Gamestop no likey OnLive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamestop no likey OnLive

GameStop intentionally removing Deus Ex OnLive coupons from retail PC copies | Joystiq

:3

Re: Gamestop no likey OnLive

Always shady. They never had a legitimate definition for used, so I guess it shouldn't surprise anybody.

Comment

and I can tell you my Manager did not do this, he never opens PC games for any reason what so ever.

although to be honest, that OnLive service sucks really bad.......
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Absentia View Post
        Joystiq is currently investigating the issue, including the possible legal implications of tampering with a product and selling it as new.
        As if this has ever stopped gamestop before.

On the other hand, any scandal that brings legal troubles upon them, I am all for. America needs a gaming retailer that doesn't suck ass, and GameStop has the market saturated.

Comment

People not knowing what is going on again, sad it is Joystiq.....

GameStop statement:
          Regarding the Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Codes: We don't make a habit of promoting competitive services without a formal partnership. Square Enix packed the competitor's coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull these coupons. While the new products may be opened, we fully guarantee the condition of the discs to be new. If you find this to not be the case, please contact the store where the game was purchased and they will further assist.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
            People not knowing what is going on again, sad it is Joystiq.....

GameStop statement:
            Regarding the Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Codes: We don't make a habit of promoting competitive services without a formal partnership. Square Enix packed the competitor's coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull these coupons. While the new products may be opened, we fully guarantee the condition of the discs to be new. If you find this to not be the case, please contact the store where the game was purchased and they will further assist.
            Yeah, tell that to someone who wanted an unopened Deus Ex: HR Collector's Edition for collection's sake.

Shady business practice is shady.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
              Yeah, tell that to someone who wanted an unopened Deus Ex: HR Collector's Edition for collection's sake.

Shady business practice is shady.

Icemage
              they dont have to buy it at Game Stop , go to Walmart, Target, Toy's R US, HEB Plus.

and it even said that the customer could pretty much return it if they had a problem.

"While the new products may be opened, we fully guarantee the condition of the discs to be new. If you find this to not be the case, please contact the store where the game was purchased and they will further assist. "

It is not "shady" because they are not hiding that they are doing it.

Comment

Butthurt Gamestop is funny. Are we sure EA didn't buy them?
                sigpic
                "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

they dont have to buy it at Game Stop , go to Walmart, Target, Toy's R US, HEB Plus.

and it even said that the customer could pretty much return it if they had a problem.

"While the new products may be opened, we fully guarantee the condition of the discs to be new. If you find this to not be the case, please contact the store where the game was purchased and they will further assist. "

It is not "shady" because they are not hiding that they are doing it.
                  Yeah, because the person who pre-ordered a Collector's Edition is going to be so thrilled to try and track down another one after release date because some corporate suits couldn't find their ass with both hands?

I don't normally have a problem with GameStop, but this particular action is indefensible. For products that instantly lose their value the moment they're opened, this practice of gutting new discs is already terrible, and it's a hundred times more terrible when they're removing items from the packaging.

Icemage

Comment

If I come into your bakery to promote my bakery that is called solicitation and It is within your right to ask me to leave. If I don't, it is within your rights to have me removed. This, more or less, is what is happening here. Gamestop is not allowing another storefront on their turf and they did the same to Steam and Steam did the same thing to EA with Mass Effect 2 and the Dragon Age games recently. Steam has a rule about the solicitation of other services that aren't Steam and what does Cerberus Network and DA:O's in-game content peddler do:

Promote EA's services. Bye-bye.

Same damn thing and I don't see anyone here complaining about when Steam did it. And I don't blame Steam for doing it to EA, I don't blame Gamestop for doing it to Steam and Onlive. I believe Direct2Drive doesn't allow Steam-enabled games on their service, either

So what you guys are really saying here is this: Its only bad when Gamestop does it

Good job!

By the way, if you have a raging hard-on for Star Wars: The Old Republic, you'll be happy to know Origin serves as spyware to check what's on your HDD without your permission. TOR requires Origin, after all. If you want to get your panties in a wad about something, I'd get them in a wad about that. I remember the fuss when SE tried it with FFXI.

It doesn't surprise me at all because EA does those Big Brother-esque file checks every time I boot up DA:O.
                    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 08-24-2011, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                      If I come into your bakery to promote my bakery that is called solicitation and It is within your right to ask me to leave. If I don't, it is within your rights to have me removed. This, more or less, is what is happening here.
                      I don't have a problem with GameStop having a problem with the OnLive voucher. I do have a problem with whatever idiot thought putting the voucher in the packaging would be a good idea. And I also have a problem with the other idiot who thought that it would be ethical to gut sealed copies to remove the voucher instead of sending the inappropriate product back to the supplier.

GameStop should have immediately recalled product, and Square-Enix owes them a ginormous apology for pissing off their customers. Had they done that from the beginning, or found some other solution that didn't immediately make it impossible for the customer to return the product if they were unhappy with the situation, I think that would have been OK.

But they didn't, and therefore they get blamed - because they deserve at least part of the blame for bad decision-making.

Icemage

Comment

People have a problem with having their new games opened and contents stolen, then repackaged and sold as new (which they indeed do all the time from what I hear.)

Gamestop doesn't like the contents in box? Fine, then they just have to send them all back and request for coupon-less versions from the publisher, and then advertise them as such.

"Gamestop exclusive version! No OnLive coupon inside! Yay!" Would be a nice campaign if you ask me.

Worst part is this is actually giving OnLive waaaay more publicity than it would've gotten from the coupon. As most people buying the boxed version would just ignore the cloud offering anyway, me thinks.
                        sigpic
                        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                          I don't have a problem with GameStop having a problem with the OnLive voucher. I do have a problem with whatever idiot thought putting the voucher in the packaging would be a good idea. And I also have a problem with the other idiot who thought that it would be ethical to gut sealed copies to remove the voucher instead of sending the inappropriate product back to the supplier.

GameStop should have immediately recalled product, and Square-Enix owes them a ginormous apology for pissing off their customers. Had they done that from the beginning, or found some other solution that didn't immediately make it impossible for the customer to return the product if they were unhappy with the situation, I think that would have been OK.

But they didn't, and therefore they get blamed - because they deserve at least part of the blame for bad decision-making.

Icemage

*points at this again*

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                            If I come into your bakery to promote my bakery that is called solicitation and It is within your right to ask me to leave.
                            Better analogy; if a bag of chips has a Target coupon in it, it's well within Wal-Mart's right to not sell that bag of chips. It is not within their rights to open the box, fish around in it, and pull it out.

Comment

*points at this again*

You're still missing the point. Any software box that has been open = used, in The World According to GameStop. Walk into any GameStop on the planet with an opened box of any software with the receipt and see if they'll take it as a return instead of as a used trade.

Double standards ahoy!

Icemage

Comment

Working...
                              X