Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A potential PS3 bombshell about " Used " games.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A potential PS3 bombshell about " Used " games.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27568

Here the article details about how playing a used game on a console other than the first one it was played on may be out of the question for wannabe PS3 owners. Although this may cut back on piracy and may help solidify potential sales of games to consumers, this is definetly a huge blow to the gaming community if it goes through. No more letting friends borrow, buy, trade games. No more taking a game over to your friends house to beat up on him/her in PDZ... unless you bring your $300+ console out of the house to brave the harsh elements like the infamous dropping bug and spilling influenza that goes around (though you dont have to leave the house for this to happen). The choice came from the higher ups, as well as Ken Kataguri himself. Unless they allow some type of exception code or similar, tis will be a sad day for Sony Loyalist and Fanboys alike along with the rest of the PS3 potential customers.
    Last edited by TBoTB; 11-10-2005, 04:41 AM.

Re: A potential PS3 bombshell about " Used " games.

Not to mention no renting. What are they thinking?!
    Typho - Elvaan - San d'Oria - Rank 10 - Titan

THF - 75 | RNG - 55 | NIN - 38 | WAR - 27 | WHM - 20 | SAM - 16 | MNK - 14 | BLM - 10

Comment

0o so your game discs will have a reading on them so you wont be able to play them in someone elses PS3? TT

Comment

Wow, then look at it from a retail perspective. Stores like EBX and GameStop push used games cause they make more profit on them than new. With their focus being so big on used games, and potentially not being able to sell used games for the PS3 >.> wow

Comment

Wow, this sucks, my store is going to die! (I work for EBGames).

This is lame... lame lame lame.

FUCK YOU SONY

As CAD would say "We're sony, FUCK PANTS"
          -Baka Inu!
          Nejiko - Mithra Current: [ 70 THF / 35 NIN ]
          Basic Jobs: [ 70 THF / 20 MNK / 11 WHM / 18 BLM / 22WAR / 05 RDM]
          Advance Jobs: [ 04 BST / 37 NIN / 02 SMN / 05RNG / 07 SAM / 07 PLD / 00 DRK / 31 BRD / 00 DRG]
          Aht Jobs: [07 COR / 00 BLU / 00 PUP]

Comment

Sony. Is. Fucking. Up. Every god damned decision they've made this generation seems to be influenced by retarded monkeys. They must think they're Nintendo and can "Get away" with things purely on name.

Ok, I digress, the problem with Sony is that they are being too ambitious for their own good. On one hand, it's good to be the thermostat in the market: Setting the temperature, making the consumers WANT your product.

On the other hand, its safer to be the thermometer, registering what consumers want and giving it.

But then again, Sony's main problem this generation is that they're doing it at a wrong time. The PS3 may be the driving factor that ushers in the HD revolution, but definately not in 2006. I wouldnt be suprised if the PS3 loses a year on the Xbox, which has been built from the ground up to be robust.

As I type this, I'm conflicted, because Sony's vision doesnt seem to be too strong now, but in the future when they launch, I'm sure they'll be a central piece of the market.

Making the PS2 last 6 years in the market is criminal when systems like the 360 will be around.
            The Tao of Ren
            FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
            Originally posted by Kaeko
            As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

It sounds interesting, and certainly nothing out from left field sadly.

The trick here is, is it all that different?

With online games, like Diablo2, and arc the lad online, ffxi, WoW, ect. They can't be rented, lended, or resold(without trust).

We have to consider 2 types of game. The ones where you go online, and the ones that don't.

It can be enforced, or rather can be enforced like the itunes DRM method. Which can activate and deactivated. It's a pain in the rear, but it's been proven to work without massive outcry.

The second type is one account per person type game like Diablo2, ffxi, etc where online = account = no dupicates.

In the next gen of online consoles games, it's not totally wrong. I don't quite like it too, but as long as they don't shove it down throats and not super annoying where you have to call customer service everytime you lend it out or loose it, etc.

