Arrrrgggggh, losing connection randomly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrrrgggggh, losing connection randomly

I've been having this problem for quite a while. For a while I thought it was my internet connection, and it partially was (last time i called them out they had a booster on the internet line and kept causing the modem to time out). Now they say its fixed, they can't find anything wrong with it. But quite often I'll randomly start getting R0. It might start out laggy, bouncing between R0 and R200 etc., but eventually it just stays R0 and I'll eventually time out. Weird thing is I stay perfectly connected to everything else on the internet, at worst everything runs a little slower, but nothing major at all. Just a little bit ago it did it again, while it was happening I checked my connection speed at speedtest.xanadoo.com and had a d/l speed of >4mbps. Does my isp just not like ffxi?
    I'm running a motorola cable modem with a linksys router. It can happen at anypoint throughout the day, regardless of whether or not anyone else in the house is using the internet as well. Anyone have any ideas?
    I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Re: Arrrrgggggh, losing connection randomly

shot in the dark here...

what's your firewall like? disable it! the potential risks are worth FFXI!!!!

Comment

Inconsistent connections usually are not the fault of firewalls.

Have you tried running a traceroute (tracert command at DOS prompt), and/or a ping test to see what's wrong with your connection to POL?

Icemage

Comment

I had a similar problem, but it turned out to be a hardware problem at the router. However, it affected everything (not just FFXI). Still might be worth swapping out the router (if you have a spare) to make sure it's not the problem.
        Character: Bricklayer
        Server: Ramuh
        31 RDM/ 23 BLM/ 20 WHM

Comment

yea i have that problem too except its consistent every 20mins or so it d/c's on me. the R goes down to 0. it hink its my crappy @$$ router (netgear). my friend didnt have a connection problem and he had a lynksis router, so one day he decided to get a netgear wireless one for his PSP and he switched routers. later he went on FFXI and had the d/c problem just like me. he switched the routers again and *poof* no d/c.
          >< i am very aggravated with it but ive kinda learned to deal with it until my madre can take me out to buy a new one. it really sux escpecially when im in a pt and i come back some times and i been replaced. so now before i join the pt i just give the pt leader a heads up.

Comment

It's definatly a problem of not having a contant stream of connection. The reason you dont notice this with other programs is they dont require a constant stream. Games on the other hand need a CONSTANT stream to be able to tell you where everyone is in real time. It's either your router, or your internet connection. I have this problem, but it's my connection, I'm running off Satillite which has a 1/2 second delay, so about every 2 second I get R0 for about 3 seconds, then back to normal. It's annoying, but the only choice I have

Comment

You know. I have the same problem. My connection would fluctuate between 24 MBps to 54 MBps. I have no idea why. I would be minding my own business playing FFXI and suddenly, my connection drops and I see people jumping all over the place.

And yes, whenever I use the internet, it seems like everything's fine.

/confused
              ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Zamphire
                It's definatly a problem of not having a contant stream of connection. The reason you dont notice this with other programs is they dont require a constant stream. Games on the other hand need a CONSTANT stream to be able to tell you where everyone is in real time. It's either your router, or your internet connection. I have this problem, but it's my connection, I'm running off Satillite which has a 1/2 second delay, so about every 2 second I get R0 for about 3 seconds, then back to normal. It's annoying, but the only choice I have
                Well FFXI just floods you with UDPs these have very little overhead, so a constant stream really isn't needed.

As for the problem Caspian, whenever I don't have my system using UPnP or configured it's port forwarding a problem sometimes comes up when the network traffic suddenly increases. You can always try setting your router or adding to your systems UPnP (If it's able to do this) the UDP port that FFXI uses. That'll set it up so that data is forwarded through to your system, has improved performance for me disconnects is extreemly rare.

Of course can't expect them to be completly eliminated this is a network after all.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

I had that trouble back when I used cable, FFXI requires a constant/stable connection even if it consumes so little bandwidth, and in my case bandwidth was very unstable (with cable) even though I usually scored more than 1 Mbps on any tests I ran.

After switching to DSL (since it's dedicated) all my troubles were solved.
                  sigpic
                  "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                  Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by KaXXii
                    what's your firewall like? disable it! the potential risks are worth FFXI!!!!
                    this advice is so WRONG! the safety of your PC and information is so much more important that a game.

besides which, why are you bumping month old (and sometimes more) topics?

>>Caspian: are you still having these problems?

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Oops +5!

I didn't notice the date of the OP

I hate zombies...

Edit > Gah! I missed the double post edit
                      Last edited by Raydeus; 08-16-2006, 08:36 AM.
                      sigpic
                      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I've had this issue with linksys routers before. Where everything stays connected fine, but when playing games that use specific non-standard ports, I get large packet loss then eventually time out.

Try connecting directly to your internet once and try your connection then. If your connection is ok to ffxi, then I suspect its the router. Linksys are known for not forwarding packets correctly.

If it is your router, you might have to setup port maps, if that doesnt work (like it did with my old linksys, no matter the number of port maps or even placing my box in the dmz ever worked) you might want to consider a different router. I like netgear personally.
                        Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                        ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus
                          Oops +5!

I didn't notice the date of the OP

I hate zombies...

Edit > Gah! I missed the double post edit
                          D'oh, I should have noticed, especially since Caspian wasn't replying...
                          Character: Bricklayer
                          Server: Ramuh
                          31 RDM/ 23 BLM/ 20 WHM

Comment

pol-1060 errors seem to happen more often than they have been recently. other day I got an POL-1060 error message when I got d/c in Kazham.

tonight in a PT one of the members d/c with that error message, and I nearly got D/c about 10-15 minutes later.
                            Dig A10; Main: Bonecraft 100+3/subs: 60/Fishing 59.7
                            Mules: Cooking 100+3/Alchemy 77.7

http://www.youtube.com/Ayrlie

Comment

Working...
                            X