Derams in Vana'diel related question...and complaints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derams in Vana'diel related question...and complaints

First of all, is there a FAQ section for the forum? Because if there is, I'm not seeing it. :/

Now on to my question, a couple times when trying to post I've gotten this message.

[System Message: You are not allowed to post URLs as you have not yet contributed sufficiently. Please try again at a later time.]

Now I'm pretty sure I understand why the forum has something like this (spamming, advertising, etc.) but I'm curious about how much I have to do in order to "qualify" to be able to post urls.

Also, I have a couple of issues with this "system message". The first time I got that message, the only thing in my post that could have even been considered a url was a smily. Now...why exactly is that a big deal? It's just a smily. And even if you still don't want me to for whatever reason, just disable the link or something so it just shows the text and not the smily. :/

Another thing, is it really that hard to display the message in a warning box or something, rather than replacing everything that was typed? It is kind of annoying when I write three paragraphs of information, hit submit, then look at it and see that message instead of everything I wrote...
    Last edited by Silent Howler; 07-02-2007, 11:21 PM.

Re: Derams in Vana'diel related question...and complaints

I think the minimum is something like 5 posts before you can use URLs.

The forum rules and guidelines are stickied at the top of the FAQ forum here.

Icemage
    FFXIOnline Forum Super Moderator

Comment

Hmm thats weird I have over 20 posts though and it came up like 3 or 4 posts ago with me aswell..and as he said the only thing that could be conciderd a url was a smily face. I wrote like 2 paragraphs and yeah that just doesnt make sense to me either...not to be disrespectful!
      "You can do anything that you put your mind to, you just got to try and never give up!"

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
        I think the minimum is something like 5 posts before you can use URLs.

The forum rules and guidelines are stickied at the top of the FAQ forum here.

Icemage
        FFXIOnline Forum Super Moderator
        Okay I remember looking at that, but it doesn't have a FAQ section. Might be a nice thing to add.

I have over 5 posts right now and I still run into that message. And it looks like 20 isn't enough either.
        Last edited by Silent Howler; 07-02-2007, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Looks like I also have to take out the smilies when I quote someone who uses them..

This is one of the most annoying features I have every dealt with on a forum. :/

Comment

To be honest, I don't know what the limit is on URLs for sure. It was only recently added and the admins never told us moderators just what they did; the feature just appeared on its own...

Icemage

Comment

Well, I don't advocate spamming but your best bet is to just cross the threshold, so to speak. :/
              sigpic
              ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
              ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
              ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
              ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Yeah I guess. :/ But I also hope they take some of my suggestions into consideration. I'm not against the system, but it causes unnecessary trouble for posters, specifically when it comes to smilies and displaying the message in the text box rather than in a warning box as you try to post. These things can be avoided. Might require a little extra work, but personally, the system feels "broken" when I see it like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Howler View Post
                  Yeah I guess. :/ But I also hope they take some of my suggestions into consideration. I'm not against the system, but it causes unnecessary trouble for posters, specifically when it comes to smilies and displaying the message in the text box rather than in a warning box as you try to post. These things can be avoided. Might require a little extra work, but personally, the system feels "broken" when I see it like this.
                  What exactly do you want to do? Spam and post links? There are probably plenty ways around it if you're so intent on sending us to other websites.

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
                    What exactly do you want to do? Spam and post links? There are probably plenty ways around it if you're so intent on sending us to other websites.
                    Not at all. I'm just saying it causes unnecessary trouble. Neither of the things I said in my last post had anything to do with spam or posting links.

Comment

Dak, it's the fact that smilies are considered URLs by the system. Everyone I know puts the odd :p in their posts without even thinking about it, and the way the system is now, your entire post disappears and is replaced by the message.

It does suck for the new members Silent, but the filter is in place to stop all of the RMT spammers that come here every day. This site is one of the few that takes such a stong stand against it.
                      sigpic
                      ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                      ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                      ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                      ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Not at all. I'm just saying it causes unnecessary trouble. Neither of the things I said in my last post had anything to do with spam or posting links.
                        I know, all you did was complain. One post would have been enough.

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
                          I know, all you did was complain. One post would have been enough.
                          No, complaining was not all I did. I also offered suggestions for how they could make this less of a hassle for newer members.

Aksannyi, yeah that's true. But that brings up another thing too. If the only reason why I came here was to spam I would have been long gone by now. Hence, a 5 or 10 post requirement would probably be enough. :/

Comment

If the only reason why I came here was to spam I would have been long gone by now. Hence, a 5 or 10 post requirement would probably be enough. :/
                            You underestimate professional spammers and scammers.
                            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                              You underestimate professional spammers and scammers.
                              lol, possibly. But I wouldn't know since I haven't seen any here. But I wouldn't imagine a spammer or scammer having a very high post count without having 90% of them being spam or scams.

Comment

Working...
                              X