Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but Tin Ingots can be made as early as Lv. 6. (with advanced image support, had a good number of failures at Lv. 6, but still some skill ups) I haven't gotten much farther than that, as I've only been making ingots out of the tin I personally mine up, but its taken me up to Lv. 7, and I'm not breaking the synth as much as I used to.

Comment

• what to do for profit

67 in smithing so far, and it not finding much profit in making stuff. Rather the profit is almost solely coming from de-syn goblin mail.

My question to the super high level smiths in here is:

(1) at what levels should I move onto de-syn quadav backplate and helm for profit? Right now they just break too much.

(2) is there anything worth HQ'ing in the 70's and 80's that can make good money? I looked at the list of items that I'm > 30 levels over trivial for, and nothing is catching my eye. Gold smiths in their 70's make balance rings for profit, what does smithing got?

Sorry, I don't mean to pry. Thank you for any advice. ^^

Comment

• I started to de-synth Quad helms the mid 50s. I actually got a Darksteel the first time ever. As for backplaters, i am 56 and have managed to break them into steal. Although i suspect its 60+ you need to get a succesful breakdown into anything worth it.
        Maat Masher
        Accuracy Bonus + 57
        DRK 74
        Byakko, Suzaku, Genbu : Defeated.

Comment

• thanks for the replay

I tried another half a dozen backplate on lightning day....

not pretty. 4 blew up and was lost. 2 success, and only gave bronze ingot. :mad:

sigh. I can desyn goblin mail into steel ingots left and right, but can't even get quad backplate to succeed 1/2 of the time.

BTW. Ding! 73 Smithing.... Now I'm at the painful part. Huge losses, here I come.

update: made 83 smithing! Wow, some truely painful levels! But I made it. Bastard sword and darksteel scythe just sells too damned slow. 1 a day, or 1 every other day.... After first 15 of them and only 0.3 gain, I gave up. It would take 2 weeks to sell them all! Sorry, I'm not waiting 6 weeks to gain a level! No sir! So:

For 73-76 I made darksteel gorgets. Fire + darksteel sheets + ram leather. Cost 11K to make, sells for 3.7K. So 8-9K loss per syn when failure is factored in. But luckly it's only for 3 levels. 300K loss per level. Heh.

76 - 83. Darksteel nodawas. Not as painful as darksteel gorget. I can't believe I was happy to see only 6K loss per syn. LOL!

But it's well worth it! Found my own personal niche while doing research to minimize the loss. The old saying "it takes money to make money is so true!" I love it. ^^

Comment

• Anything cheap and easy i can do to get my smithing from 25-30... I am a fisher, and do padded caps but they fail like half the time right now so I end up losing more cash than I gain...

The main reason why I want my smithing to 30 is so that i CAN do padded caps, as my money maker... so... any suggestions? Thanks. (PS. IM BROKE >_<)
            ★ RDM 51 / BLM 37 ★
            DRK 52 … THF 45 … WAR 37 … NIN 31

Comment

• just keep at it, with advanced synth support, you shouldn't fail too much...its still probably the cheapest, fastest way to get smithing to 34. on siren though, it seems like padded caps aren't all that great anymore since light crystal prices have shot through the roof (10k/stack).

Comment

• K ill keep going at it... Yeah light crystals are, and normally have always been 9k/stack on Alexander... It sucks but... I guess once your smithing is 32, or around the 30's where you barely ever fail on Padded caps, its a great profit maker for those of us who fish and hate farming/camping now.... <— ME.

Thanks again... Once I get lucky on something and get a few more bucks, Ill buy some more light crystals and try to synth em again. Because if you think about it... after only 3 padded cap successions, you've just covered the entire cost of the stack of crystals, and can then use the other 9 caps * 2.6k(vendor sell), to make an approx. of 23k profit.
                ★ RDM 51 / BLM 37 ★
                DRK 52 … THF 45 … WAR 37 … NIN 31

Comment

• add-on to the orignal's guide, 73.1-100

Ok, since the OP stoped at 73, I want to throw my experience and my road map to 100 smithing in.

