Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yoichi Wada calls the PS3 and 360 pieces of crap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoichi Wada calls the PS3 and 360 pieces of crap.

Well, in a more politically correct fashion that is. Development costs have got to be getting ridiculous for these next-gen games.
    PSN & XBL ID: Meicyn
    Wii Code: 6847-2608-8630-2415

Re: Yoichi Wada calls the PS3 and 360 pieces of crap.

Naturally. When speaking about DQIX, he has to justify the decision to move the series to handhelds.

If FFXIII or The Last Remnant were in discussion, he'd be bashing the Wii or DS. Wada goes where the money is.
    PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
    Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
    WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
    Currently Playing:
    FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Development costs are huge, but it doesn't really have to do with the console hardware. I'd wager that a Wii game costs nearly as much to make as a PS3 or 360 game (read: low to 7 digits in US dollars).

If you read between the lines, what Wada is talking about is that in Japan and just about everywhere else, the Nintendo DS is beating EVERY home console in unit sales, be it the Wii, PS3 or 360. He is very much "chasing the money" here.

Icemage

Comment

I'm working in the industry right now. Wii is a lot easier to develop for and therefore cheaper than X360 and PS3.

RDM 75/WHM 38/BLM 37/DRK 37/NIN 37/PLD 37 -- Cooking 96.7+1
        Image by Askannyi
        LoneGamer.net

Comment

Originally posted by LoneGamer View Post
          I'm working in the industry right now. Wii is a lot easier to develop for and therefore cheaper than X360 and PS3.
          Hey. Hire me, hire me!
          There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
          but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
          transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

I'm only a co-op, I have no authority whatsoever.

RDM 75/WHM 38/BLM 37/DRK 37/NIN 37/PLD 37 -- Cooking 96.7+1
            Image by Askannyi
            LoneGamer.net

Comment

Originally posted by LoneGamer View Post
              If this is so, then why do so many Wii games .. hmm... "suck"?

Don't take that as a sniping comment; I own a Wii. There's just absolutely nothing much to buy for it at the moment, and not a whole lot on the horizon that looks enticing either. Who cares if it costs somewhat less if you can't develop titles that people want to buy?

I'm not disputing the fact that it's easier to develop for the Wii since you don't have to do HD resolution (which simplifies a lot of things, such as models, shaders, not to mention engine source code itself), but there appears to be a hidden tradeoff of learning curve buried somewhere since the vast majority of Wii games are so milquetoast it's not even funny.

Icemage

Comment

Personally I think it just aims at different audience. I have a close friend who really enjoy her Wii games and I barely see her playing any other things. Well, she played Okami (PS2) for months and months unlocking every single thing in that game. Something I couldn't.... I got bored with Okami after a week >.>

People just enjoy different things.
                There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Like they said, they're chasing the money. They do whats best for their wallets.

Along the same lines, Microsoft said yesterday that they hope High def dvd's tank. Yes, the company thats probably the BIGGEST supporter of HD-DVD said that it hopes HD-DVD and BD both fizzle out. They want d/l'ing movies to take off and are gonna smack talk anything that competes with that.
                  I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

If this is so, then why do so many Wii games .. hmm... "suck"?
                    Because it's new. Look at the PS3, most of it's games suck too.

A year from now or so, when it's as mature as the 360, we'll have a lot of great games to chose from. Until then, we're getting a bunch of shitty movie tie-ins

Comment

He didnt really say they're crap...

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                        Because it's new. Look at the PS3, most of it's games suck too.

A year from now or so, when it's as mature as the 360, we'll have a lot of great games to chose from. Until then, we're getting a bunch of shitty movie tie-ins
                        I own 4 Wii games and 7 PS3 games (not counting online downloads). The PS3 slate, while not spectacular, is still miles and away better than the Wii slate at the moment, and more importantly it has a bunch of solid titles known to be coming to it in the very near future (next 6 months).

The Wii's most hotly anticipated titles pretty much all come from Nintendo itself, and there's no word on when the big N will release its bombshell titles (talking about Metroid Prime Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Smash Brothers Brawl).

The biggest problem I see with the Wii is that in direct comparison to Xbox 360 or PS3 versions of the same games, the Wii version loses. Every single time. That
                        s a much more chronic problem than any short term lack of titles IMO.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                          The biggest problem I see with the Wii is that in direct comparison to Xbox 360 or PS3 versions of the same games, the Wii version loses. Every single time.
                          Maybe it's because . . .

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                          we're getting a bunch of shitty movie tie-ins
                          ?

Come on, you know every time some dope with dillusions of grandeour releases some half-effort of a movie, you know that his friend is going to want to release it on video game systems. And not just one video game system, but all of them.

As I'm sure you'd guess by now, the second half-wit (the one making the video games) sees that 2/3 of the console systems have one easily translatable (as well as familiarly archaic) style, so, obviously, he caters to that style, which, as you've seen, doesn't translate well to the Wii.

The Wii dares to be different, even borderline rebellious, from the typical style of video gaming, and, while a good thing on so many levels, they kind of have to stray from the norm, as conforming to it didn't exactly pay off (see: Gamecube).

There are so many more good things I could rave about the Wii, but I think I'll stop here, as my main argument for this particular discussion sort of ended two paragraphs ago.

Like Feba said, the Wii's time will come when developers start thinking outside the box, to revive an ancient cliche, and for that to happen, I wouldn't give any more than a year. A solid Wii library can be expected to have arrived by the release of Brawl.
                          Originally posted by Armando
                          No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                          Originally posted by Armando
                          Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                          Matthew 16:15

Comment

Wii games aren't what they could be because no one expected Wii to be as successful as it has been, not even Nintendo themselves. With the demand for the console higher than 360 and PS3 and development costs lower than the two, you have a win-win scenario for developers. You know they're going to take the console a lot more seriously from here on out.

If you ask me, I think Microsoft and Nintendo are going to clean up this holiday season. Things are going to get interesting when Microsoft does a price cut this fall. They haven't officially announced it, but we all know it's coming. They'd be stupid not to. That'd bring the core system to a $200 price point, making it an attractive buy for the holiday season, which would fit really nicely with their Halo 3 push. Sony is already taking a serious hit from PS3 costs, and they'd be forced to either lower their console by $100 as well to remain competitive and suck in even greater losses which'll piss off their shareholders even more, or they'd keep the console at $600, making it twice the price of a Premium 360 which is suicide. Nintendo's hardware is so cheap to produce that they could knock it down to $150 and would still be well off.
                            PSN & XBL ID: Meicyn
                            Wii Code: 6847-2608-8630-2415

Comment

This is bizzare given his unabashed praise of PS3...

Wada has said numerous times that he can't wait to push the system to it's limits with their games (e.g. FF 13)
                              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X