seem endless and near impossible to level. So just go with what you enjoy. I know lots of people who leveled BLM first - even after they had to solo all the time - and they still love it.
            sigpic
            ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
            ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
            ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
            ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses, everyone!
              What he said kinda worried me at first, but I'm def. reassured after reading these posts.
              :3

Comment

well if you think that you start with 50gil? as a mage especially low level mage, Farming is very dificult with the exception of crystals.
                Straight away you'll be faced with spells to buy, then robes and finally a weapon. Where as a damage dealer all you need is a weapon and some gear and you are well away.

Myself I started as a whm and felt it was a bit of a slow grind at first allthough from 20 I shot to 30 in no time at all.

I finally switched to Bst at 30 and haven't looked back at all. allthough warp would be nice lol

good luck blm

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

If anything, joining a linkshell and developing a mutual relationship with the members will be a tremendous help.

Many of the spells you need as a black mage can be found by farming or by completing a certain quest. As far as my experience goes, there are many people that are more than willing to help you out with acquiring them. Remember to help others out later on when the tables are turned XD

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Tinks View Post
                    Somebody was talking to me last night, and saw that I was a BLM.
                    This person also new that I was new to the game.
                    I believe he laughed a little bit...Then said "Good luck with BLM as a first job".

Can anyone tell me why he might have said that?
                    I'm enjoying the job very much so far, even though I'm only at 10.
                    Have a I made a mistake in choosing it as my first job?

It's not a mistake, it's just a little bit harder to get past the 1-10 crunch.

Another thing that turns people off is later on (level 18) you need to level White Mage as a sub. But in reality white mage is a pretty fun job to play and it's pretty easy to get parties with.

Later on in the game Black Mages are superb damage dealers. At later levels they don't even need the assistance of full parties, AND they can do whole black mage parties to demolish enemies.

I suggest putting some time into it and giving it a good shot.

Wost case scenario, if you got BLM up, you could just go level a different job and go back to BLM later. The job system in this game is sheer genius
                    BRD 75 WHM 44 RDM 20 NIN 23 WAR 20 THF 16

Score: Maat 3 Prons 1
                    Bard Maat Masher: Shiva Record Holder, 4 minutes, 47 seconds.

Comment

To be honest with you, black mage is definitely quite easy to level without a sub job. All you need are spells like bind, poison and nuking spells (such as stone, water, aero). I'm talking from levels 1-12. It is slower than other jobs, due to having a mana pool that you have to regenerate.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Comment

The spells are cheap enough from the NPC stores ... at first, at least. Try to remember to compare prices.

Comment

maybe if the person that was talkin to u was a 75 blm... the reason he said that could be that BLM 75= No other job at end game stuff (sometimes)

i know its prolly to early to mantion this to u but its kinda that way ppl love blm cuz they are so god damn powerfull and most of the HNM in game are killed with BLM power.

so think about it cuz if u reach 75 u will never see any other job ><;
                          if u like it go ahead and best blm!

Comment

Wow. Alot more replies. Thanks, everyone.
                            :3

Money for spells and equips aren't really that big of a deal at this point.
                            I've got around 60k and am at level 11 right now.
                            I also almost have enough CP to get the Legionnaire's staff...
                            I just need to find some INT gear in the near future.

@What Prons said...
                            Do I need to level WHM? Or is that just a strong suggestion?
                            I was thinking of having RDM as a subjob for my BLM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinks View Post
                              @What Prons said...
                              Do I need to level WHM? Or is that just a strong suggestion?
                              I was thinking of having RDM as a subjob for my BLM.
                              You'll want both white mage and red mage subs. Each have their own uses.
                              ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X