Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What SE could do, but won't.

Trinity: The expansion you have to see
    We're getting an expansion this winter, and it's real shiny. In fact, it's so shiny that we had to add a lot of other things just so you could see how shiny it is. Its shininess includes 50 man-years of work remodeling all spaceships, stargates and station exteriors and interiors, plus all the improvements and additions that go hand in hand with introducing this kind of burning luminosity. It is, in fact, a brand new graphic engine, and we're very proud of it. To show off its shininess we're adding a host of Tech II ships that include the eerie Black Ops, the spearheading Marauders and the warp-jamming Heavy Interdictors, not to mention the lockdown terrors that are the Electronic Attack Ships, and the masters of the supply chain, the Jump Freighters. That's not to mention an abundance of PvE content, including hundreds of new kill missions, and various game advancements ranging from improved drone management to new booster production regions. You'll need to see this.

I got this in my inbox, from when I played EVE. Ignoring that game altogether, this isn't even one of the more amazing graphics upgrades, and it still looks sweet. Could you imagine what it would look like if SE redid FFXI? Super sweet looking Vana'diel, compared with super sweet looking ships against a starry background would be incredible.

Re: What SE could do, but won't.

Yeah, it would be nice. But we all know why it won't happen. And to be quite honest, it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen. I don't play FFXI for the graphics (though I have no problem with them). I play for the community and the gameplay.

That said, yeah, some people would be impressed, and might pick up the game if it got an upgrade.

Comment

It's a shame though, spend some money on graphics, and a fair bit on advertising to show off said graphics, and SE would have a good shot at increasing FFXI's playerbase.

I mean hell, who here has actually SEEN an FFXI advertisement? I've only seen one. And it was in a magazine.

Comment

I don't see a lot of MMOs being advertised outside of gaming magazines as it is. I mean, yeah, I hear about WoW a lot, but that's a different story altogether.

Comment

True, I suppose, but considering FFXI is a huge game (top five in NA, isn't it?) you'd think they'd bother putting up at least a few TV ads. Hell, I'm pretty sure I've seen ads for Star Wars Freaking Galaxies.

If that train wreck gets advertisement, so should FFXI.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
            True, I suppose, but considering FFXI is a huge game (top five in NA, isn't it?) you'd think they'd bother putting up at least a few TV ads. Hell, I'm pretty sure I've seen ads for Star Wars Freaking Galaxies.

If that train wreck gets advertisement, so should FFXI.
            I agree FFXI would be wise to have the occasional tv ad. Not to mention vamping up the graphics engine would be nice.
            This said it's to keep more new faces showing up in the game as older players loose interest and fade away the newer ones can step up to replace their comunity and gameplay involvement.

On a side note before the infamious update that sent it's playerbase fleeing for the 1st available MMO in site, Starwars Galaxies was a cool MMO just someone got "creative" and gutted the system badly enough few wanted to stay.

Comment

There was the PS2 add back when it came out...

But yeah, it's a shame SE can't scrap PS2 support and go for a massive upgrade of the game...
              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Beat down on the PS2 again. /sigh

Honestly, it's quite possible to do a graphic revamp without changing a thing on PS2, if it's limited to the cosmetics. (I.e. same map, same sizes for characters, etc.) In fact, PC and xBox360 clients already use different effects graphics and higher resolution textures than the PS2 version's.

Stop blaming the PS2 for the state of graphics on PC / xBox360 clients.
                Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Malacite: There's no need to scrap the PS2.

There's absolutely no reason that the PC and 360 versions can't be upgraded to match a current game for those systems, while still allowing the PS2 to stay on it's old code.

The work to keep the PS2 FFXI working would be far less than the work to upgrade the newer versions in the first place.

Comment

All that happens is that there is a certain stream of data that comes, and the data get's represented on our screens.

The same way how if we change they was the Osode model looks on our side, then anyone with an Osode appears accordingly.

This is how SE makes up for the fact that when the game was released, they had to account for 56k connections.

All the visuals are client side and server side is the information that triggers what we see, essentially.

That said, it is feasible for them to update the graphics and/or textures for the xb360/pc versions...

But the amount of man-hours put in would be astronomical. I just wish they took more advantage of stronger cards, because it seems that even with a high-end system, there is no point in increasing resolution.

Hell, anything beyond 1024 X 768 and the words become tiny little blurbs in the chat log.
                    The Tao of Ren
                    FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                    Originally posted by Kaeko
                    As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Man it's a tough call, the problem with XI is that since it wasn't created for the PC it lacks the flexibility for this kinda thing.

I mean save for upgrading the client to handle models and effects in a better way I can't think on any way to make it so it wouldn't require 2 new models per every new item added (not even counting the remaking of current models for 2 out the 3 systems currently supported).

I'd love to see it happen though, but I'm still wondering if simply working on a current-gen sequel wouldn't be better.
                      sigpic
                      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

S-E could make model and texture improvements incremental, once new PC/xBox360 graphic engines are in place. (Those engines would have to be backward compatible, of course.)

A monster a day, one to three set of armor a week, two or three zones a month, and all rolled up into a quarterly released update. The mixture of old and the new textures and models would be jarring for a while, but we'd get over it fast enough.

Heck, I'd be willing to pay for something like a $30 "Version 2 Graphics" upgrade which would be rolled out over two years or so. Maybe they can implement swarming technology for distributing updates while they are at it...
                        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

There's also nothing saying that the effort can't be put into a current gen either.

Hell, put in all the work to overhaul FFXI, and then recycle the new models for FFXI-2, and change the gameplay, interface, story, etc. for that.

It's a win-win for everyone except the PS2 players, and they're not going to benefit from *anything* SE does to improve FFXI significantly TBH..

Comment

Anyone who has played Everquest knows how easy it is to have differing graphic qualities at the flick of a switch. They could have old models for PS2 users and a button in the options set up to toggle advanced graphics settings for PC, PS2 and 360 users.

Comment

I think the problem is the architecture of FFXI's engine.

That and right now they have a task force for RMTs, not GUIs.
                              The Tao of Ren
                              FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                              Originally posted by Kaeko
                              As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X