Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BLM as a first

Originally posted by Mog View Post
    You'll want both white mage and red mage subs. Each have their own uses.
    A number of soloing strategies also rely on /NIN being available. Something to keep in mind depending on how far one intends on taking BLM.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I learned my lesson with that after hours and hours of next to zero progress in Lower Delkfutt's Tower ;_;

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
        A number of soloing strategies also rely on /NIN being available. Something to keep in mind depending on how far one intends on taking BLM.
        Very true. /nin is also great to have for certain endgame situations, as well as soloing.
        ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Is /BLM good for the SMN job?

I plan on working my way up with BLM then leveling RDM to play as BLM/RDM until I can get the SMN job. I realize it's my own choice, but would anyone strongly disagree with this plan? The reason I mention subbing with /RDM instead of /WHM is simply because I would probably enjoy it all as a debuff-type build.

Comment

You don't really see SMN subbing anything but WHM. As far as I know, the extra INT does nothing for Blood Pacts, and the only useful thing you'd get out of BLM sub is the extra MP. At least with WHM sub you'd get cure spells, and SMNs make excellent backup healers.

I'm not sure if SCH has become a regularly used sub for SMN yet. I don't really know that many Summoners.
            sigpic
            ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
            ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
            ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
            ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi
              "...the only useful thing you'd get out of BLM sub is the extra MP."
              But wouldn't I get attack magic subbing SMN with BLM?
              That wouldn't be useful?

Comment

Yes you'd have them, but subbed, not they're not really useful. You'd get heavy resists because SMN has no natural Elemental Magic skill. And if you're trying to DoT mobs with your avatars, MP usage is such that you wouldn't want to spend it on half-assed nukes anyway.

Cures, on the other hand, don't work that way. You don't have to have a high rated skill in curing for your cures to heal effectively. It's pretty stupid, to be honest, but SE has never nerfed cures and so a lot of jobs (like Summoner) are expected to sub WHM and main heal because it's almost as good, and almost = good enough in this case.
                sigpic

Comment

Ah. So, because SMN has no "Elemental" in the Magic Skill list the attack power of the BLM's Ele spells are nerfed? That's just plain silly.
                  o:

And, what exactly does DoT mean?
                  ^.^

Comment

Damage Over Time.

Just another way of saying "DD" which is Damage Dealing.

And the nerf is hard to explain, really, but every job has native skills. A BLM can get over 300 Elemental Magic skill with merits and gear, but using BLM as a subjob for a job with no native Ele. Skill, you get like ... 135 or something. I'd have to look it up. Skill doesn't necessarily weaken power, (other stats do) but skill determines your resist rate. The higher the skill, the lesser the chance for a resist. (Resist can mean that you put out half or a quarter of the damage you would have if you didn't resist.) So using SMN/BLM and casting Thunder on a mob would not only do poor damage if you weren't geared for nuking, but it would also potentially resist, making it not at all worth the MP used to cast it.

I hope all this makes sense, but that's how skills work in this game, in a nutshell.
                    sigpic

Comment

It does make sense...
                      Maybe SMN isn't the way to go for me...
                      I'm definitely not very interested in WHM and/or taking care of others.
                      x3 . . . As bad as that might make me seem.

At any rate, I'm having alot of fun playing a BLM.
                      I was in my first PT last night ( until 4 am @_@ ) and had a blast...
                      Even met some people I can play with in the future.

And, I appreciate you taking the time to help me understand some of the mechanics.
                      : D

Comment

Originally posted by Tinks View Post
                        I'm definitely not very interested in WHM and/or taking care of others.
                        If you're not interested in taking care of others, RDM is likely going to disappoint you as well. If you have a dedicated healer in the party with you, you'll get to debuff and nuke and back-up heal to varying degrees. But you're going to be playing a full support/healing role just as often, which is more true the farther you go.

There really isn't a viable subjob for BLM that keeps you from doing any support. At least, not before the extra jobs at 30. Once you get your subjob, you're going to have cures and buffs, and you're going to be called on to use them.
                        Ellipses on Fenrir
                        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                        . . .

Comment

Please do NOT be a blm that thinks nuking is all they do. It's not. You need to help in any form thats needed and sometimes that takes the form of cures, regen, protect/protectra, shell/shellra, paralyna/poisona/etc. It's part of the job and, imo, it makes it more fun and interesting. Usually the only people I know that are just nuking as blms, are the ones also watching tv, playing DS, etc instead of playing the game. They are a liability and not an asset.
                          Originally posted by Feba
                          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                          Originally posted by DakAttack
                          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I didn't think I would like healing that much, either, tbh, but I started leveling WHM and I really ended up liking it. So much, in fact, that it became my main.
                            sigpic

Comment

So, in short my job in a PT as a BLM is Debuffs/Support coupled with DD...
                              But, in later levels, More support kicks in?

Comment

More soloing kicks in.

And for 37 levels you'll kinda have to put aside that aversion to healing, WHM will be one of your subjobs.
                                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Working...
                                X