X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dc Mmo?

permit me to geek out for a bit,

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cf...ure=817&bhcp=1
    The game based on the DC Comics license is being developed by a new team, based at SOE-Austin. We’ve got some great people working on the game, with experience creating not only online games, but great single-player console games as well. Plus, we have Jim Lee, one of the top artistic talents in the comics industry, serving as Executive Creative Director on the project. Our relationship with DC and Warner Bros has been fantastic, the type of licensor collaboration that a developer usually could only wish for. The game is coming along very nicely right now – we’ll have more to show and talk about next year.

Personally, I’m incredibly excited about the project and what I’ve seen of the game so far. SOE is more than just doing a game right, we’re doing the entire DC Universe right.
    Unreal 3 engine, Jim Lee in charge of art.

i think i just wet myself.

i really, really, really hope SOE doesn't screw this up like they did with SW:Galaxies or Matrix... really, really, really hope... really

Thanks Yyg!

Re: Dc Mmo?

Oh my. If this is done right, I might just have to leave FFXI. >.>
    sigpic

Comment

me too, oh wait, I did...

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

I remember reading several months ago that Marvel's got something bubbling on the pot, MMO-wise too.

I'm not sure either one will do as well as they believe; first because there's already a niche product (City of Heroes/City of Villains), and because both DC and Marvel have rarely been able to produce anything resembling a decent video game in any genre, let alone a MMORPG (which is far more complex than a standard game title).

Icemage

Comment

Yeah, Marvel definitely has something cooked up as well. I have my doubts (see Icemage's CoH/CoV comment for reference), but you never know. I guess we'll see when it comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyclown
            Oh my. If this is done right, I might just have to leave FFXI. >.>
            If you do, send all your stuff to my mule Nekoruru.

kthx
            sigpic

Comment

Marvel Vs Capcom was an excellent game featuring Marvel characters :D With SOE's performance on Matrix, SWG and EverQuest2, I seriously doubt this will even be worth page 50 in the newspaper.
              "how broken everything about ToAU is."
              "Do you have Haruhi in your daily anime diet?"
              "ok... I've quit 5 times... and failed each time miserably... they need a patch for FFXI like those nicotine ones...."
              "Finally Quit this game"

Comment

Jim Lee heading the art?

@_@;;;;;;; drooooolllllllllllllllllll
                Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

I'm more interested in Star Trek online, but then again besides Batman I have no interest whatsoever in comics, I'm a manga/anime kinda guy.

Micro rant/comment

I just hope ST online is much better than MxO.
                  sigpic
                  "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                  Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by TenchiHawkwing
                    If you do, send all your stuff to my mule Nekoruru.

kthx
                    Welcome to the F list. :D
                    sigpic

Comment

I play CoH/V now. there are some things that is seriously lacking for a "superhero" game. they almost got it right, but...

and I wouldn't hold your breath on Marvel's MMOG, there has been no word of any development. at least for DC's we have a team and some names attached.

Originally posted by Khevn
                      With SOE's performance on Matrix, SWG and EverQuest2, I seriously doubt this will even be worth page 50 in the newspaper.
                      but this is what I fear the most. Please MMOGods, let it not be so!

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Some additional notes from me, based on my knowledge and experience as a hobbyist game modification developer:

- Unreal Engine 3 is, at its core, NOT an MMORPG engine. It is a first person shooter (FPS) engine, which means mangling it into an MMORPG is going to be very difficult. I have some contacts in the game industry who are working with the UE3 engine on upcoming titles and while they all have high praise for it, that doesn't make changing the base nature of the engine any easier.

- I knew I'd seen something about this previously:
                        http://www.joystiq.com/2006/02/24/ji...ins-of-dc-mmo/

- Also note that the current projected release date is 2008 (and I think that's far too early a projection - if they attempt to release anything that soon it's going to be a terrible title).

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by neighbortaru
                          i really, really, really hope SOE doesn't screw this up like they did with SW:Galaxies or Matrix... really, really, really hope... really
                          Don't count on it. I've lost all hope in SoE. They can never redeem themselves for what they did to SWG.
                          Last edited by Mog; 08-19-2006, 07:43 AM.
                          ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus
                            I'm more interested in Star Trek online, but then again besides Batman I have no interest whatsoever in comics, I'm a manga/anime kinda guy.
                            I'm with you. I just can't take men in colourful, skin tight full body suits seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage
                              - Unreal Engine 3 is, at its core, NOT an MMORPG engine. It is a first person shooter (FPS) engine, which means mangling it into an MMORPG is going to be very difficult. I have some contacts in the game industry who are working with the UE3 engine on upcoming titles and while they all have high praise for it, that doesn't make changing the base nature of the engine any easier.

- I knew I'd seen something about this previously:
                              http://www.joystiq.com/2006/02/24/ji...ins-of-dc-mmo/
                              aye, difficult, but not impossible. They (NCSoft maybe, not sure who the actual developers are) was able to take the U2 Engine and build Lineage 2 out of it and the current speculation is that they are also building Lineage 3 out of the U3 engine.

course we'll all probably need new graphics cards to run it...

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Working...
                              X