"Shocking announcement" Coming from SE, FFVII-Related, Probably Dumb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Shocking announcement" Coming from SE, FFVII-Related, Probably Dumb

Tetsuya Nomura's mentioned in a recent interview that a "shocking announcement" is coming from Square Enix next month at its DKΣ3713 Event. He claims that it's related to FINAL FANTASY VII and Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children COMPLETE, which will be one of the focuses of the event. Seeing as how they just made a rather shocking announcement, I'm gonna hold off on the hype until we find out what it is soon. Chances are it's not going to be "shocking" at all, and fairly useless.

To further help prove my point, Shane Bettenhausen of 1up claims that he's been talking with Square Enix reps, and says he's been told that "the FFXIII announcement shifted the ball towards 360; this DKΣ3713 will shift the ball back towards PS3." Considering how none of his dramatic hyperbole actually manifests, I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be anything to look forward to.

Why the hell did I make this thread, then?
    PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
    Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
    WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
    Currently Playing:
    FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Re: "Shocking announcement" Coming from SE, FFVII-Related, Probably Dumb

Even though a small piece of me is going "OMFG YAY YAY YAY!!" because its thinking a rerelease/remake of 7 is coming, the 99% of me is going "big freakin whoop". I just have this feeling they are laughing their asses off over there going "Oh look they think FF7 remake is coming! Let's make an ambiguous comment and drive them crazy! MWAH HA HA!"
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

At the very best, I could see it being FFVII on PSN. At the very worst (maybe not worst, but hilarious), watch it be Advent Children Complete coming to XBL Marketplace.
      Rockman - Fairy

Currently Playing:

Comment

I'm hoping that it's an FF7 remake, but for DS (or MAYBE Wii), just to piss people off.

Comment

Give me a HD makeover of FF7 on PS3 pl0x.

But w/e I've long since learned not to try to second-guess the motives of Square-Enix. They'll say what they want when they're good and ready to, and not a moment sooner.

Icemage

Comment

Seriously how much longer are they going to feed us that BS about the Techo Demo being done just for shits and giggles.

Like how Blizzard fervently denied SC2 for years even though it was really being developed "secretly".
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Hype buildup. Its good for business.
              signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

If they just came out and told us everything, every time in every interview, people would never be excited about anything. We'd just know what games developers were making.

Sometimes a series will go on hiatus for years, like Starcraft, not because developers are mean, heartless bastards that are holding out on you, but because they want to do something different until they have some good ideas for a follow-up.

I mean, god forbid a guy like Nomura, Kojima or Will Wright do new things. No, no, no Spore, go right back to whoring out Sims games, Mr. Wright. No, we want more Final Fantasy VII, you putz Nomura, not The World Ends With You.

Comment

You know, I'd like to get in on this "Shocking announcement" gig. So, without further ado.... 'kitten is gay. Now, now, this came as a complete shock to all of us, even 'kitten. C'mon though, like none of us suspected? I mean just look at the pants on that avatar...

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                  If they just came out and told us everything, every time in every interview, people would never be excited about anything. We'd just know what games developers were making.
                  Public relations is not an either/or proposition. It operates more as a continuum from too much information to too little. Too much info is as you said it, beating us over the head with the concept til we're bored and tired of the whole thing. Too little info and no one cares. S-E likes to err on the side of less information, which while capable of building up information in people who are already fans, doesn't do a whole lot to gain new ones or attract back former fans. To those of us not worshiping at the altar of S-E already, the PR strategy they use looks more like "We haven't had a good idea in a year and a half, so we're going to rehash the old ones that seem to have worked."

Time could've been spent on making a sequel, or adding the kind of world-shattering expansion pack to XI we're kind of overdue for. (Graphical upgrades, engine tweaks, adjustments to Campaign/Conquest/Besieged, promised job fixes, access to Tavnazia's capital, etc). Instead, we're rehashing movies they've already released, and talking about chapters for games we've already played and given up on.

Yeah, this is great fanservice, they've giving the die-hard fanbase what it likes. But, this really isn't the sort of thing that fires anyone's imaginations. Not much new ground to explore, no real earth-shattering changes. XI broke the mold on what a FF title could be, there are still die-hard fans who refuse to admit this even qualifies as an FF. 12 went right back to the formula though, and this isn't that far off it. If you really love everything FF, (to the point of sleeping with the games under your bed, I guess), this is the greatest announcement since they started selling Wonderbread pre-sliced. To the rest of the worlds, it's kind of Meh.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Comment

Originally posted by Kitalrez View Post
                    You know, I'd like to get in on this "Shocking announcement" gig. So, without further ado.... 'kitten is gay. Now, now, this came as a complete shock to all of us, even 'kitten. C'mon though, like none of us suspected? I mean just look at the pants on that avatar...
                    Please try harder.

Public relations is not an either/or proposition. It operates more as a continuum from too much information to too little. Too much info is as you said it, beating us over the head with the concept til we're bored and tired of the whole thing. Too little info and no one cares. S-E likes to err on the side of less information, which while capable of building up information in people who are already fans, doesn't do a whole lot to gain new ones or attract back former fans. To those of us not worshiping at the altar of S-E already, the PR strategy they use looks more like "We haven't had a good idea in a year and a half, so we're going to rehash the old ones that seem to have worked."
                    SE takes a pyramid approach to unveiling information on anything. From teasers to mild information, more fleshed out information to full information. Its the opposite of what the media likes to do, basically, which is give you the most important information first and then fiddle thier way down to lesser information.

12 went right back to the formula though, and this isn't that far off it. If you really love everything FF, (to the point of sleeping with the games under your bed, I guess), this is the greatest announcement since they started selling Wonderbread pre-sliced. To the rest of the worlds, it's kind of Meh.
                    You clearly didn't play FFXII. Not only does it play nothing like any other FF, its completely devoid of romance and its not emo.

Comment

Is Advent Children coming to BD? If the haven't announced it yet, then my money is on that.
                      I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                        Give me a HD makeover of FF7 on PS3 pl0x.
                        Off topic, but who says "pl0x" anymore? Seriously, what is this, 2004?
                        Originally posted by Armando
                        No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                        Originally posted by Armando
                        Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                        GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                        However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                        Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Caspian View Post
                          Is Advent Children coming to BD? If the haven't announced it yet, then my money is on that.
                          Advent Children Complete was announced a long time ago. This announcement coming does have some relation to AC Complete, but we don't know the manner of it.
                          Rockman - Fairy

Currently Playing:

Comment

Ya "Complete" is Blu-Ray. It kind of sounds like they are going to announce something coming with Complete. Everyone is thinking FF7 rerelease/remake but with our luck it will be a soundtrack or a figurine. LOL Maybe it will be FFVII-2!!
                            Originally posted by Feba
                            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                            Originally posted by DakAttack
                            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

LOL Maybe it will be FFVII-2!!
                              I can picture it now - Aerith in hot pants and a gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X