Recommend a game for me on the PS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a game for me on the PS3?

So I just finished up FFXIII and really enjoyed it. There still alot to do in the game, but to me its kind of a buzz kill to have beaten the game,and then try and run around finding new mobs to kill or whatever. I beat it, im done. That being said, I'm looking for a new game to play on the ps3 and would really like the input from you guys. Games I've played in the past and thoroughly enjoyed:

1. baldurs gate series
    2. neverwinter nights 1 (i couldnt get into 2 for some reason)
    3. final fantasy series
    4. hitman 2

Yeah, my gaming experience is pretty weak... Mainly been playing ffxi, and just looking for something to tide me over until ffxiv comes out. I played a bunch of games before the ones listed, but they are so old, they don't have much relevance, (commodore 64, nintendo, sega genesis games)

~Mez
    75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
    RANK 10 Bastok
    CoP: Done
    ZM: Done
    ToA: Done
    Assault rank: Captain
    Campaign Medal: Medals
    Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
    This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

re: Recommend a game for me on the PS3?

No MGS4?

FUmanFU.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
      No MGS4?

FUmanFU.

I'm guessing that's metal gear? I dont like games like that really. I prefer fantasy type games, more d&dish. Only gun game i played and enjoyed was hitman.
      RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

Originally posted by Mezlo View Post
        I dont like games like that really.
        Your entire life is wro--

Originally posted by Mezlo View Post
        Only gun game i played and enjoyed was hitman.

Comment

Well it looks like the style of fantasy games that you like are the realistic type. An anime style game that I enjoyed was Star Ocean and a realistic style one is Elder Scrolls Oblivion. I also liked Cross Edge, Disgaea 3, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon Age Origins, and Folklore (just trying to remember ones I have off the top of my head). From what you said about FF13, I am going to recommend that you stay away from White Knight Chronicles. The game is SUUUUUPER easy to beat and only gets more challenging as you do more of the side quests AFTER you beat it. But you'll have to play game+ mode over and over. It doesn't sound like that's something you would like.
          Originally posted by Feba
          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
          Originally posted by DakAttack
          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Guess I can name a few on top of my head (That haven't already been said) (Oh snap rhymes).

Demon's Souls
            I hear this game is hard... like, throw-controller-into-wall-with-enough-force-to-make-a-hole-in-it-hard. It's medieval-times with some fantasy thrown in, due to the whole spirit concept of it. Can't say much else, never played it.

God of War III
            ...Would this be considered fantasy? I'm not sure. Word of warning, if you're uneasy around blood, don't buy this game. Blood and gore at it's finest! It's mostly a hack-and-slash though. Probably not to your fancy.

Non-fantasy, erm, can look at Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2.

I know you don't like gun games, but you should really look into Red Dead Redemption. It's a old western type of sandbox game from the creators of GTA, coming out in May 18th. Gonna be great! Though honestly, getting it for 360. My PS3 has been kind of collecting dust.
            Originally posted by Yygdrasil
            Originally posted by Nandito
            Ponies.

Duh.
            You make me want to hurt things.

Comment

Valkyria Chronicles or gtfo.
              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

MGS series.
                A mans strength isn't measured by the size of his muscle, but by the size of his heart.

it's better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass.

R.I.P. Dura's Moms Hard Drive. 2002-2009 Gone, but not forgotten.

Your family must havehad a hen farm growin', up cause you sure know how to raise a cock

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                  I am going to recommend that you stay away from White Knight Chronicles. The game is SUUUUUPER easy to beat and only gets more challenging as you do more of the side quests AFTER you beat it. But you'll have to play game+ mode over and over. It doesn't sound like that's something you would like.
                  If you're playing WKC for it's story mode, you're playing the wrong game...from my experiences anyway. The story and single player aspects are terribad at bests, but the game play, customization and online aspects are great. It's like a medieval, fantasy, free version of PSU. The gameplay also seems to be very similar to how XIV is said to work, so it's a good stepping stone towards getting used to what XIV will be like.

Originally posted by Nandito View Post
                  Demon's Souls
                  I hear this game is hard... like, throw-controller-into-wall-with-enough-force-to-make-a-hole-in-it-hard. It's medieval-times with some fantasy thrown in, due to the whole spirit concept of it. Can't say much else, never played it.
                  I personally think Demon's Souls is an incredible game. But the same reasons I love it are the same reasons people hate it. The game is NOT forgiving, it will punish you, batter you, crush your hopes, dreams and spirit...and then invite you back for more only to do it all over again. Much like how FFXI was un-apologetically brutal way back when this game is much the same. However, it's not cheap in it's difficulty, just cruel.

But much like WKC, it's online aspects, though much different, are a major part of the game's experience. Gameplay and character creation/customization are both upper scale, and for those willing to invest the time, patience and effort to really get into it will find the game much deeper then it first appears. However, if all you care about is beating it and forgetting it, it might not be the best game for you.

Now I could also list a dozen other great PS3 games, but none are really fantasyish RPGs, so I doubt you'd play them. But with such a narrow scope to work with, there's really not many options out there.

Also this topic is fairly misleading, as you're not really looking for the 'best game on the PS3', you're looking for a specific type of game on the PS3.
                  "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Nandito View Post
                    Demon's Souls
                    I have Demon's Souls, and yes, it is controller-throwingly difficult. Awesome game, but leave your ego at the door.

My recommendation based on the list given would be:

Dragon Age: Origins / Awakening (Awakening is the re-release)
                    This is the closest thing you'll find to Baldur's Gate on a console, IMO.

(Oh, and topic edited to reflect the actual request to avoid people arguing over it.)

Icemage

Comment

Re: Recommend a game for me on the PS3?

I've been told that God of War III and Uncharted 2 are the best games on the system, so maybe try out those?

I've had a grand time with Heavy Rain. Played nothing else for near 3 solid weeks. ^^'

Comment

Oblivion- you can get this super cheap.
                        Dragon Age Origins
                        Thanks Kazuki.
                        Dragoon Equipment

Comment

To put it bluntly, if you like fantasy-themed RPGs...

Sorry, you have a PS3.

Seems more and more that Wii, DS and PSP are more capable of scratching that itch. PS3 got a little sampler tray of them in March, but I wouldn't expect more traditional RPGs for a while there.

Demon's Souls, FFXIII and Resonance of Fate are all good. Maybe 3D Dot Heroes next month as well, but its more of a cute tribute to Dragon Quest and Zelda, 8-Bit fantasy in 3D, dunno if that's really an RPG, but there's a lot of customizing you can do to it, which is cool. I would buy all those for PS3 were I to get one right now.

Nothing remarkable about Dragon Age if we're approaching it in terms of Baulder's Gate and NWN because those were more Black Isle's games than Bioware's. Its not the same when its Bioware left to their own devices. Its got a good story and romance, though.

Oblivion, eh, its Bethesda, which means you're better off picking it up for the PC since that's the only audience they genuinely give a damn about. Plus its the only way to play a stable version of the game since users end up fixing everything that's wrong with what Bethesda leaves in there.

Not kidding about that, either. If you're going to get a Bethesda game on a console, you're just wasting your time. Its cheaper now, sure, but you're still playing for something that was left in a beta build. Get it off Steam and get the user mods.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                            Disgaea 3
                            19.99 @ gamestop
                            {New Sig in the works}
                            -----------------------
                            "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                            "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                            Originally posted by Solymir
                            What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm going to look into dragon age, demon souls, and GoW2.
                              RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

Working...
                              X