X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pai Pai Master
    The Playstation 3 Lives!
    Among the many features of the system, the most prominent are the Blu Ray Disc support
    This may be true now, but could change soon. Sony (blu ray dics) and Toshiba (HD-DVD) have been meeting for the last week or so to come up with one standard Hi-def DVD for the entire entertainment community to use. Both types have been backed by different ppl (i blv microsoft is backing HD-DVD). It seems to be going well so far with only the normal "we're gonna start production now" bs at a minimum only to try and get an upper hand in negotiations.
    If they dont agree, it means we get to buy two different dvd players to play the two different types of hi def dvd's. This is pretty much all gleaned from The Digital Bits
    I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Just a quick update, here are the first released screenshots of Killzone 2 for the Playstation 3. According to IGN editors who were there for the actual show, these are real-time screenshots.

More screenshots of more PS3 titles will most likely be available in the coming days; the E3 Convention begins tomorrow afternoon.

As for BluRay, Sony has announced in its specific details about the Playstation 3 specs that it will support BluRay. I'm not sure if that means just BluRay, or perhaps the single next-gen storage format that Toshiba and Sony are trying to find an agreement on.

PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
      Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
      WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
      Currently Playing:
      FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Originally posted by TheMidg
        Goodbye and good riddance Xbox
        Omen!

I hope the PS3 looks good.
        http://www.livejournal.com/users/zandria_/
        ---
        Dra Bmyhad Ec Toehk - FF7
        ----
        Final Fantasy XI - Zandria

Comment

As for BluRay, Sony has announced in its specific details about the Playstation 3 specs that it will support BluRay. I'm not sure if that means just BluRay, or perhaps the single next-gen storage format that Toshiba and Sony are trying to find an agreement on.
          Yeah, I think at last word, they were thinking of using mainly the blu ray format, but add in a lot of the features that HD-DVD had.
          Seriously though, its gonna suck bad if they dont come to terms on format and we have to deal with two seperate formats. *Think either two of everything or one twice as expensive player* that includes pc drives too.

EDIT: The pictures didnt load till I posted....HOLY CRAP those are some sweet graphics
          I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Re: The Next-Gen War has Begun!

Originally posted by Metrou
            All of my favorite RPG's ( with the exception of FFXI ) are of that style :sweat:

My favorite RPG ever!
            Heh, Secret of mana was a fun game.

Comment

Yeah, once I got to understand the friggin menu system . . .

Anyway, I dont give 4, no wait, FIVE Shytes about Dreamcast 2, erm , XB360. Microsoft doesnt understand longevity, and at this rate, Xbox wont just die, no, it'll be buried by its own malajusted, self-serving, bigot younger brother.

GG Microsoft. Just when developers realized they can make more than FPS on Xbox, you effectively kill it. And now PS3 sitts exactly where PS2 is. We all trumpeted the Dreamcast when it came out. And those uber commercials- "It's thinking" (I actually liked those, despite my Sega-Propaganda that Nintendo fed me for all my gaming life). Then, at the point where Dreamcast was supposed to change gaming forever, PS2 came out, crushed the hype, and effectively became the number one console in homes for the next 6 years.

Hell, when Xbox and Gamecube were launched, we were privy to MGS2, DMC and FFXI in the same month. Not to mention Jak And Daxter. ITs no suprise that during that holiday season, despite having better graphics at launch than 2nd gen PS2 games, the sheer amount of content allowed Sony to STILL move more units than it's competitors.

Now wee turn to the new generation, and despite making a wonderful-looking system, and upgrading probably theh best thing to happen to online games since the modem (XBLive is the Holy Grail of online games. . . ), Microsoft is very much the 2nd grader left out when the 5th graders come to play dodgeball. They, for some reason, have never ceased to amaze me in that they have been given a perfectly fresh template, and fudged it up by catering to "Hardcore" gamers.

Oh, and check this out, Microsoft is now trying to get the EveryDay Man to play XB360. Isnt that dandy? Instead of the market focusing on the quality games that insightful gamers can appreciate, due to the SHEER NUMBER of asshats that will own XB360 just for the sake of being "cool" or "cause its the thing to have", XB360 will officially become the new Ipod, and our coveted market will pump out games based on feedback from 14 year old boys who just discovered themselves and want to be able to gut their trouts while playing DOA-4D, and 16 year old girls who think that the new Britney spears album on XBLive is the best way to find their slut-ware.

Once again, GG micrsoft. If you cant take over the videogame industry due to the crafty japs outsmarting you for 5 years running, you'll decide that you might as well make it so unlivable, everyone want to go back too PCs.

Good Job.

