Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A potential PS3 bombshell about " Used " games.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A potential PS3 bombshell about " Used " games.

MAYBE understandable if they charged what the game actually cost to make...you know...5 bucks. W/o the excuse of losing money on piracy there really wouldnt be an excuse to make games 50 dollars apiece, especially when they're fucking over the whole market by using that proposed system. I do agree with the majority of the above posters. This is about as likely to happen as Sony sending me a check for 25% of their yearly profits.
    I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Sony's not stupid, and something like this potentiall hurts so many people that they wouldn't go that route.

I mean let's face it, how many times have you gone and bought a game due to a friend recommending one, and loaning you their copy. Upon return you go and buy the game? Would Sony really bite the hands that feeds them like that? You piss off a PS3 owner, and he stops buying Sony DvD players, stereo equipment, TVs and the like. I know as a long time consumer I wouldn't put money in the hands of a company that's screwing me.

How many of us go and buy used games? Now Sony doesn't really make money that way, but if the gaming retailers can't pay their rent at the malls with used game sales, do you think they'll still offer Sony products?

Piracy is a problem. I won't deny that, and people have been trying to think up of ways to prevent/slow it. But companies have also been using piracy as a means to limit a person/consumer's rights. A happy medium needs to be found, but this is not it. Considering the source, sounds like a way to get more hits on a web site.
      Odude
      PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
      RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
      SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

If this turns out to be true, you can pretty much bet that there will be a major boycott on Sony products. I know I'll boycott.

I really wanna get a PS3, not right when it comes out mind you, and if this happens, forget it. I'll just stick with my PS2 and buy used games for it. No more new games since Sony would profit from that.

They will not implement this though if they know what is good for them. Doing so with be akin to sticking a Colt 45 into your mouth and pulling the trigger. Sony will go down in flames. Can't argue against the fact that the Playstation market is a good chunk of their profits.

Comment

Don't know the validity of this article, but anything's more reliable than the Inquirer.

Well, fans of the PS2 and probably of the future PS3 as well, you can relax now (that is, if you had gotten nervous in the first place). Last week, there were many rumors floating around the Internet regarding a certain patent belonging to Sony, which, if adopted, would have linked the individual copies of software with the hardware.
          Sony has kept it's mouth shut on whether this patent would be used to copy protect PS3 games (although, as I've said in a previous article, to do something like that would have been plain stupid).
          However, in order to give an official answer to an already increasing wave of unrest among the gamers, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has stated, through one of its' spokespersons, that "this is false speculation and that PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console".
          There you have it. Now all they have to do is release the damn thing, cause we're all expecting it.

People believe anything they read on the internet....
          PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
          Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
          WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
          Currently Playing:
          FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Rones
            It's from the inquirer. You can't take anything in there seriously. This also would not hinder piracy at all. Piracy isn't taking a legal game from one house to another, its mass producing a single copy. In this case it claims to be removing the authenification code from the game dvd after it is read in (as if Sony would spend extra on a DVD writer feature). Easy solution, make copies before you try to load the game on a console. Also, what happens if you had a hard drive crash (or whatever permanent storage is being used with the ps3). Now you have a bunch of games you can't play and a broken ps3. This would kill the legal game rental industry which Sony wouldn't want to do either. It's fake and not going to happen.
            Agreed. It looks nothing but a big urban myth at this point.

The article itself states it as speculation. And that's considering the article-or source of the article-is of any truth. Sheep, WAKE UP damnit! People make up crap all the time on the internet simply for the fact there is no consequence to it except people won't find the source credible by much necessarily.

Edit: Hell, I just said the same thing everyone else has for the -enth time... lol

Comment

What a great rumor to spread if you were worried about the PS3 and wanted to hurt its sales at release time!! Quick, let me rush off and spread this one on a bunch of other forums. Death to Sony!! Death to Sony!!

Comment

Originally posted by klvino
                What a great rumor to spread if you were worried about the PS3 and wanted to hurt its sales at release time!! Quick, let me rush off and spread this one on a bunch of other forums. Death to Sony!! Death to Sony!!
                I started to think about that... good point. Someone who would hate Sony or the Playstation-series would surely start a rumor like this probably.

Comment

Working...
                X