P.S: you better have a lot of money. Smithing past 73, takes a dramatic jump in cost! Hold on to your wallet....

Basically at 73+, the # of syn you do to gain a level becomes very high, while the syn product usually don't stack, and sell VERY slowly on AH. As a result, unless you have MONTHS and YEARS to throw to the wind, you'll have to sell to NPC and bite the loss.

All of the formula for their syn can be found at mystrytour, so I won't list them. come on, do some minimal research.

73.-77/78: *not recommended*. Bastard sword and Darksteel scythe. ~30K per syn if you make your own ingot, or ~40K if you buy ingots. Sell to AH for 25-30K. Sell for NPC for ~12K. I do not recommend this, as they sell extremely slowly. Bastard sells 1 a day, D.S scythe 2 a week. 40 syn a level, 4-5 levels, you'll be swimming in these stuff, and not be able to clear them out. Yes, you can come close to break even selling them on the AH, but the huge amount of time and the amount of money they tie up make them not worth it IMHO.

73.1-79: *highly recommdend* Kari-arrow head. Go to Norg to get the cheapest price on tama hagen. ~4.5K a piece. Each syn makes 6. A stack of 12 sell for 2K to NPC, and 8K on AH. AH is also very slow, 1-2 a day, at least you can get rid of some of them that way. So 4-7K loss per syn. 160-280K loss per level. But you'll soon realize this is very cheap.

79.1-81: Darsteel gorget. Sell to NPC for 3666 each.
                  79.1-83: Darksteel Nodawa. Sell to NPC for 3000. Ten-shodo 3300-4500.
                  I list these 2 together because you should do them according to the situation. The problem is (a) Ten-shodo only take 18-24 a day. (b) once you sell 1, the price goes to 3300, and stay there for something like real life week. At 3300, there is really no reason to do this over D.S gorget (because the loss will be the same, and the D.S gorget's lower cap = less failure, and no sales limit from NPCs) unless you are over 81.

Either way, you are are looking at 7-8K loss per syn. Expect 300-400k loss per level.

You thought that's bad?! You ain't see nothing yet!

83.1-87: Celeta. Ok, take out your wallet. These sell to NPC for about 8.5K each. Cost ~35K to make. At 80+, you are looking at 50 syn per level. I did 48 syn, used up 1.7 million in material, and ended up selling to NPC to get 300K back... and went from 83 to 83.8. Yeah. 1.4 million for 0.8. Maybe I just had bad luck, but expect something around 1.5 million loss per level. You can sell to AH, but they sell for 1 a day, and at a loss (Cerberus is sell for 15K a piece, so i say F*** it, i'm not waiting 6 weeks to save 200K).

87.1 - 93. Death Scythe. Same kind of loss. 1.5 million a level. Again, sells really slowly, so you'll unload most to NPCs.

You can do adman ingot, but that will be highly *un*-recommended. It cost 500K per syn, so you are extremely limited by how many syn you can do, so good luck leveling. And like any leveling, you'll fail. Imagine losing 500K a failure instead of 50K max on a death scythe.

93.1-95. Bhuj. Ok, another increase in loss. Looking at 50K loss per syn. So 2.5-3 million loss per level. But what do you expect at mid 90's?

95.1-97. Relic Steel.
                  95.1-100. Various Adman based equipment/weapon.

Ideally you'll want to level 95-97 on relic steel. But relic irons are extremely rare. So try to grab them as you see them (40K a piece, so 80K per syn, that's cheap). But chances are you'll never find enough of them to gain much level on them.

95+ there is really no way getting around the adman any more. So you'll have to hunker down and deal with the 500K+ per syn. Power leveling is no longer possible, as you sell to NPC, you'll be looking at 500K+ per loss. That's insane.

