Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Demon's Souls," An Epic JRPG That Shockingly Lacks Androgynous Males and Zippers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Demon's Souls," An Epic JRPG That Shockingly Lacks Androgynous Males and Zippers

A couple days ago, a lone PS3 title was lost in the flurry of excellent Wii and DS announcements in this week's Famitsu.

The title is called Demon's Souls, and is developed by From Software, specifically the director of Armored Core 4 and Armored Core 4Answer.

If you're a fan of the obscure and under-rated From Software JRPG King's Field for the original PlayStation, you'll be glad to hear that Sony actually approached the team and asked them for a new RPG, citing King's Field as an example. The result is a next-gen spiritual successor; basically a Japanese ELDER SCROLLS open world adventure.

Visually, it's clear to see influences from Morrowind and Shadow of the Colossus. Though Enchanted Arms was a rough start to From Software's next-gen JRPG debut, garnering heavily mixed reviews, I think this title is worth keeping an eye on. Development is being assisted by SCEJ, so it already looks pretty solid and anything that builds on King's Field is probably gonna be worth checking out.

SCE Japan producer Takeshi Kajii described the game to Famitsu as a spiritual successor to King's Field, the From-developed first-person RPG that first hit it big on the original PlayStation. "I am a fan of From Software, but naturally that also means there are parts of their games I'm not satisfied with, too," he said. "If this was a new King's Field game, there would be areas we wouldn't be able to touch since they're part of the series; working together like this, we can try to make something really new."

Demon's Souls takes place in the kingdom of Boletaria, currently enshrouded in a deep fog thanks to its king inadvertently unleashing an ancient monster from his slumber. You, a nameless hero who you're free to customize Elder Scrolls-style, must penetrate into Boletaria and save the kingdom -- but like many US RPGs these days, the game is slated to be extremely open-ended. "You get only the barest minimum of a goal, and there's nothing forcing you to do anything in the game," Kajii said. "People say to you 'Save the world,' but you can ignore them and keep going if you like."

The way Kajii and From Software director Hidetaka Miyazaki described it, Demon's Souls is a bit of a hybrid -- an RPG that uses the PS3's hardware to the hilt while still retaining the challenge and exploration of traditional role-players. Your hero can use a wide variety of weapons, each of which has different attacks and animations depending on how skillful you are or whether you're using one hand or two, and the game's physics system places natural limits on what's possible in any given tactical situation. "We gave a lot of thought to how to make the fun and charms of a classic RPG interesting all over again with the latest technology at hand," Miyazaki noted. "We figured that doing the things that previous hardware ignored -- having long weapons bump into walls, lighting the area in realtime with the torch in your hand -- would make the game that much more fun. We're taking the things you did through menus in Wizardry and letting you carry them out in real life." (Miyazaki also hinted that while Demon's Souls won't have multiplayer, he would still like to "find a way to use the Internet to make the single-player mode more interesting.
    PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
    Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
    WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
    Currently Playing:
    FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Re: "Demon's Souls," An Epic JRPG That Shockingly Lacks Androgynous Males and Zippers

...go on
    "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Re: "Demon's Souls," An Epic JRPG That Shockingly Lacks Androgynous Males and Zippers

No zippers, no thanks.
      Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

I have to disagree sharply on the visuals comment. It looks far far more like Gears of War, Halo, and Resistance than it does Elder Scrolls or SOTC.

Comment

?

Not saying what you say isn't valid. Naturally the first thing that would come to minds is the misconception of all these games being all "browns and greys," like this one is. In my opinion, some of this creature design and the overall aesthetic shares a lot with Team ICO's games and the Elder Scrolls games.
          Last edited by Pai Pai Master; 10-03-2008, 12:03 PM.
          Rockman - Fairy

Currently Playing:

Comment

Interestingly enough, I think the Halo SS is the worst looking one out of all of those screens. But I can see what Feba is saying. With so many visually impressive games out nowadays, it's just getting harder and harder for them to try and differentiate from each other.
            "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Well, I just pulled random screenshots off google that I thought emphasized the look of each of the games. Maybe that one wasn't the best; Halo 3's a beautiful looking game with some great scenery.

Single screenshots can't really emphasize a game's entire look (Iceland isn't the most colourful R2 level, but it's a good indication on how the game looks...though 1950s America devastated by war shouldn't be all bright blues and oranges), but you can look at individual things like character design and basic aesthetic, which I think is influenced by Elder Scrolls and Shadow of the Colossus, from the gargoyle creature and especially the large flying creature.

Simply going by these screenshots (I look forward to seeing some actual footage so we can judge it more fairly), you can't say this game doesn't share at least something with Oblivion, visually. I think that these games can differentiate from each other, but each has its own specific quality. Except the art in Elder Scrolls isn't particularly special...Halo, Resistance, Gears, Shadow of the Colossus are all great looking games with their own specific artistic design.

Last edited by Pai Pai Master; 10-03-2008, 12:21 PM.
              Rockman - Fairy

Currently Playing:

Comment

Either way, I'm definately interested in learning more about this game, regardless of where the design influence comes from. They won me over with the more realish medevil type theme and setting and not featuring a buncha pretty boys with over done costumes.

Comment

What's this? Armor that looks like it makes sense? No way!

Comment

Well, I mean, the large creatures are somewhat reminiscent of SOTC, but there was so much more to it than that. I'm starting to get pretty annoyed with the whole "Wow, that monster's big. SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS!" meme nowadays.

Better examples, Pai Pai.

RESISTANCE:

COMPARE

AND

-
                    -
                    -

HALO:

AND

(ok, ok, so that's kinda weak, but the last picture monster reminded me of it as well)

-
                    -
                    -
                    GOW:

AND

Gears of War especially. Do a google image search on it, it's hard not to find ones that resemble this game.

And of course Oblivion has SOME things in common; but that's like saying that Mario is like Castlevania because you move left and right as a person and you can jump. There are some things which are of course similar, but that doesn't make them THAT similar.

EDIT: I realize these aren't the BEST examples, but each of those shots reminds me of other shots I've seen of those games. As I'm not a fan and have never played them, those are most likely promotional shots, so hopefully someone else will find or remember them.

Comment

I strongly disagree with all your comparisons (I personally think the flying creature could be pulled straight outta SoTC with the way its designed...and would look very out of place with Halo's design aesthetic...and those skeletons look nothing like the Chimera), but I guess we'll just have to see more of the game. 5 more days to TGS, at least.
                      Rockman - Fairy

Currently Playing:

Comment

I'm not saying "Y looks like a clone of X", I'm saying "Y has far more in common with X than it does with 5."

Comment

I was with you until the From Software part.

Comment

My last two purchases of From Software weren't especially inspiring (Armored Core 4 and Enchanted Arms).

I remain skeptical about this game, despite the pretty visuals, until they can show me some gameplay that makes sense.

Icemage

Comment

Working...
                            X