IMO I rather they not us the blu ray DRM function very much and leave it to traditional Serial number like schemes, which havbe history, and people are familar with it. The worse to happen is fair rights, civil outcry making life difficult for developers.

Comment

RUMOR ALERT!! RUMOR ALERT!! <call> Stop jumping the gun!!

First off notice at the top under the header "That's the speculation" and near the end "While the PS3 hasn't been expressly mentioned in the patent in English or Japanese...! Speculation people is NOT fact! And actually this makes absolutely no sense at all. They would be shooting themselves in the foot and they know that. Think about this, most people are tech savvy that buy their products. Would a tech savvy person go for this bs?? NO! So the loss in revenue would be DRAMATIC! The chances of this being implemented on the PS3 is a snowballs chance in hell!
                Originally posted by Feba
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                Originally posted by DakAttack
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Re: A potential PS3 bombshell about &quot; Used &quot; games.

Am I the only one thats almost completely sure that this has nothing to do with games. It makes no since whats so ever to put that on video games. However, it becomes alot more beileveable if they where to put this on computer programs and stuff of that nature that you buy at the store to stop people from opening the boxes and stealing the code that is inside.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom
                    RUMOR ALERT!! RUMOR ALERT!! <call> Stop jumping the gun!!

First off notice at the top under the header "That's the speculation" and near the end "While the PS3 hasn't been expressly mentioned in the patent in English or Japanese...! Speculation people is NOT fact! And actually this makes absolutely no sense at all. They would be shooting themselves in the foot and they know that. Think about this, most people are tech savvy that buy their products. Would a tech savvy person go for this bs?? NO! So the loss in revenue would be DRAMATIC! The chances of this being implemented on the PS3 is a snowballs chance in hell!
                    Awww... you beat me to it.

TheCraft - Crafting Linkshell
                    Personality Tests

Comment

WHAT MOM SAID!

JESUS CHRIST!!!!11111

-.-

Now on to my opinion: we brought the beast home, everyone is guilty if this goes through because downloading/buying illegal copies was our doing, people need to start taking responsability for their actions

Me? i wouldnt mind this at all since ive long ago decided to stop buying illegal copies of my games, i like to support a game if i happen to like it.
                      signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

"arc the lad online" wait, what?!
                        -Baka Inu!
                        Nejiko - Mithra Current: [ 70 THF / 35 NIN ]
                        Basic Jobs: [ 70 THF / 20 MNK / 11 WHM / 18 BLM / 22WAR / 05 RDM]
                        Advance Jobs: [ 04 BST / 37 NIN / 02 SMN / 05RNG / 07 SAM / 07 PLD / 00 DRK / 31 BRD / 00 DRG]
                        Aht Jobs: [07 COR / 00 BLU / 00 PUP]

Comment

It's from the inquirer. You can't take anything in there seriously. This also would not hinder piracy at all. Piracy isn't taking a legal game from one house to another, its mass producing a single copy. In this case it claims to be removing the authenification code from the game dvd after it is read in (as if Sony would spend extra on a DVD writer feature). Easy solution, make copies before you try to load the game on a console. Also, what happens if you had a hard drive crash (or whatever permanent storage is being used with the ps3). Now you have a bunch of games you can't play and a broken ps3. This would kill the legal game rental industry which Sony wouldn't want to do either. It's fake and not going to happen.
                          Whm 75 Blm 37 Brd 75 | Bastok Rank 10 | Whm > Rdm

Comment

Just relized again in retail, stores like Blockbuster would be kinda miffed too lol.

Comment

If this did go through, which I believe it is highly unlikely, then it would really suck for me because almost all of the games I play for the PS2 I borrow from my friend since he has a huge library. It would suck to have to buy all of my own PS3 games!
                              You kill one man, your a murderer
                              Kill many and your a conquerer
                              Kill them all... your a God.

Comment

Working...
                              X