Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: General Discussion

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
    Actually the buff comment was aimed at calling out Yyg on giving you a free pass on retroactively declaring cast spells
    I'm not trying to harp on this, but I have never retroactively declared a cast spell. Whenever i cast a spell i declare it prior to us getting involved in a fight.

ie. We see a clearing around the corner and here goblinoid noises.
    EAW: I cast gravity bow
    (it gets cast in a normal round)
    EAW: I cast Heroism
    (it gets cast in a normal round)
    We decide to enter the room and fight.

This is how my casting has gone down. I cast before we've decided on entering or which order we are going in on. I have never "retroactively declared a cast spell" I have proactively cast a spell prior to initiative rolls. Maybe that's where your confused, the difference between proactively and retroactively. ???
    75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
    RANK 10 Bastok
    CoP: Done
    ZM: Done
    ToA: Done
    Assault rank: Captain
    Campaign Medal: Medals
    Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
    This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

I found out this weekend that my local comic shop is going to start hosting a Pathfinder Night once a week on Saturdays. I would LOVE to be able to PC in their game for a while (if they're worth playing with). On any of the Saturdays that our group can't meet, I'm going to drop into theirs to see how I like it.

I have rolled up a number of playable ideas that mostly make me laugh. I never powergame my PCs. I always prefer to make him/her memorable and funny.

In prep I have made a Lawful/Good Halfling "Healer" Sorcerer. His Bloodline is Celestial and he is adamantly against offensive magicks. He prefers to take a strictly support role and relys on his dexterity and wits to get him out of any situation that would normally require combat.

I also drafted up a Lawful/Neutral Human "Luchador" Monk. Watching Armando have al the fun just seemed irresistable. I've named him El Pulpo Blanco... which should loosely translate into "The White Squid"... if not... it still sounds cool and I'm running with it. I can't wait to exploit my newly expanded knowledge of Grapple Rules on whatever hapless DM is unfortunate enough to get my at his table.

I'll update you guys after I have my trial run with them on Saturday. I'm not sure which character to run with... or if I want to scrap them both and just make a Female Half-Orc Rogue in the most ridiculously stealthy and ironic way I can.

We'll see...

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
      99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
      99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Yygdrasil
        which should loosely translate into "The White Squid"...
        The White Octopus, actually; squid would be "Calamar", but that doesn't sound as cool. Maybe you should explore that theme more and dump points into stealth? Octopi are damned good at camouflage.

Comment

It's decided. I'm going with El Pulpo Blanco... just because it's such a good inside joke with us already. At least this this way I'll be able to share all the fun stories with you guys after every session.

@Armando: I'll totally look into the stealth option. I'm just not sure how well it'll mesh with a Lawful character. What kind of lawful monk hides?

Comment

Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
            I'm just not sure how well it'll mesh with a Lawful character. What kind of lawful monk hides?
            If Cid was playing it, he'd find a way...
            RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

Half Orc Rogues actually work surprisingly well since you can Power Attack Sneak Attack with a fucking GREATAXE in Pathfinder.

You can act like Warhammer Orcs for Stealth if you want: Wear bright Purple ('Cuz wen woz da last tim ya saw an army wearin' purple ya git?") and kill everything before they have the chance to see you or call for help.

As for a stealthy lawful person, it works perfectly fine. Assassins can easily be Lawful Neutral remember, just because you have a code (be is a code of honour or a personal creed you live by) doesn't mean you can't be a sneaky bastard.

And I need to say this: for the love of god alignment does not make your character. In our campaign I've taken plenty of actions that aren't chaotic or good because it would be what the character would have done strictly at that time. Seriously any time I see someone who says "I'm [alignment] so I HAVE to X" I feel like smacking them until they learn the definition of "creativity".
              Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
              Reiko Takahashi
              - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
              Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

And I need to say this: for the love of god alignment does not make your character. In our campaign I've taken plenty of actions that aren't chaotic or good because it would be what the character would have done strictly at that time. Seriously any time I see someone who says "I'm [alignment] so I HAVE to X" I feel like smacking them until they learn the definition of "creativity".
                Dude... alignment IS your character's personality. The point of the game isn't to continually justify your actions by creating loopholes in logic that allow you to do whatever you want. The point is to play as the character you chose. If you don't want to take chaotic good actions, you shouldn't be a chaotic good character. If you want to justify doing fuck all then you should have picked True Neutral.

There's only so much room for stretching the boundaries of your alignment in a game. One such example is the Paladin who is confronted with a possessed villager holding a knife to the throat of another villager and saying "Kill me or I kill her". Neither Choice is Lawful Good... but total inaction is even worse. In such a scenario, there is justification to kill one of them if no other recourse is available... but it would come with a heavy weight on the character's conscience from that point forward... likely driving them to seek forgiveness.

IMHO, Chaotic/Good, Chaotic Neutral and True Neutral are nothing but cop-out alignments for players who do not want to have limitations to their actions.

Breaking the confines of your alignment does not constitute "Creativity", Fire. Creativity is finding a means to the same end while staying in character and true to your alignment.

- - - Updated - - -

Also:
                Half Orc Rogues actually work surprisingly well since you can Power Attack Sneak Attack with a fucking GREATAXE in Pathfinder.
                You're absolutely right. That is a fantastic combination for someone who cares for nothing but being the strongest possible thing they can create.

Comment

Dude... alignment IS your character's personality.
                  I'd say it's more a reflection of your character's personality. It's a subtle but important distinction.
                  Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                  Name: Drjones
                  Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Are you an idiot? Look up my old posts on alignment and you're basically posting exactly what I've been arguing about treating alignment. Stop trying to create an argument where there is none with people who already agreed with you.
                    Reiko Takahashi
                    Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

If you want to justify doing fuck all then you should have picked True Neutral.
                      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                      Name: Drjones
                      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

I might be an idiot... but there is one thing I am not sir... and that... is an idiot.

Comment

Are you an idiot?
                          yes he is, I've proven this multiple times.

Stop trying to create an argument where there is none with people who already agreed with you.
                          Yyg loves trying to do this. Sometimes he'll take just one sentence out of an entire post, skew the meaning of the sentence to something totally different just so he can be at odds with it, and then make an arguement against something no one gives an F about.
                          RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

Actually the Greataxe comment was more the sheer hilarity of the mental image Sneak Attacking with a weapon like that conjures. As someone who plays Rogues quite often, finding amusing things to sneak attack with is something I like to do. It's the reason why I begged the group to let me Coup de Grace the Golem (or was it a Gargoyle?) way back with a hammer.

In college I was in a campaign with someone who tried to Sneak Attack with a ballista. Emphasis on "tried", the DM did manage to stop laughing at him for long enough to tell him there's no way in hell he's allowing that.
                            Reiko Takahashi
                            Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

I'm the only non-thief that can sneak attack. Remember when I sneak attacked Lily with my junk?

~EAW
                              RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

I would have gone with sneak attacking Adam's character but whatever works I guess.
                                Reiko Takahashi
                                Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Working...
                                X