Basically, 0-95 in smithing cost about 20 million. 95-100 will probably cost even more than that. But hey, that's the price you pay for being *leet*

Comment

• I agree with most of what Xiphod had to say about lvl smithing 73-100. A few points I'd like to point out tho. I've been lvling up since 92 on relic steel/wootz ingot and haven't had too many problems skilling up on those. On my server, they are by far a lot cheaper to skill up on than on Bhuj, but due to scarcity ingredients on AH, you wouldn't be skilling up as fast. By lvl93, I've started making some of the adaman armor, which give pretty good skillup and sell for a small profit on AH. There really is no way to powerlvl smithing after 93 or so, nor do you really need to. You can make a decent profit while selling things on AH and skilling up on the same time. IMHO, past lvl90 there is really no hurry to get to 100.
                    75DRK/75BRD/42WHM/40WAR/40THF/40BLM/37NIN/30BST/24SAM/15MNK
                    -RETIRED-

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?7810

Comment

• I dont know whats wrong with me, but my skill up post 58 so far has been really really slow.

Got to 60.7 yesterday and from 59 that took me 20 stacks of sheets/thread at least. If not more, even then i was expecting much more skill back than i actually got. 1.7 from them.

Clothcraft is 21, success rate is pretty good, still the odd failure, but nowhere as bad as 58>59.

Any ideas on alternative? Or should i just stick it out?
                      Maat Masher
                      Accuracy Bonus + 57
                      DRK 74

Comment

• starting from about lvl60 in any craft, you will only see 0.1 skillups.. no more 0.2 or 0.3s.. so it will seem to be a lot slower =P
                        75DRK/75BRD/42WHM/40WAR/40THF/40BLM/37NIN/30BST/24SAM/15MNK
                        -RETIRED-

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?7810

Comment

• I guess thats a stick it out then.
                          Maat Masher
                          Accuracy Bonus + 57
                          DRK 74

Comment

• I wish I never did smithing. lvl 86+2 now and yet to see any real profit. making adaman to lvl up but its pretty slow and ties up alot of gil. seriously folks smithing cost is on par with goldsmith at higher lvls and makes none of the gil ><

Comment

• I guess it all depends on what server your on. Im 55 and i can make 100k-200k profit by desyt. backplates. (In One day)

Comment

• Yo xephoid, thanks for that list.. gunna be very helpful.

Over the past week and half, I've gotten a little over 5mil to power lvl my smithing from a friend who had recently quit.

I started at lvl 38, and currently lvl 59.4... one thing is for sure... I Hate Darksteel -.-;

I have a ton of Darksteel bolt heads, which I still am trying to sell off for 20-23k a stack, because I hated skilling up on stupid Steel Scale crap.

I'm currently on Nodowas which luckily are easy and cheap to synth. I can make back a lot of the gil spent on ingredients. I still have about roughly 3mil left to spend on plvling smithing. But I dont think I'm going to go as fast anymore. You're desynthesis rate on quadav backplates and helms is weird. I've HQ'ed many Helms and Backplates to Darksteel ingots.

Even made Darksteel Falchion for my lvl 58 Test from the darksteel I desynthed.

One thing I have been wondering though, is it worth to spend gil getting guild points for the 48,000 gloves or should I wait. I really want to get as far as I can with the 3mil I have left for smithing. I'll be saving my gil mostly now aswell.. future lvls use a lot of darksteel, and I dont think I can handle the 160k stack of ingots anymore XD.

Relic Steel seems to be the best choice at that lvl. Only a crazed fool or rich one would do Adaman items. Only way I could see Adaman synthing actually being decent, is if you had friends/LS to help kill Adamantoise/Aspidochelone everyday, and have no one else needing ore for Cursed Adaman Synths.

The only gil I see from smithing, is Haubergeons or HQ smaller items. Friend in LS, is at 89+2 and has synthed 2 Haubergeon+1's and makes most of his gil buying damascus ingots and making haubergeons and selling. Of course this is Midgardsormr prices, so it may vary XD.
                                Full Cursed= O
                                Full Str Gear= O
                                Apocalypse= ; ;

DRK - /war /thf /nin /sam /whm
                                1-year break.. everything so cheap O_O

Comment

Working...
                                X