Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action RPG Drakengard 3 ( Dragon-on Dragoon 3 ) is being localized for PS3

Oh mew this is interesting!!

LOS ANGELES (Oct. 9, 2013) – Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in the Americas, today announced that its action (RPG) Drakengard®3 will be coming to the Americas exclusively for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

A prequel to the original Drakengard, Drakengard 3 transports players to a medieval world where six goddess-like sisters known as “Intoners” have brought peace to the earth with their power to manipulate magic through song. Harmony is disrupted, however, when the eldest sister, Zero, attempts to murder her younger sisters with the help of her dragon companion, Mikhail. As the story progresses, players find themselves in a battle to unravel the mystery of Zero and learn her true intentions.

Featuring the series’ signature brand of action, Drakengard 3 pits players against hordes of fiends and foes in remorseless hack-and-slash ground combat, and then sends them soaring for pitched aerial battles on the back of Mikhail.

Drakengard 3 will be available for $49.99 next year on the PlayStation®3 system and for digital download on the PlayStation®Network and the Square Enix Online Store. Starting today, players can pre-order the game at the Square Enix Online Store.

Re: Action RPG Drakengard 3 ( Dragon-on Dragoon 3 ) is being localized for PS3

I would be excited, given I love this series and own 1 & 2 except;

1) No one asked for a prequel, much more interested in seeing what comes after 2's insane ending

2) It's on PS3, even though it's a 2014 title. Boo!

3) Trailer was AWFUL.

4) No Caim
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Well, if it's any consolation, the events of Drakengard 2 apparently led to the events of Nier.

Comment

o_O really? (never played nier)
        sigpic

Comment

PS3 is still getting stronger, mew. PS4 has yet to take babysteps. While Drakengard 3 would get better graphics on PS4, for a 1st gen game it wouldn't make as much money compared to PS3 market, mew. People assume that everyone is moving to PS4 day one, but actually PS4 isn't going to interest the majority until it's matured a bit and gets a price drop or two. Plus the lack of backward compatibility as well as rumored fee to play online, doesn't make PS4 as friendly and advantageous like the PS3. Besides they could remake Drakengard 3 with better graphics later on PS4.

Drakengard 3 | Coming 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
            o_O really? (never played nier)
            It's not too bad to be fair. It should be pretty cheap now.
            Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
            Reiko Takahashi
            - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
            Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

I've heard good things about Nier presentation-wise, though I understand the controls are a bit clunky. I'm kind of surprised that with the small cult status it achieved that Nier Replicant never came stateside.

Though I don't think Mal has the maturity level required for some of the subject matter in there, just based on some posts that got nuked by moderation in the past.

Comment

quiet you.

And I saw it at Gamestop a while back for like $4. Might pick it up next time.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                  I've heard good things about Nier presentation-wise, though I understand the controls are a bit clunky. I'm kind of surprised that with the small cult status it achieved that Nier Replicant never came stateside.

Though I don't think Mal has the maturity level required for some of the subject matter in there, just based on some posts that got nuked by moderation in the past.
                  The only difference between Nier Replicant (JP) and Nier (NA/EU) is that the main protagonist is the brother instead of the father of the young girl you're trying to save. Personally, I think the Western version is superior, as the storyline holds together better from the viewpoint of a father rather than a brother.

As for presentation, Nier is one of the ugliest games released in this generation. That's not why people love it. It has solid gameplay, and some truly outstanding voice acting and writing.

P.S. Warning to those wanting to find out more about Drakengard 3, the male characters in the game are largely the harem of the main character. She apparently gets "frisky" after battle and so keeps them around to address that problem, and it's very likely that doing a random Google search will lead you very swiftly to a Rule 34 situation. Don't say no one warned you.

Icemage

Comment

New info found, mew.

Drakengard 3 Producer: As Long As They Have Taro Yoko, Square Enix Can Make More Drakengard - Siliconera

""Speaking of Access, how did they become involved to develop Drakengard 3," I asked. Shiba had a surprisingly candid reply.

"They’re just really good at creating action games," Shiba said of Access Games. "And… this might seem odd coming from the creator himself, but Drakengard was known for the story, but the action wasn’t very good. It was not as strong.So we really wanted to have a studio that’s known for action, for it to be their strength. Why is why we asked them to join the team."

"Cavia wasn’t very experienced… they never really created action-based games before. Whereas specific studios specialize in creating action games… it’s a difficult skill to have. You really have to be experienced in it,"
                    Gamekyo : Drakengard 3 : nouvelles images

Drakengard 3 was developed with 'mature JRPG players' in mind, says director | Polygon

Previous Drakengard games have also been criticized for their mature themes — the original game included an incest plot and a character who liked to eat children. Drakengard 3 is rated M, and previous games have had some of this less kid-friendly content removed for their North American releases. Shiba said he realizes this might be an issue this time around as well, but the game is targeted at mature gamers who are familiar with Japanese role-playing games — criticisms outside of this target audience are just that, outside criticism.
                    "We may keep the game as-is, with the exception of the dialogue — we may make some tweaks [for the North American version]. Our core users — mature JRPG players — want something authentic, they don't want any changes. As long as we don't upset our PR and Marketing teams or our European audience, we want to keep it authentic.

It has been a problem in Japan before, too; it's been criticized every time. We're intentional with our content. This is a unique franchise that has a dedicated audience because of what it is. We wanted to keep it close to what it's supposed to be.

We're aware that North America also tends to be sensitive, but again: we have to keep it authentic. That's what fans want."
                    Shiba added that if Drakengard 3 is successful, it could open doors for other JRPGs series in Square Enix's back catalogue. One in particular stood out in my mind: the underrated Valkyrie Profile series. Shiba, who worked on the games, said that even though the core market of JRPG players may be shrinking, it's not impossible to think we could see another Valkyrie Profile if the audience remains loyal to the genre — and vocal.

"The size of the market is shrinking but the cost of development is growing; it's hard to create a game just for JRPG audiences," he said. "But if Drakengard 3 is successful, the possibilities may open. Personally speaking, I would love to explore that."

Comment

They'd better not censor it. I was rather fond of how dark 1 & 2 were.

Still, no Caim makes me sad (not that'd be around anyway.)
                      sigpic

Comment

Super late to the party but now that the thread's been necro'd I might as well dump this here:
                        Re: Nier

Comment

Here is another new series of information, mew. "Famitsu team already played the sample version of DOD3. Here's the translation of their impression about it:
                          original post including new screenshots: Grimoire Azure, Famitsu’s journalists already played the Drag-On...

The game is basically have more action feels in it,
                          the speed, combat, and bloodsplats. The battle
                          strategy is about how you change and use the 4
                          types of weapons wisely to maximize the damage.
                          The normal game stage could be completed for
                          about 20-30 minutes if you’re ignoring some
                          useless combat and focus only on the missions.
                          Utautai mode is also an effective weapon. Zero’s
                          strength increased significantly. The story so far is
                          really enjoyable too. It seems DOD3 is more user-
                          friendly than its predecessors. "

original article:
                          ex.famitsu.com/dod3/2013/12/05/62/

Comment

Famitsu Review, mew.

Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1306 - Gematsu

Comment

Working...
                            X