OS on PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS on PS3

STARDUST----- Hey, I have been thinking about putting some kind of operating system on my playstation 3 but just havent really looked into it all that much. I have been reading about Linux Yelow Dog 6.1. It seems really smooth. I dont know how much space you need to allot for it to download and install correctly, but it really seems like its the real deal, beside for the space on the hard drive that it takes. They have some movies out on how it changes your ps3 into some kind of super computer. I dont really get what they were trying to say but I know mine goes really slow when I got web searching on the default os. I just bought a new keyboard for it and that seems to help the search times but really not all that much. I was thinking that if I just used another operating system it might run faster or something like that. Also has anyone heard of window vista 64-bit working on a ps3? Does anyone know more about this?

Re: OS on PS3

Ya I have Ubuntu 8.10 on my PS3. It's really not that hard, the most important thing is backing up your PS3 system files. I'm sure there is a guide somewhere out on the net that can guide you through it. Go google Ubuntu and PS3 and see what comes up.
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

There is a video on youtube of Vista 32Bit running on PS3, but it said that it took 25 mins for Vista to load. So I can't imagine 64 bit loading any faster than that. Linux would probably be the best bet.
      {New Sig in the works}
      -----------------------
      "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
      "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
      Originally posted by Solymir
      What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Originally posted by Stardust View Post
        it changes your ps3 into some kind of super computer
        No just a regular PowerPC computer running Linux. Apple's PowerMac G5's probably work faster if you wanted a PowerPC machine.
        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
          There is a video on youtube of Vista 32Bit running on PS3, but it said that it took 25 mins for Vista to load.
          Just a guess, but since the PS3's Cell doesn't even remotely resemble an x86 processor, Vista was most likely running on a virtual machine. The stunt was probably pulled off by first loading Linux onto the PS3, then loading up Vista under some sort of PC emulator. In which case you can expect performance to be pretty terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy View Post
            Just a guess, but since the PS3's Cell doesn't even remotely resemble an x86 processor, Vista was most likely running on a virtual machine. The stunt was probably pulled off by first loading Linux onto the PS3, then loading up Vista under some sort of PC emulator. In which case you can expect performance to be pretty terrible.
            Actually that is correct but since I didn't have the video in front of me I didn't want to take guesses as to what Linux OS or what Emulator it was.
            {New Sig in the works}
            -----------------------
            "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

"Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.

Comment

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
              as to what Linux OS it was.
              Which is actually an irrelevant detail.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

yeah, the PS3 on linux isn't very incredible. last I checked, nobody had really started to optimize anything for the cell CPU, and the RSX GPU is locked out. For that matter, I'm not sure if the cell's SPEs are usable either.

It's not bad if you want a basic PC hooked up to your TV, but don't expect anything amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post

It's not bad if you want a basic PC hooked up to your TV, but don't expect anything amazing.
                  I disagree about it not being amazing. I totally love it and it impresses anyone that I show it to. I'm able to use VLC on it and watch videos, I have emulation software so I don't have to pay f**king Nintendo for games I already own, and I now use it to listen to my MP3 collection in my living room. I think thats pretty amazing for a console system.
                  But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                  God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                  ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                    I disagree about it not being amazing. I totally love it and it impresses anyone that I show it to. I'm able to use VLC on it and watch videos, I have emulation software so I don't have to pay f**king Nintendo for games I already own, and I now use it to listen to my MP3 collection in my living room. I think thats pretty amazing for a console system.
                    None of that is all that amazing and is something pretty much any low end computer can do. Linux makes very little use of what makes the PS3 special hardware.

I can do all that with my Xbox.

loose

Comment

For that matter, I have a PC that's 6-8 years old doing the same job.

It's useful, certainly. But the speed of the hardware (which is what I was referring to) and the features aren't that far out there. Anything it can do could be done by any computer pretty much off the shelf. It could be nice to have, I personally love piping music and videos directly from my PC into my stereo, but it's just not amazing.

Actually, you could do all of that on a PSP, for that matter. Nice, but it's not going to be your next Crysis rig or anything.

Comment

Hence why I said "for a console system". Since this thread is about the PS3, thats the console I'm addressing and not the 360.

Yes a PC can do that and we all know it but thats not what this thread is about. It's about a console system, something that people don't usually think has those abilities.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the PS3 can play music and videos in its default OS, the Wii's Photo channel can, the PSP can, I wouldn't be surprised if the 360 did too. I'm not familiar with the original Xbox, but it probably could at least do music, and the PS2 could do DVD and almost certainly CDs.

People might not think to use their consoles for that, but I don't think people are really that amazed by it.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                            I'm pretty sure that the PS3 can play music and videos in its default OS, the Wii's Photo channel can, the PSP can, I wouldn't be surprised if the 360 did too. I'm not familiar with the original Xbox, but it probably could at least do music, and the PS2 could do DVD and almost certainly CDs.

People might not think to use their consoles for that, but I don't think people are really that amazed by it.
                            The Original Xbox could do custom soundtracks ripped music, and play cds. It could also do DVDs if you bought the special attachment w/ remote for it. I somehow lost the remote so after that it was no more good, so I usually just used the PS2 for DVDs.
                            {New Sig in the works}
                            -----------------------

Comment

XBMC Media Center for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux

Softmod Xbox.

loose

Comment

Working...
                              X