Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CERN announces new particle discovered. Consistent with the Higgs Boson.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CERN announces new particle discovered. Consistent with the Higgs Boson.

New Particle Found, Consistent With Higgs Boson - WSJ.com

Higgs boson found: Scientists find 'God particle' after 40-year search in a 'momentous day for science' | Mail Online

The Dailymail link is hosting a live cast of a press conference as of this posting.

Re: CERN announces new particle discovered. Consistent with the Higgs Boson.

Oh. This was on CNN this morning. ((I only watched it because CNN is on play on the tV at work. -.-; ))

Its being called the "God Particle.", and they are going to try and use it to plan on unlocking more secrets. -Shrugs.- Just scientists needing to know more stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
      Just scientists needing to know more stuff.
      Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the most insightful summary of the biggest finding in Particle Physics since the confirmation of the existence of the Electron over 90 years ago; a discovery, that like the confirmation of the existence of electrons, will have a massive impact on the development of modern and future technology.
      Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
      Reiko Takahashi
      - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

CERN scientists inexplicably present Higgs boson findings in Comic Sans | The Verge
        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

-Shrugs.- Just scientists needing to know more stuff.
          e=mc2

Just some letters and numbers that some guy felt like writing down.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
          99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
          99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

Might as well also add this old cliché but it's still true nonetheless:

If you think you understand particle physics, you do not understand particle physics.
            Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
            Reiko Takahashi
            - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
            Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Its being called the "God Particle."
              To be fair to Takelli, this is a name that the media has insisted on using to make the particle a more interesting sell; yet it has nothing to do with the function of the particle, vastly overstates its importance, and is basically completely useless in understanding what it actually does. Despite the fact that most scientists don't like the term, the media's constant use of it makes it seem official, and there are enough people already offended by science's "attack" on religion.

Apparently it was originally intended to be "Goddamn Particle", but the publisher didn't let that one go.

Interestingly, this is not contained to English media-- but it is also not universal. Chinese news is calling it the god particle. Japanese news is calling it the Higgs particle.

Comment

Whatever. Where's my Holodeck and replicator?
                sigpic
                "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Oh. This was on CNN this morning. ((I only watched it because CNN is on play on the tV at work. -.-; ))

Its being called the "God Particle.", and they are going to try and use it to plan on unlocking more secrets. -Shrugs.- Just scientists needing to know more stuff.
                  ...it's attitudes like this that make me weep for the future of humanity.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                    ...it's attitudes like this that make me weep for the future of humanity.

Icemage
                    There are some things that aren't meant to be known. Why do we need to know the secrets of life, and the secret to create life? Just for example.

Comment

There are some things that aren't meant to be known. Why do we need to know the secrets of life, and the secret to create life? Just for example.
                      Interestingly enough that's what religions hope you to believe. Then proceed to pass the tray so you can dump your money inside.
                      sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
                        Interestingly enough that's what religions hope you to believe. Then proceed to pass the tray so you can dump your money inside.
                        Religion? Eh.

I believe in what I want, not what they try to force down my throat.

Comment

Knowledge is power, and in humanity's case it's the power to decide where we want to go. Do you want to extend your time alive? How about eliminate current diseases? Just because you understand how a life works at a molecular level or how the chemical reactions in your brain create the illusion of consciousness it doesn't mean you'll stop thinking or wont appreciate the "miracle" of being alive.
                          sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

There are some things that aren't meant to be known.
                            Says who?

Comment

Yeah nothing terrible has ever come of science.

Aside from the Holocaust, or psychiatrists that still try to treat homosexuality as a mental illness when it was tossed out of the DSM in the 70s. That functioning drone we just lost to al-Qaida? Whoops.

Funny how all these things have science and religion involved. Hitler used religion to reel in the stragglers. Religion is usually the ulterior motive to treating homosexuals and transsexuals with, but the treatments (the drugs prescribed) yeild consistently bad results like, oh, suicide. Dunno if those that love to die for Allah will use the drones, though, given you're promised like 77 virgins in the afterlife. I think that's the recruitment schtick anyway.

I do understand in many cases science can be used for good. So can religion quite often. Still, I'd rest easier if I knew the CDC wasn't keeping samples of shit that could wipe out the global population just to make something even more potent. It's going to be more like The Stand than the Walking Dead when someone slips up on that.

Comment

Working...
                              X