Best retro games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best retro games

For the purposes of this thread, retro is anything before Genesis.

Personally, I haven't played enough to have an opinion; except Tetris. Tetris is awesome.

Re: Best retro games

Anything before the Genesis. Man that takes me back. I remember playing Break Out on the Atari and spending hours trying to keep that damn ball from geting past my paddle.

Pitfall drove me insane. Let's see... Mario was the shit. I look back at it and think how was that worth all the hours I dumped into it? But then I start playing it again and remember the joys of my childhood gaming.

I played a game, that the name escapes me atm, but it was basically a Bear who rode on a skateboard through levels in much like the Mario fashion. It was actually addictingly fun, but I have never see it since. For the record it was on Nintendo and if I remember correctly came in a black game case.

There is the obvious Zelda. God bless Zelda. And the unbelievably fun Super Mario Kart. I think I wasted more time shooting shells at CPU's in that then anything else as a kid.

I can remember getting Mario 2 and thinking meh. It's good, but....meh
    Then Mario 3 came out and that was like the shit. Long live the feather~!

For the most part I enjoyed Mario and the occasionaly off-beat random game, but I did love the classics. I challenged my Uncle to Street Fighter bout's dmn near every night at like 11 p.m. when I should have been asleep lol.

Fatal Fury was fun, and I played a few "Dungeon Crawlers" that I can't remember the names of aside from one. Ultima. That was such an awesome game. I know it's insanely basic compared to games now, but omg it was so fun.

I could go on an on about the wonderous games, but those are the highlights of the games I played as a kid. Btw Tetris just pissed me off. I've never liked Tetris lol. Get to some high level after hours of play all to lose it all in a matter of 2 seconds lol...
    Life is all about decisions. It is the decisions you make in life that shape you.
    sigpic

Comment

Zelda 2: Links awakening, or atleast I think that what it was called.

And jesus, who could forget the original Techmo Bowl. Hands down THE B E S T football game evar made.

RBI baseball was fun too ^^

|| 75 Warrior || 75 Black Mage || 75 Bard || 75 Beastmaster || 75 Red Mage ||

Comment

Zelda, Mario, uhmm Metriod
        ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Bubble Bobble.
          I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced View Post
            RBI baseball was fun too ^^
            i'm gonna have to go with Baseball Stars as the best baseball game on the NES. no questions asked. what was more fun than playing the Lovely Ladies over and over again to build up a nice stack of cash to recruit young talent. Baseball SImulator 1000 was pretty cool too, but is more of a arcade style sports game predecessor.

other games that bring back fond memories:

Crystalis - similar to zelda, but a bit deeper
            Blaster Master
            Rygar - thought this game was frustratingly hard
            Double Dribble - makes me smile even though its pretty crappy^^
            Battle Toads - ridiculously hard
            Ninja Gaiden - again... ridiculously hard
            The Goonies II - not sure why this was even made, but it was a lot of fun.

my list could probably go on and on.

Comment

dunno what Genesis means.. but..

Sonic 1-5 ...

Comment

Originally posted by Flanteus View Post
                dunno what Genesis means.
                Mega Drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Flanteus
                  dunno what Genesis means..
                  O.o How do you not know what a Genesis is, but you say Sonic...lol
                  Last edited by Temagori; 05-08-2008, 10:02 AM. Reason: Added 'lol" so Feba would shut up.
                  Life is all about decisions. It is the decisions you make in life that shape you.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Temagori View Post
                    O.o How do you not know what a Genesis is, but you say Sonic...
                    Ok, I know you're in Texas, and it's going to be hard for you to believe, but there are countries out there that have video games that aren't America. I know, they're so awesome, but it's true.

Comment

Mario 3. Zelda 1 and 2 are horrible games >_> Oh, yeah, Metroid 1.
                      Zelda 2: Links awakening, or atleast I think that what it was called.
                      That's technically Zelda 4, and that's not retro since for the sake of this thread, Feba wants retro to be pre-Genesis, which also means pre-SNES, and Link's Awakening was released after A Link to the Past.

Damn it, more than half the games I want to say came out after 1989.

EDIT: Puzzle Bobble came out long after the Genesis too D:

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                        Ok, I know you're in Texas, and it's going to be hard for you to believe, but there are countries out there that have video games that aren't America. I know, they're so awesome, but it's true.
                        I realize there was a Mega Drive elsewhere instead of the Genesis even though they were the same system just Sega couldn't get the legal rights for naming it so in other places. But with no location available for the person the only thing I could gather from his comment was that he only knew it by Sega.

So I know this may come as a shock to you, but your not the only one who knew of this other platform name. *Shock*
                        sigpic

Comment

King's Quest for x386.

Summer Games for Commodore 64.
                          | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
                          2/5 WAR +2
                          Farsha(85)

Comment

I had hours of fun playing Tetris, Tetris 2, Pipe Dream, and Bases Loaded 2.

Zelda will live in my heart forever, that game is still fun and challenging. I still hate those knights that you can't hit from the front!

And my first RPG love, Dragon Warrior 2.
                            sigpic
                            ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                            ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                            ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                            ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Temagori View Post
                              But with no location available for the person the only thing I could gather from his comment was that he only knew it by Sega.
                              No, the only thing you could gather is that he didn't know what a Genesis was. If you actually had known it was released in other regions under a different name, 'he thinks it's a sega' would've been in the back of your mind. Unless you're just trying to be a geocentrist dick, in which case, congratulations.

Comment

Working...
                              X