Asshats. . .
              The Tao of Ren
              FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
              Originally posted by Kaeko
              As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

That may not be completely true. The Xbox finally began to pick up momentum in the US recently, and it may just play nicely for a smooth transition to the Xbox360. You forget that while the Playstation 3 is clearly superior to the Xbox360 in terms of technology, the Xbox360 is just about half a year ahead of the competition, and isn't filled with empty promises like the Sega Dreamcast. Even if the Xbox360 doesn't win the top spot because of its first release, it may be enough to keep Microsoft in 2nd place, unless the Revolution either turns out to be the most amazing thing in the universe, or if it has like 8 Zelda games in its launch.
                Rockman - Fairy

Currently Playing:

Comment

. . .unless the Revolution either turns out to be the most amazing thing in the universe, or if it has like 8 Zelda games in its launch.
                  Nintendo and I have a give-take relationship. I give them my trust and they take away my sanity. I mean, we all knew the GC was on its last legs. The Fanboys were ready to pounce for the kill. Then BAM, a new Zelda. Now everyone is happy, no one is mad. And while we know we're being duped, Nintendo knows that everyone and their dog will buy two copies of Zelda just for the sake of having one to play and one to look at while your doing things that require you to not be able to play.

Same thing with revolution. "Um, we have a boz with some cool looking LEDs, basically the same components as our last system, and no stats on the specs. Oh, and Sony and Microsoft are rapin us in terms of technology. And we also havent revealed what the controller looks like. Here's Zelda" And no one cared.

>< That makes me so mad that we are all aware with this, but we are powerless. Oh well, I'm not gonna but Revolution for its innovative 3rd party games. Or it's boundary breaking sports/fighting/fps/racing titles. Everyone buys Nintendo for a system that is fun to use. Now excuse me, I have to fight my girlfriend for rights to play Animal Crossing. . .
                  The Tao of Ren

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                  As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

...it may be enough to keep Microsoft in 2nd place, unless the Revolution either turns out to be the most amazing thing in the universe, or if it has like 8 Zelda games in its launch.
                    Choked on my lunch when I read that Pai! LOL Good one!

Well I have seen a lot. In fact, the entire evolution of gaming. The good, the bad, and the ugly. This is what bothers me. I see that gamers are put into catagories (don't we love to do that? LOL) One catagory of gamer is the one that looks beyond the entertainment value of the game. Some consider gaming an art form. They believe there should be awards, like Emmy's, for the gaming community. (And I'm not talking about that gay shit that G4 has.) Gaming is much more to them than entertainment. Innovative graphics, intriguing storylnes, titillating dialouge, smooth controls, variety of styles, etc are things they look for in a game. I like to call these people "avid gamers". Now this is not a "hardcore gamer". To me, that is someone that can plunk themselves down and sit for hours on end playing a game with the single minded thoughts of either beating it (with all items or as fast as possible etc), beating others, and getting uber.

What bothers me is that there is no love for the avid gamer. They cater to the "casual gamer", the "hardcore gamer", and the "weekend warrior gamer". Its rare to see a game come out that takes all of the good qualities a game can be and put them into one game. A game that would make an avid gamer happy. Games that would make the majority of gamers happy. Years ago, this type of love was put into the majority of titles. But its a rare occasion as of late.

While I look forward to new systems being released, it also worries me. We are always looking at what the system can do for us and not focusing on what the games can do. I can still play SNES games and be thrilled more than most of the current systems. What the system can do is only a small part of what gamers should be clammering for. When you plunk down that $50 for a game (soon to be $60), you should know that careful thought, hard work, and most of all love for the gaming genre was put into that game. But, alas, that is rarely the case nowadays. The avid gamer grieves.
                    Originally posted by Feba
                    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                    Originally posted by DakAttack
                    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I grieve when I realize that Chrono Cross is the sequal to Chrono Trigger. Yeah, avid gamers need a place too. I mean, what with SE releasing 5 games a year every 4 years now.
                      The Tao of Ren

Comment

Well despite my lack in faith that the Revolution will be the #1 next-gen system, I'll still be in line to buy it the morning it comes out, and the same with the Playstation 3. Hypothetically, they could release Zelda on the Xbox360 and I'd buy it.

That's my take on the Playstation 3, TheGrandMom. While Microsoft is busy trying to get Catholic schoolgirls to pay for Xbox Live so they can make t-shirts in Tony Hawk and sell them to players but trying to say that they don't have to become nerds by playing videogames online...(deep breath)...and while Nintendo is trying to make up for their lack of good games in development for Revolution by allowing their consumers to pay for the ability to play their old games which have already sold millions on their Nintendo Revolution console, Sony is focusing on delivering the best gaming experience to people who want to play Next-Generation videogames. It may seem strange to say, but Sony seems to be the one focusing on the actual act of playing videogames this time. They haven't been putting much focus on an online network or being able to hook your PS3 up to your microwave so you can heat up your hotpockets and not have to get up from playing Metal Gear Solid 4.

