Sticky policy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky policy?

I'm wondering what is the policy for stickies? The reason I ask is that I see a lot of out dated guide type posting stickied.

Take for example: FYI: DRK Subs in a nutshell
    http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/dar...-nutshell.html

The original author (Awntawn) hasn't been active since October 2005, as far as I can tell, and who knows when the guide was last maintained?

In the meanwhile, changes to SAM isn't reflected, and the dismissal of /DRG ignores the reality that at certain levels, /DRG will add more to damage output than /WAR. This is to mention nothing of /PUP.

While I or others can raise those kind of objections by posting a reply, they will likely never be address within the guide--the first post.

So, what is the policy on stickies--or, to be more blunt, what is the point of sticky'ing outdated, no longer maintained, and possibly misleading guides? How does that help the users of Dreams in Vana'diel?

Wouldn't it be much better to let such posts slide out of sight, as their relevancy fades with time?
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Re: Sticky policy?

There isn't one. We stick useful posts as we see them, but maintaining them is not, so far as I know, part of anyone's moderation routine. You're probably right that some kind of audit is in order.

As for your example, I destickied it. The only way to address the problem of updated information being kept up front is for an active user to take on the responsibility of maintaining a new guide.
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Re: Sticky policy?

We do occasionally un-sticky posts as they become outdated or irrelevant. Usually we only do so when we have a viable updated version, however.

If there are corrections that need to be made to an existing sticky, or if you feel that a particular sticky post is so outdated as to be beyond salvage, PM me or any of the other active moderators (Jei, neighbortaru, Taskmage, Caspian, Macht, Pai Pai Master) and we'll review/discuss and either fix or drop the sticky.

Icemage

FFXIOnline Forum Super Moderator

Comment

Working...
      X