Erm... Spam Bot/Huh?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erm... Spam Bot/Huh?!?

Not really sure were to post this, since there is no admin forum... So... today I got a weird e-mail, copy-pasta'ed as follows:

------
    HELLO my name is
    maureen,i saw your profile today in (
    www.ffxionline.com)
    when i was browsing today in internet
    became intrested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send an email to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom i am.Here is my email address I believe we can move from here I am waiting.
    (Remeber the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
    Thanks maureen.

------

Okay, so it's a spambot. I can recognize that easily enough. What is sort of freaking me out is two things:

1) The link to ffxionline.com doesn't actually like to ffxi.com, but some place called cyclingforums.com. Which is about bicycles. Searching google turns up that this cyclingforums place is... just a bicycle forum, they don't have malware hosted there or anything, and running a search there turns up nothing about this Maureen person, other than that there are multiple Akizus, all sending out the same e-mail.

2) The e-mail that is currently linked to my account on this site, is not the e-mail address I got the e-mail on. So it seems that this Akizu couldn't have mined my e-mail from here, so Im wondering were the hell they got my e-mail and why they decided to mention ffxionline.com in it. Do I have a virus or something? I have AVG antivirus and run NoScript on any website I don't trust, so I would have hoped they would have stopped everything from getting through, but you know... you're never 100% safe on the internet.

Anyone know about this odd e-mail, what to do about it, any ramifications it may mean? Actions I should take? Anything I should be aware of?
    Originally posted by Ellipses
    Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
    Originally posted by MCLV
    A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
    More Sig:

Re: Erm... Spam Bot/Huh?!?

She's going to fall in love with you, an exotic woman from a foreign country.
    She will be attractive, loving, god-fearing and an assortment of other adjectives that really tell nothing about herself.
    She's going to want to see you.
    She's going to need money to see you.
    Something will always come up, preventing her from seeing you.
    But if you give her more money, maybe someday you'll meet.

Actually, never.

I think that's how this one goes.

As for how they mentioned FFXIonline, you'd be amazed how many searches pull the site up on pure dumb luck. The fact that they know of its existence may just be sheer coincidence.

You wouldn't happen to run any apps like GoToMyPC or the like, would you?

At the very least, I'd say update your passwords. run a spyware/virus check and install keyscrambler
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 08-05-2010, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
      As for how they mentioned FFXIonline, you'd be amazed how many searches pull the site up on pure dumb luck. The fact that they know of its existence may just be sheer coincidence.

You wouldn't happen to run any apps like GoToMyPC or the like, would you?

At the very least, I'd say update your passwords. run a spyware/virus check and install keyscrambler
      Dumb luck, huh? Maybe. I'm still kind of worried about it, though. I don't have anything like GoToMyPC or anything remote access programs like that. I'll try the keyscrambler thing, though.
      Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
      A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
      More Sig:

Comment

Originally posted by Neomage View Post
        The e-mail that is currently linked to my account on this site, is not the e-mail address I got the e-mail on.
        You probably posted your email here at some point, and that's what they found.

Comment

Yeah... I thought about that, and tried searching the forums for it, but I got back an error saying my e-mail was too long of a keyword to use. So if I did post that somewhere, I don't know where, and can't go back to delete it.
          More Sig:

Comment

Originally posted by Neomage View Post
            don't know where, and can't go back to delete it.
            http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/dat...tml#post618413

EPIC DURA MANEUVER!

EDIT:

Found 2 more while I was looking:

http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/ffx...tml#post583464
            http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/bla...tml#post561182

ran the search with your username and the keyword "Email" so it is possible that there may be others listed on the site that weren't pulled.
            Last edited by Durahansolo; 08-05-2010, 07:56 AM.
            {New Sig in the works}
            -----------------------
            "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
            "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
            Originally posted by Solymir
            What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
              http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/dat...tml#post618413

EPIC DURA MANEUVER!

EDIT:

Found 2 more while I was looking:

http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/ffx...tml#post583464
              http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/bla...tml#post561182

ran the search with your username and the keyword "Email" so it is possible that there may be others listed on the site that weren't pulled.
              /facepalm

Huh, that never occurred to me... Well thanks. Removed them from the posts. Well, except the umm one, but that is an old e-mail I never use anymore.
              More Sig:

Comment

Working...
              X