J. Allard, a popular analyst of the gaming industry, predicts that the first company to sell 10 million of their next-gen console will take the first place mark, and Microsoft will reach over 1 billion consumers with their Xbox360.

The guy's an idiot.

Its rare to see a game come out that takes all of the good qualities a game can be and put them into one game.
                        Katamari Damacy is one of the few games of the current generation that comes to mind when you mention that.
                        Last edited by Pai Pai Master; 07-20-2005, 09:14 AM.
                        Rockman - Fairy

Currently Playing:

Comment

That thing is gonna be awesome. Probly like $1,000 or something lol. F^ckin crazy specs.
                          In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
                          And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
                          Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
                          Yeah, It’s true.
                          It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

. . .or being able to hook your PS3 up to your microwave so you can heat up your hotpockets and not have to get up from playing Metal Gear Solid 4.
                            Yeah, I used to make jokes about having a Cell processor in my blender so I can make a smoothie while playing FFXI >.> Interesting that many ppl share the same outrageous views

J. Allard. . .The guy's an idiot.
                            Thats all you had to say. Everyone knows.

And Katamari WAS my favorite game when I bought it, but lvl 7 where you have to make a ball 6m in size is kicking my arse, forcing me to cry myself to sleep. Aside from that, this is probably the one game I can consistently play, that makes me smile. My cousin was crying when we buried his turtle, and then right afterwards, I showed the intro of KD to him, and all was well. This game lifts depression, fights cancer and is perfect if you happen to be stoned at the moment.

"Katamari Kures Kancer" Will be a title in the newspaper soon.

*Note, dont mean to offend anyone who is experiencing cancer, has someone in the family with cancer, or lost someone due to cancer. Its just my belief that laughter is an integral part of any healing process, and Katamari is 100% guranteed to make someone smile.

Oh, and with your permission, I'm gonna put the comment about SchoolGirls, Tony hawk and Revolution in my Signature ^^
                            The Tao of Ren

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy
                              That thing is gonna be awesome. Probly like $1,000 or something lol. F^ckin crazy specs.
                              If I remember the price I had heard for the PS3 was like $499 half way there >.>

As for the Blu-Ray I thought it was capable of reading the HD-DVDs as well? The Xbox 360 though last specs I saw wasn't supporting HD-DVD it was just Toshiba trying to compete with Blu-Ray. Kind of funny in a way because Toshiba is suppose to be working with Sony, and IBM with the development of the Cell Processor and here they are budding with Blu-Ray which Sony is planning to use.

Really I personally like the Blu-Ray specs a LOT better, they didn't do something cheezy like just add a thicker layer of protection to protect all the tracks and whatnot to make the HD-DVDs. Blu-Ray discs read layer is like 0.1mm thick were the HD-DVDs are 0.6mm thick. The Blu-Ray uses a new developed coating that can protect it from really harsh treatment, HD-DVDs just used the same old coating technology and just made it thicker to hopefully protect it longer.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy
                                Hopefully, Sony wont lose TOO much money in making the behemoth. Arguably, it cost them 100 to make the Blur Ray reader, 100to make the graphics card and 100 to make the Cell processor. Then you need all the things that connect them. I wont be suprised if the manufacturing cost of the PS3 is in excess of 600-700 dollars. Of course, Sony knows damn well that despite the fact that there WILL be people who would want the PS3 no matter what the cost (i for one am in that category), they will lose a humongeous portion of their fanbase if they go over 400 dollars, which it looks like they may be forced to.

On the subject of which, making a system of such proportions will no doubt pay off for Sony in the end. Despite making no money of hardware, the fact that they may have the best option for gamers will mean developers will flock to their system as well, and in turn, make better games and more games, and the last two generations will repeat themselves. Nintendo has the experience and Microsoft has. . . the avid fans who'll deny the fact that XB sucks and blows worse than a squid trying to move through a reverse ocean current during spawning season, but we cant forget that Sony is a Technological powerhouse in their own right, and they make sure to put the best products on the market.

Dont be suprised if we're calling this fight already.

Edit: Saw Macht's post.

Blu-Ray /HD DVD deal fell through. Hard. and Fast. Like a fat hooker who gets drunk in the trunk of a Tachoma. In any case, who needs HD DVD. I think it's weakness is that its not enough punch to be a next step, whereas Blu-Ray is just what the doctor ordered.
                                Last edited by WishMaster3K; 07-20-2005, 11:18 AM.
                                The Tao of Ren

Comment

Working...
                                X