Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 44% of people buy software? (news!)

56% of console gamers don't pay for games - Study - News at GameSpot

Newzoo findings indicate only about 44% of consumers spend money on software; 85% also buy preowned.

Publishers have devised a number of clever ways to eke as much money out of gamers through digital sales as they can, ranging from online passes for online modes to season passes for downloadable content. A new study from market-research firm Newzoo that tracks DLC, preowned sales, and digital distribution offers one explanation why.

The good news? DLC revenues are on the rise.

According to Newzoo's findings, of the 82 million Americans who say they play console games, only about 36 million of them, or 44 percent, buy games at all. Instead, Newzoo found that games are more often than not shared between families or groups of friends.

Newzoo's study also found that of those Americans who do spend money on PC and console games, 85 percent also pick up preowned games. For 25 percent of game buyers, at least half of their budgets go toward secondhand purchases, according to Newzoo. On average, US gamers spend about 23 percent of their gaming budget on used software.

As noted by Newzoo and others, the secondhand issue is a boon to retailers but problematic for game makers, as publishers see no revenue from used sales.

The upside, the study notes, is that revenue generated from DLC sales on consoles and downloadable PC/Mac games is steadily growing. Newzoo found that downloadable PC/Mac game sales in 2011 have already surpassed boxed sales in 2010 in the US."

Oh mew what does this mean? A rise in piracy or used sales?

Re: 44% of people buy software? (news!)

Originally posted by jenova_9 View Post
    Oh mew what does this mean? A rise in piracy or used sales?
    No, it means this:

Instead, Newzoo found that games are more often than not shared between families or groups of friends.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

and this:

is that revenue generated from DLC sales on consoles and downloadable PC/Mac games is steadily growing
    99 DNC
    99 WHM
    99 WAR
    * 99 THF
    99 BLM * 99 RDM *
    99 PUP

TWASHTAR

Comment

In countries like mine piracy is the ONLY option a lot of gamers have to get console games because not only many games don't make it here at all, but region restrictions actually punish you for trying to import an original copy from the US or somewhere else.

Not to mention the simple act of importing will increase the price of any game from 50% to 100% more than the retail price in the US.

WalMart does bring some games at a relatively decent price, but the selection is laughable to say the least.

On the other hand Steam needs way more advertisement here. Although it seems it's gaining ground among PC gamers even with no adverts whatsoever.
      sigpic
      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

This is why we can't have nice things.

Icemage

Comment

So in other words, this statistic is related to the fact that only 40% of people who eat in my home ever buy food. This information is useless.
          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

ITT: Taskmage's children are guilty of food piracy.

Comment

Content developers: People are sitting down on the couch together and enjoying a product that only one of them has paid for. This is cutting into our potential sales. How can we get a family of five to buy five copies of the same product?
              George Lucas: Sup, guys.
              lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                So in other words, this statistic is related to the fact that only 40% of people who eat in my home ever buy food. This information is useless.
                I agree that this information is useless and they should've rephrased the question to:

"Do you own a console?"

"As a console owner, do you purchase games?"

Comment

Maybe companies like Capcom should take this as a sign to stop witholdding and charging premiums for content that's already on tjhe disc.

Or Activision charging 1/4 retail price for less than 1/10th of the original retail product's content/value?
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I just hope this doesn't lead to some bullshit like games with serial numbers (already starting with online passes) and such.

Not only is it punishing the people that actually buy the game, it gives people more reasons to take the modding/hacking route to get games.

Like how Spore's SecuROM was made in a way that only made it installable 3 times and that just made people go "I'm not paying to get screwed over but I still want to play the game. Solution: Torrent it"

EA games is notorious for pulling stupid stunts like this, I just hope that it doesn't catch on and become the standard.

Comment

Working...
                    X