RIP Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."--Mr. Satoru Iwata

To say that he will be missed is quite an understatement. Leave it to liver cancer to take away somebody who brought so much joy, directly into the world, so suddenly. To spite it, I pray that that joy outlives that cancer.

The above quote could not be any more a fitting representation of his character, either. To call him a CEO would almost be an insult--what other CEOs halve their own personal paychecks when their company failed to meet fiscal projections, instead of laying off anybody? And, indeed, the man was a programming legend, even while in good company at Nintendo. Who else could single-handedly throw the game we know as Earthbound together effectively from scratch and jam two continents onto a cartridge that Game Freak could only fit one, amid myriad other technical feats?

The least we can do is try to understand.

Nintendo means "Leave Luck to Heaven." Heaven just got very lucky.

May he rest in peace and continue programming to his heart's content.

Here is a great video to remember him by, especially for fans of his game Balloon Fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63mG4k-VIyY

ADD: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150713e.pdf Citation for anybody who was in as much stunned disbelief as I initially was at this news.
    Last edited by Yellow Mage; 07-12-2015, 11:23 PM.
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Originally posted by Armando
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Re: RIP Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015

Here's my favorite of Iwata.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gj3fwoQl8o
    Heavensward Stats - Main Story: Cleared | Alexander Normal: 4/4 | Alexander: Savage 0/4 | Relic: Last Resort (Scholar) | Mahatma: 2/12

Comment

RIP

Condolences to his family, friends, coworkers, and fans.

Icemage

Comment

Even if I've not been a fan of Nintendo first party games for a sometime now, I have to recognize the company's outsized, unique, and positive contribution to the industry, and Iwata's role in making it so.

Fifty-five is too soon for a good man to go. I hope the outpouring of condolences from around the globe will bring some measure of solace to his family.
        Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 07-14-2015, 10:36 AM.
        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

It's sad how I only learn of these people's tremendous accomplishments after they pass.

Godspeed you magnificent gamer.
          Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
          Name: Drjones
          Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Working...
          X